Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BNC > XLR for Timecode?  (Read 11289 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
BNC > XLR for Timecode?
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
Anybody know how to wire this? I imagine it would be the same wiring as an RCA > XLR.
I think I saw someone say shield to 1, pin to 2, and jump 3 to 1. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
Re: BNC > XLR for Timecode?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
Are you sure you mean Timecode? This sounds more lika WordClock to me. If so, read on.

Which end has the output -- BNC or XLR? It might also depend on whether the equipment fully conforms to spec and uses transformers, some do short-cuts.

Making these changes without transformers are tricks. They will not work on long length cables and might even with short cables have problems. Quite often they work though. Generally I would not connect pin 1 of the XLR to the BNC except to the shield of the cable. 2 to middle pin of BNC, 3 to shell.

// Gunnar

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:12 AM »
BNC would be wordclock. It's not really a timecode.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline modmike

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »
BNC can be lots of things. 

I used XLR to BNC time code (SMPTE) cables for linear videotape editing (Sony C-format 1") back in the stone age, but all I can remember is that that the pin connections were NOT always the same -- and sometime 2 was hot -- sometimes 3 was hot on the XLR end. 

With modern gear you may have to try both ways.  Have you tried the vendor's tech support -- or are you interfacing gear that has no support anymore.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »
This is definitely timecode. I'm running out of a Canon XL H1, (BNC 75 ohm) into the timecode input (XLR 75 ohm) of a Tascam HDP2.

I managed to wire this up already and I was correct with my initial thought. I found an XLR with a wire already soldered to it, connected red wire (XLR pin 2) to BNC pin, connected black wire and shield (XLR 3 & 1) to BNC barrel.

Edit to add... so does anyone know how long of a cable run I can make with this? Not too long I suspect since it's not a balanced connection. Maybe give or take 30 feet or so?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:30:38 PM by taper420 »

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »
Ah ok. I didn't realize that they used BNC for that.

If you are interested, Rapco makes a real small line balancing transformer gizmo that would be ideal for you. It's very small and would allow you to run a longer balanced cable.

We just got a couple of these to convert some unbalanced mixer outputs to balanced XLR's.
See DB Blox on this page. http://www.rapco.com/Catalog2/blox.aspx#
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com