Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Acoustic Guitar Recording Mics?  (Read 12674 times)

Offline jim1274

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Acoustic Guitar Recording Mics?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 05:13:33 PM »
I have both mc930's and some naiant xt's.  Call me crazy...I have to say, I kind of like my naiant's on my acoustic over the beyers....ymmv.  as a plus, they are really cheap.

fair to say i don't have the top of the line guitar either and it has it's own personality:  "Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo Acoustic Guitar"

pre was a v3, close mic'd...

--Michael

Did a quick search and it seems those Naiants are primarily used as a drum/overhead mic?  Not that they would not be good for acoustic or other uses....

Different mic "flavors" are sure a fun part of this game...

just one of those things.  if it sounds good, it is good (opinion, of course).  my personal fave for that naiant so far, even though that is not what i purchased it for.  again, i'm in a finished basement (not a controlled studio setting), a hobbyist with some rotating toys, and i really do like it better than my mc930 on my guitar.  mp3's upon request...if you don't make fun of my lack of skill..

EDIT to add that I have used them to record loud shows indoors/outdoors, my daughters xmas recital in a public school auditorium, on a set of hi-hats, as drum OH's, and on ride cymbal....on my guitar I like 'em best.  I like them on the hi-hat/ride too.  for my room the mc930's sound best up top of the drums...

Found this post on Gearslutz that said basically the same thing you did--nice for acoustic guitar and other utility applications, but the X-S version in this instance:

CLIP: Naiant X-S pair on acoustic guitar

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/192261-clip-naiant-x-s-pair-acoustic-guitar.html

I'm definitely going to have to score a pair of some version of this X series.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
U87 -> Avalon 737.
this rig can actually make turds sound good.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »
mp3's upon request...if you don't make fun of my lack of skill..

I did this several months ago.  Guitar mentioned above.  The pre was a presonus firestudio.  This is the only comp I have handy. 

Mics close, but I don't remember which was closer to the the sound hole this time...guessing the Beyer.  Individual files posted, as well as, the track used in my final mix - a little of both mics ("mix" used lightly..I just add a little of this and a little of that until I like it..just a hobby).  I get different results every time, but usually I add more (or all) Naiant than Beyer. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8d8ad69529feb83cab1eab3e9fa335caeafcfd95b4a1032c

--Michael
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:34:17 PM by mblindsey »
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
mp3's upon request...if you don't make fun of my lack of skill..

I did this several months ago.  Guitar mentioned above.  The pre was a presonus firestudio.  This is the only comp I have handy. 

Mics close, but I don't remember which was closer to the the sound hole this time...guessing the Beyer.  Individual files posted, as well as, the track used in my final mix - a little of both mics ("mix" used lightly..I just add a little of this and a little of that until I like it..just a hobby).  I get different results every time, but usually I add more Naiant than Beyer. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8d8ad69529feb83cab1eab3e9fa335caeafcfd95b4a1032c

--Michael
Thanks, Michael!  I'm headed to the link now....

Anybody else using versions of the Naiant mics on acoustic guitar, either on the guitar soundboard mount or close-mic'd?  This REALLY has my interest piqued....

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »

Anybody else using versions of the Naiant mics on acoustic guitar, either on the guitar soundboard mount or close-mic'd?  This REALLY has my interest piqued....

No sweat, but as you probably know....move a mic an inch in any direction on an acoustic guitar and you can get an all new sound.  Any comp by me on my home instruments should be considered unscientific (and not done by a professional).  Opinions above...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:04:49 PM by mblindsey »
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 09:53:27 PM »

No sweat, but as you probably know....move a mic an inch in any direction on an acoustic guitar and you can get an all new sound.  Any comp by me on my home instruments should be considered unscientific (and not done by a professional).  Opinions above...

Yeah, got it on the placement challenge.  Up close, and inch can make a lot of difference.  That is what makes it tough to try several mics at once and get a useful and valid comparison.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com