Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: blu ray player that plays gapless dvd-A?  (Read 7922 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
blu ray player that plays gapless dvd-A?
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:45 PM »
Are there any?  Under $500 preferred.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:59:30 PM by Mark Burgin »

• Support Festival Radio
Re: blue ray player that plays gapless dvd-A?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:33:09 PM »
So I assume one doesn't exist?  Oh well, I just hold onto the Pioneer and look for a blueray player.

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »
Indications from some of the major media outlets are that Blu-Ray may become a dead format in the near future as high-speed internet connections will allow people to download / stream HD content on television sets.  I recently picked up a Marantz DV-7001 player that plays everything except Blu-Ray.  It plays gapless DVD-A, SACD, DVD, and CD formats.  It cost me around $600 and it is a fantastic unit.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
Really?  I thought Blu Ray won out over HD?  What would replace it then?  Guess I'll hold off for now.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
Indications from some of the major media outlets are that Blu-Ray may become a dead format in the near future as high-speed internet connections...

Not until a nationwide and functional 4G service becomes ubiquitous.

I'd guess about 7 - 10 years.

BlueRay is far from defunct.
50GB on a BR-DL that can travel on a plane, train, bus, and into the hinterlands is difficult to trump.
Hell, we still have people on dial-up!    :o

Back in telecom school, we did an exercise where we calculated the bandwidth of a VW Microbus full of DAT tape traveling at 65MPH across the US on Rt. 80.
If we did that same exercise with a Prius full of Dual-Layer BlueRay, you'd be amazed how much Fibre it would take to equal it.

In fact... how may blueray discs do you think a Prius can hold?    :wink2:
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jlykos

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
Really?  I thought Blu Ray won out over HD?  What would replace it then?  Guess I'll hold off for now.  Thanks for the info.

Direct connections from the internet to your TV set would replace it.  Netflix already has online videos for rent (and is expected to offer HD soon) and cable operators are expected to offer some sort of HD on demand service in the near future.  I don't expect that Blu-Ray will fully die out soon after the success of the PlayStation 3 and such, but I do expect it to be de-emphasized and for big box stores to devote less shelf space to the format in the future.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline anhisr

Re: blu ray player that plays gapless dvd-A?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
problem with the download theory is, the internet providers are starting to cap your usage.  Go over and you pay more.  Now you have to look at the total cost of the movie you want to watch. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »

Netflix already has online videos for rent (and is expected to offer HD soon) and cable operators are expected to offer some sort of HD on demand service in the near future.

The current quality of Netflix streaming is definitely low-def, blocky, and, in general, sucks.

Cable operators already offer HD on demand, as do several telephone companies in major markets in the U.S..

Will these substitute for BluRay?
Consider how much of the book market has been impacted by the Kindle.
And the Kindle allows archiving and a library, whereas "On-Demand" services try to do exactly the opposite.

People were taping and archiving their favorite "streaming" commercial TV shows ten years ago.
BluRay will be the way to do this for HD.

I'll pull this thread up in two years, and I'll bet BluRay is still in play.
Check you then.      ;)
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:47 PM »
I would hope to move full circle as the compact flash / solid state becomes cheaper and cheaper. Just like an Atari 2600 we go back to using cartridges :) They would just contain ridiculous amounts of storage capacity. I would prefer a unit with less moving parts and as the PC / Playback line gets continually muddled I would hope for that move.

Considering the portable market would be ideal for a compatible small "card" type of movie media im surprised they haven't made the move yet.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jlykos

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
Here's a recent New York Times article about the prospects for Blu-ray.  It sums up a lot of the points that I have read over the past year or so.

January 5, 2009
Blu-ray’s Fuzzy Future
By MATT RICHTEL and BRAD STONE

The biggest news at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last January was not the birth of a new product but the death of one.

A decision by Warner Brothers to withdraw support for the HD DVD video disc format sent shock waves through the electronics industry and appeared to hand the future of home entertainment to Blu-ray, a rival format.

The move set the stage for this year’s Consumer Electronics Show, which starts Wednesday under the dark cloud of a recession and a sharp downturn in consumer spending. Nearly two million square feet of convention hall will be stocked with the latest mobile phones, portable music players, digital cameras and expensive flat-screen televisions.

But many eyes will be on Blu-ray, which for the first time has the floor largely to itself as the heir apparent to the DVD. Over the last decade, DVD players and discs have generated tens of billions of dollars for Hollywood and the consumer electronics industry, so the pressure for a blockbuster sequel is high.

This year will be crucial for the new format. Heavy holiday discounting and the natural decline in electronics prices over time have pushed prices for some Blu-ray players under $200, a drop of well more than half in the last few years — and into the realm of affordability for many. At the same time, Blu-ray’s backers, including Sony and the Walt Disney Company, face a growing chorus of skeptics that says the window for a high-definition disc format may be closing fast.

One reason is that discs of all kinds may become obsolete as a new wave of digital media services starts to flow into the living room. On Monday, for example, the Korean television maker LG Electronics plans to announce a new line of high-definition televisions that connect directly to the Internet with no set-top box required. The televisions will be able to play movies and television shows from online video-on-demand services, including Netflix.

“The Blu-ray format is in jeopardy simply because the advent of downloadable HD movies is so close,” said Roger L. Kay, president of Endpoint Technologies Associates. a research and consulting company. “Streaming video from the Internet and other means of direct digital delivery are going to put optical formats out of business entirely over the next few years.”

Blu-ray’s supporters have another view. They say the technology had a breakout year, crowned by the holiday success of “The Dark Knight,” which sold 600,000 Blu-ray copies in one day. They also say that Blu-ray players are selling faster than DVD players did at a comparable time in their emergence.

“What we saw in 2008 was increasing adoption of Blu-ray along with decreasing hardware prices,” said Reed Hastings, the chief executive of Netflix, which has persuaded more than half a million members to pay an extra dollar a month to rent Blu-ray discs. “The window of opportunity for DVD and Blu-ray discs is longer than most people think. But it’s not going to last forever.”

The Consumer Electronics Association predicts that North American consumers will spend $1.3 billion on Blu-ray players in 2009, outpacing the projected $1.2 billion that will be spent on regular DVD players, although Blu-ray players are two to three times more expensive.

Last year “was a launching pad, and 2009 is going to be our growth year,” said Andy Parsons, the chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of the format’s backers. “We think this year we’ll start to see the format really take off into the mass market.”

But evidence exists that many people either do not know enough about Blu-ray to buy or do not think the more expensive players and discs are worth the extra investment.

Going from the whirring VCRs of yore to a DVD player was a big leap in picture quality and convenience, while the jump from DVD to Blu-ray is subtler, at least for those who do not have the latest and largest high-definition televisions.

Americans are still expected to buy more standard DVD players next year than Blu-ray players, according to the Consumer Electronics Association. People like Erik Swenson, a 37-year-old interior designer in San Francisco, represent one reason. “I’ve heard of Blu-ray, but I don’t know much about it,” he said, shopping last week at a Best Buy for a DVD player. “I’m a little behind with this tech stuff.”

Blu-ray’s backers acknowledge that they have a tougher sell with Blu-ray than they did with DVD, particularly in light of the sour economy.

“Satisfaction with DVD is very high, and sales figures for the DVD, though the market is contracting, are very strong,” said Chris Fawcett, vice president for the home audio and video division of Sony Electronics, which has lowered growth projections for Blu-ray to account for the downturn in consumer spending.

But Mr. Fawcett also said that technology companies, electronics makers, movie studios and retailers have made a significant investment in developing and promoting the format and are largely united in their determination to see it succeed.

That commitment has been on display recently. In November, a group of studios and electronics manufacturers began a $25 million barrage of television commercials, using the theme “Tru Blu” and promoting Blu-ray as “the best way to watch movies at home. Ever.”

On Black Friday, the crucial shopping day after Thanksgiving, electronics manufacturers coordinated with retailers to heavily discount Blu-ray players. As a result, sales surged.

The continued push for Blu-ray will be a central theme at the Consumer Electronics Show, as manufacturers introduce new players and continue to cut prices on older models. Analysts say they expect companies to announce more support for a feature called BD Live (as in Blu-ray disc live), which lets people download additional material from the Internet and interact with friends in text chats that appear on the television while playing a movie.

Consumers must buy adapters to bring most Blu-ray players online, though devices to be unveiled at the show may have Internet access built in.

Integrating the Internet may be a matter of survival for Blu-ray, because the Internet is shaping up to be its biggest rival. More services are popping up that let people download high-definition movies and shows directly to their televisions and home computers.

There are 1,092 discs available in Blu-ray format, mostly new movies like “The Dark Knight” and “Wall-E.” Apple’s iTunes Store introduced high-definition movies a year ago and already has 600 titles available to rent or download. A similar Internet-connected box, Vudu, can access about 1,400 high-definition films.

“When Vudu popped up and had more high-definition movies than Blu-ray, it was a warning sign,” said Rob Enderle, president of the Enderle Group, which advises technology companies like Microsoft and Toshiba. “I think Blu-ray can sustain itself as a transition technology, but, at the end of the day, I don’t think it will ever replace the DVD.”

Still, for some consumers, nothing beats the crisp, clear picture of a Blu-ray disc. “It’s a huge difference,” said Gary Tsang, 31, a computer network engineer in San Francisco who bought a $299 Blu-ray player in October and was among the shoppers who rushed out to buy “The Dark Knight” last month.

Mr. Tsang added that Blu-ray made a real difference only when viewed on a good high-definition television, like the one his family bought in February for $2,700. “We’re not bleeding edge, but we’re cutting edge.”

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »
my ps3 throws a much better HD signal than comcastHD.  Not to mention Comcast has terrible audio.  Rarely are the on-dmeand movies even in 5.1 dolby/dts, let alone the lossless surround the blueray disc offers.  The capacity of the blueray is rumored to increase significantly, even for current players.  The format is the first high capacity, solid-state, removalbe, portable and affordable storage media solution.    The dream of having the entire GD or PH catalog on one disc?   Perhaps memory cards or discs, but not streaming media from cable/fiber companies....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
while jlykos's post isnt far off, i'd say at least 10-15 yrs is more realistic.
having recently purchased a bluray player that interfacing with netflix directly, i can still safely say i'd prefer the actual disc.
no load-time/buffering - full interactions with the special features, and movie selections are better than what is being currently offered (bound to change eventually)

but the player was only $300, so i have both options.  unfortunately i still have a panasonic dvd player for my dvd-a's, but it's a small deal.

Offline moellenium

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
I just ordered one of these this week for $499:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

I should have it in the next couple of weeks. I'll post a review after putting it through it's paces. 

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
BlueRay is far from defunct.

Agree.  If you're into home theater (as in a front projector beaming a 100"+ image) then there's no way you would accept the craptastic quality of streaming HD.  With the sad, slow to upgrade broadband situation in this country, there's no way 1080p video with lossless audio will stream in any sort of quality that can rival blu-ray.  At least 5 years, maybe up to 10 before that kind of scenario becomes likely.  Yes, there will always be those who swear by their Apple TV and regard mp3 as a standard for audio quality, but blu-ray will continue to be there for the home theater aficionados (like Laser Disc hung around forever).

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »
Ah a topic i'm really interested in.   I am a big believer in the death of the disc.  I do believe that sooner than later we will all be downloading and streaming instead of buying a physical piece of media.

When you can buy a computer that will act as a DVR, Music library manager, Video/DVD library manager,  media streamer and backup server for $500 or less then I think its a sign that the disc is on the way out. 

If instead of having to mess with discs I can have a computer with say a 1.5TB drive ($129 newegg.com) then imagine how many Blu-Ray discs will fit on that.   Remember that very few if any Blu-Ray discs take up even half the capacity of the format.   So say 25GB per disc then you'll get 50-60 movies right there.   A year ago 1.5TB drives were $250.  Now they are half that.  Imagine what they'll be a year from now.    Can't get any more in-demand than than.

As an example I watch several tv shows that either are not shown in HD in my area or are from outside the United States.   So I download them from torrent sites in either 720 or 1080 depending on which resolution they are broadcast in.  On my standard cable internet connection at home (Road Runner) I can usually get an hour long show in less than 20 minutes as well as have additional programs queued up as well.   

So I can have a whole night's worth of programming downloaded while i'm asleep and pick and choose in the morning.  I have my torrent program set to download the shows I watch automatically for me.  Check out the Ted http://www.ted.nu/ tv show downloader.    So again why mess with a disc. 

If say Warner Brothers offered you an opportunity to buy the blu-ray for $20 or the ability to download the same movie without all the physical costs for say $9.99 are you still going to want the disc?  If so why?   Peace of mind?  For the cost of the 1.5TB drive I listed above you spend $2 per movie for the hard drive.  Seems alot cheaper than the $10 markup for having the disc with packing, shipping and whatnot.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »

I should have it in the next couple of weeks. I'll post a review after putting it through it's paces. 

yeah, i was going to post this.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline imgoinmad

• Taperssection Regular
    • Production House Media
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »
I've been leaning towards that Oppo player. I've seen great reviews of it from people who are using it. Most 'broadcast' HDTV is 1080i, I have Dish Network which offers 1080i for all HD but also offers 'video on demand' movies which are 1080p...these movies must be downloaded to the hard drive in the DVR box. I don't think downloads will replace the disc for some time and to be honest, I'm not willing to wait. 

Back in the day when everyone was doing VHS, I spent the money for S-VHS and was very happy I did...when everyone was doing 8mm camcorders I spent extra for HI-8. I was an early adopter of HD, my first HD tv was expensive but I've been enjoying great picture for years. Blue-Ray is an obvious choice and it's now affordable.
Field:
Schoeps CMXY4V>Oade Basic Mod Marantz PMD-671
CSB>Sony PCM-M1

Multitrack:
Digidesign 002R/Behringer ADA-8000/5 x Mackie HR-824's/1 x Mackie HRS120/Blue Sky BMC/Mackie Universal Control Surface
Dual ASUS 24in/Mac Pro 2x2.66ghz 6C Xeon/Mac OS 10.6.8/Pro-Tools 10+CPTK/Fostex D-5

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3043964/
http://www.productionhousemedia.com

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »

yeah, i was going to post this.

also if you notice the blueray live - an ethernet port is included so you can subscribe to netlix and get at least 720.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »
See thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,124867.0.html

I am playing all of my high-res by hard drive since I read the article.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »

^^
Any of you folks have one of these OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray players?  Just window shopping now and I'd love to hear about your experience with this unit if you own one.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 12:47:30 AM »
not personally, but the reviews are very complimentary.  i want one.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com