Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 vs. AT ES943/O (SP-CMC-8 omnis) - a real-world comparison  (Read 13170 times)

Offline echo1434

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
After listening to lots of different recordings, I arrived at the suspicion that these two kinds of mics must sound very similar to each other when put under the same circumstances. So this past summer I decided to run two rigs at a festival I attended. Well, I had no idea that the results would be quite as striking as they were. The rigs in question:

Danish Pro Audio 4061 (Core Sound High End Binaurals, matched pair) > Core Sound HEB battery box (no roll-off) > Edirol R-09 (48/24, line in - record level 20)

Audio-Technica ES943/O (Sound Professionals SP-CMC-8 omnis w/ low-sens mod, matched pair) > SP-SPSB-8 (no roll-off) > Edirol R-09 (48/24, line in - record level 14)

Both pairs of mics were head-mounted, with only a small piece of electrical tape separating them. I was perhaps 15 rows back from the stage, about somewhere between the center and the right stack.

I had previously determined that the ATs with low sensitivity mod had almost exactly 6 dB more gain than my DPAs, so I set the levels on my Edirols accordingly. And no surprise, both recordings have almost exactly the same levels, within a few tenths of a decibel!

Please remember that the CMC-8s in question here are OMNIS, and not the ever-present cardioid version (which sound completely different).

I'm not even going to reveal which sample is which yet, as I know people will have preconceptions about how each mic "should" sound and which is better.

I will admit this was not the very best-sounding show I've ever attended, but it was far from the worst. I still think it suggests that these mics should always perform similarly at a typical rock show.

The samples:

http://www.imaginary-lemurs.com/samples/firehouse2008-07-25_e.flac
http://www.imaginary-lemurs.com/samples/firehouse2008-07-25_o.flac

The E and O designations are simply an arbitrary way to differentiate the two recordings.

Absolutely NO editing has been done to these samples, except trimming them to have the same beginning and end points, and then converting to FLAC.

I'd highly recommend either running a true ABX test with something like Foobar, or at least inserting both samples into a multitrack and toggling back and forth to get an idea of the real "difference" between the two.

Other thoughts:

I've had the opportunity to test several sets of DPA 4061s and AT ES943s, and the ATs always have 6 dB more gain than the DPAs. Therefore, the ATs *without* the low-sens mod should be slightly more sensitive than DPA 4060s (by about 2 dB) Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable recording the loudest of loud rock shows without the low-sens mod. Really, I think the 943s with low-sens mod have an ideal sensitivity, being virtually halfway between DPA 4060s and 4061s.

I was unaware that CMC-8 omnis even existed until long after I purchased my DPAs. In retrospect, I'm not sure if I'd even have bothered buying the DPAs if I could do it all over again. The only advantage I feel they have is that they're smaller, and perhaps that they're more water resistant than the ATs (although I'm not sure how they'd stand up in the rain or something like that). Other than that, I think the biggest "advantage" of DPAs is the snob appeal they carry, being roughtly $700 more than the CMC-8s.

On the other hand, I think the CMC-8s have a few advantages, such as the interchangeable elements. And as mentioned before, the sensitivity may be viewed as more optimal for rock shows after the low-sens mod is performed.

In the end, the sound difference between the two is so small that I absolutely could not recommend one over the other under normal circumstances.

Finally, I am not affiliated with Sound Professionals — I simply discovered these mics after trying to find a good pair of omnis for some friends who didn't want to shell out the dough for a pair of DPAs. I just thought think this knowledge could be helpful to tapers in general as the omni version of these mics seems virtually unknown at the present time.

At only a slightly higher price than regular Core Sound Binaurals, it's a shame that everyone doesn't know about them. Well, now I hope more people do!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:18:17 PM by echo1434 »

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 4061 vs. AT ES943/O (SP-CMC-8 omnis) - a real-world comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »
I don't think the 943 omni's are unknown? Just not widely used.  I have a set of omni caps, guns, and the cards. 

I am going to guess:

E: DPA
O: 943

Both sound damn fine to my ears.  Proves you don't have to spend so much to get quality results.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline echo1434

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »
I don't think the 943 omni's are unknown? Just not widely used.  I have a set of omni caps, guns, and the cards.

Well, not completely unknown... I just meant that CMC-8s are known as a cardioid microphone more than anything.

For example, if you look at all the CMC-8 recordings that people share/trade (there are quite a few of them), I bet that 90% of them are cards, maybe 5% of them hypers, and then just a handful of omnis.

By comparison, look at all the omnis people most commonly use (DPAs, OKMs, Sonics, Core Sound). It's rather disproportionate.

That's all I was trying to say.

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:29:40 AM »
That's probably because cards are better for stealthing usually, as more often than not you're in a less than ideal position.

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:17:09 AM »
Thanks lot the sound amples an your effort, its a day and night difference between them. My Bias is going to DPA better defined top end, wider Stereo image. The AT jumps more in the face and is more hollow, with the DPA `s you can go deeper into the soundstructure, because its not sticking all thogether. 
Did you have wich cap on the DPA`s? Or just plain naked, its sounds different to.

About Tech Spes: when you know how to read/interpret the Polar Diagramm there is an symetry what you can expect to hear. Top Notch  Mics good mics have all something in common, wich you can see in  the Polar, if you know where to look at.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:29:11 AM by headroom »

Offline echo1434

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:48:12 AM »
Thanks lot the sound amples an your effort, its a day and night difference between them. My Bias is going to DPA less boomy and fat and better definedl top end, wider Stereo image. Phase Problem with the AT`s its weird. Bot Omnis can easely Equalized a bit. Did you have wich cap on the DPA`s? Or just plain naked, its sounds different to.

I had the basic soft boost grid on the DPAs.

You say the difference is night and day... So which is which?  8)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 06:14:02 AM »
6 out of 6 correct

My guess?
E: DPA
O: 943

I will admit this was not the very best-sounding show I've ever attended, but it was far from the worst. I still think it suggests that these mics should always perform similarly at a typical rock show.

I disagree and think that the better the source sounds, the more apparent the differences will become.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »
My playback: (can't use my monitors, wife is asleep):
wmp11 w/ xiph flac plugin -> USB2.0 -> SuperPro DAC707SE -> Headstage MiniAmp PRO -> Beyerdynamic DT880
(no crossfade, no eq, no bullshit)
I also imported these into CEP2.1 to look at the wavforms.....

e: low frequency deeper and warmer (people that don't like that sound might call it slightly muddy), highs seem fairly natural
o: more mid/high clarity, but at the expense of a natural sound....

My guess:
E:DPA
O:943

FWIW, there isn't a terrible amount of difference between the sources.  I agree with Gutbucket, in a more intimate and better sounding situation I think the difference would be much easier to distinquish....  Recording a loud rock band through a PA system standing in the middle of the room isn't going to give us much to wrok with.....  In this situation I think a good dynamic mic would pull a recording that would be satisfactory compared to these recordings....

EDIT: I didn't realize headstage's first laungage isnt english.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:57:16 AM by Javier Cinakowski »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
<clip>

I had previously determined that the ATs with low sensitivity mod had almost exactly 6 dB more gain than my DPAs, so I set the levels on my Edirols accordingly. And no surprise, both recordings have almost exactly the same levels, within a few tenths of a decibel!

<clip>

I've had the opportunity to test several sets of DPA 4061s and AT ES943s, and the ATs always have 6 dB more gain than the DPAs. Therefore, the ATs *without* the low-sens mod should be slightly more sensitive than DPA 4060s (by about 2 dB) Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable recording the loudest of loud rock shows without the low-sens mod. Really, I think the 943s with low-sens mod have an ideal sensitivity, being virtually halfway between DPA 4060s and 4061s.

<clip>

I think there is some sort of problem with these sensitivity figures.  The ES943/O is listed by AT as having a sensitivty of 10 mV/Pa, whereas DPA specs the 4060 and 4061 at 20 mV/Pa and 6 mV/Pa, respectively.  So the stock AT should be about 4.5 dB more sensitive than the 4061 (and about 6 dB less sensitive than the 4060).  If the tested AT's are actually 6 dB more sensitive than the 4061's, then they should have a sensitivity around 12 mV/Pa, which would make the low-sens mod'ed mics more sensitive than the stock mics!

Offline blastroknow

• Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
I think e = DPAs and o = ATs

Thanks for doing the comparison!

As an owner of both DPA and AT I can't say I love one more than the other - they each have applications where they shine the best.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
I think e = DPAs and o = ATs

Thanks for doing the comparison!

As an owner of both DPA and AT I can't say I love one more than the other - they each have applications where they shine the best.

you're telling me there isn't one perfect tool for all jobs ?   

:)

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
Thanks lot the sound amples an your effort, its a day and night difference between them. My Bias is going to DPA less boomy and fat and better definedl top end, wider Stereo image. Phase Problem with the AT`s its weird. Bot Omnis can easely Equalized a bit. Did you have wich cap on the DPA`s? Or just plain naked, its sounds different to.

I had the basic soft boost grid on the DPAs.

You say the difference is night and day... So which is which?  8)
As I said in the first Post  O=AT E = DPA

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 06:39:12 PM »

your first post doesn't say anything like that............

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:08 PM »
Weird...somehow I think the AT sounds better anyway. I could tell the difference though too.
(Both are a little distorted too.)
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 03:41:27 AM »

your first post doesn't say anything like that............

Ok here
My Bias is going to DPA better defined top end, wider Stereo image. The AT jumps more in the face and is more hollow, with the DPA `s you can go deeper into the soundstructure, because its not sticking all thogether. 
 O=AT first on the MP3  E = DPA second on the MP3 in the Tread above. Was not clear?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com