Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good books for post?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Good books for post?
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »
Hey folks, I'm a compulsive taper and I tend to pull decent enough tapes, however like all recordings, I'm sure that they would only improve if I knew what the heck to do once I put it on the computer.  I've heard all sorts of before / after mixes and I must say that this remastering (is that the right term?) process is quite enticing.  Now I understand that mix-downs and EQ'ig / compression, etc are not the sort of things I'll be good at overnight, just as I understand that they is not the sort of this which is objectively quantifiable, but rather incorporate tons of subjective decision making... nonetheless I am really interested to get involved in mixing my recordings and as such, I am wondering if anyone here might be able to recommend some good, entry level software, books, or anything else which might help me get me moving on this learning process.  Thanks very much for everything!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Good books for post?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz
is the mastering bible. It would be a good place to start to learn about how to tweak sound, some tips on how to preserve quality, and will leave room for you to get your hands dirty and try out some software tools available and understand the plugins.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
He beat me to it.  Yup, Katz's book is the bible.  I think Vol II just came out.  It is not an easy read, but, my friend, get good post work done is hard to learn.  It is great fun to enjoy, though.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:41:29 AM »
Thanks guys, T's to ya!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com