Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me help myself!  (Read 8305 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help me help myself!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it.  About the closest we've come to a taping scene was when we played at last summer's moedown. 

Very cool!  Have you guys thought about joining the Live Music Archive (archive.org)?  That would be even better.  ;D

Offline im hungover

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
BTW, our taping policy has always been wide open , although I don't know how often anyone's taken us up on it.  About the closest we've come to a taping scene was when we played at last summer's moedown. 

Very cool!  Have you guys thought about joining the Live Music Archive (archive.org)?  That would be even better.  ;D
and there are quite a few bands these days offer up a guest list spot for a taper or two ;D
Mics: Oktava MK-012, ADK S51, AT853 (cards)

Decks: Fostex FR2-LE & Tascam DR40

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »
and there are quite a few bands these days offer up a guest list spot for a taper or two ;D

guestlist +1

:P ;D :laugh:

Offline Finnbot3000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Yessir!
    • watch me twitter!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »
well of course there would have to be a +1.  Otherwise who would hold the beers while the mics were being placed.

There is a crapload of valuable advice here, except from the guy with the Portland Trailblazers logo in his signature.  I hate that guy.

to recap:

we need a recorder with built in mics, AND inputs (preferably xlr).  My singer has a possible line on a Zoom H4, but I'm not loving what I'm reading about that model here or elsewhere.  So the dilemma is find the cheapest good recorder (400?) so I can spend 400 bucks on mics. I mean 300 bucks. 

what I don't know about taping would make a much longer book than what I do know about drumming, which is a lot.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
WTF?  Do I know you?

EDIT: Upon further research on wiki and google I have never met you, don't know you, never have seen a Presidents show or any band you've played in or own any releases you are on.  But yet you hate me?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:53:41 AM by Mark Burgin »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 02:25:04 AM »
FR2-LE:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118213.0.html

AKG 460's:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118388.0.html

Total:  somewhere around $850-ish.  Add cables, stand, accessories and you should still come in well under budget.

I am stunned, Dirk recommending AKG's?  The world MUST be comming to an end  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:12 AM »
WTF?  Do I know you?

EDIT: Upon further research on wiki and google I have never met you, don't know you, never have seen a Presidents show or any band you've played in or own any releases you are on.  But yet you hate me?
Well fuck right off asshole.

Maybe he just meant that he doesn't like the Trailblazers?
 ???

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 03:28:28 AM »
Maybe... and if he did I recant my rant but I am just at a loss.  Never had anyone say they hate me.  Ever.  Especially a musician.  I edited the end of it until clarity is made.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:54:08 AM by Mark Burgin »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 06:56:05 AM »
what he said....
(Richards post above).

Def. the way to go.

If you must stick w/two channels for budget, you can still do some AUD/SBD with an edirol UA5.  tons of them in the yard sale.  nice sounding little box.  it acts as a mixer too, so you can pump RCA inputs in as well as XLRs, though you can't mix the delay needed, nor can you separate the channels.

as for mics...
if you want really cheap and wicked quality for the investment, the AT 853u is pretty awesome.  sound pro's has them on sale for $150 a pair.
An edirol R9 behind these, good to go.  $500 total.

Or...
Studio Projects LSD2 stereo microphone.  Its big, ugly...., could be a weapon of mass destruction, but it sounds freakin' great, is quick and easy to setup and would allow you to record in M-S mode for later mix down, eliminating that "get it right on the fly" syndrome.
You could probably find a used one in the $500 range.  new they are $700.

go TrailBlazers !
;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:58:57 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »
FR2-LE:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118213.0.html

AKG 460's:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118388.0.html

Total:  somewhere around $850-ish.  Add cables, stand, accessories and you should still come in well under budget.

I am stunned, Dirk recommending AKG's?  The world MUST be comming to an end  ;D

AKGs are fine when you're just starting out and you're on a budget.  Once money isn't the first concern anymore, it's time to look elsewhere though (IMO).

Anyway, to the OP:  a recorder with built in mics will NOT give you the results you're looking for.  Period.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »
Don't concern yourself with recorders with internal mics.  Most of us here are external mic purists as the quality goes up by leaps and bounds.  I own a Sony D50, but almost never use the internal mics.  You'll be recording music, not using it to do your dictation.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Finnbot3000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Yessir!
    • watch me twitter!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
Mark!

That was supposed to be funny. A Trailblazers thing.  I'm from Seattle, and we are still a little tender from loosing our Sonics.  And a central part of Sonic-dom, as you know, is the SEA-PDX enmity, which was drilled into me from birth.  Actually I secretly watch the Trailblazers sometimes when they are on espn to follow Brandon Roy (Husky!), but if my family found out I would be disowned.

Sorry for the misfire!

I don't really hate anybody, except for all three Jonas Brothers.

what I don't know about taping would make a much longer book than what I do know about drumming, which is a lot.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
Anyway, to the OP:  a recorder with built in mics will NOT give you the results you're looking for.  Period.

Agree to a point:  the internal mics will NOT give the results you're looking for.  But technically, the FR2LE and Edirol R44 both have internal mics, they're just useless.  As are the mics built into just about everything except maybe the Sony.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »
I'm sorry too for my misunderstanding!  It's all good Jason.  And yes the Jonas Brothers do suck ass.   ;D

Mark!

That was supposed to be funny. A Trailblazers thing.  I'm from Seattle, and we are still a little tender from loosing our Sonics.  And a central part of Sonic-dom, as you know, is the SEA-PDX enmity, which was drilled into me from birth.  Actually I secretly watch the Trailblazers sometimes when they are on espn to follow Brandon Roy (Husky!), but if my family found out I would be disowned.

Sorry for the misfire!

I don't really hate anybody, except for all three Jonas Brothers.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
My recommendation would be the Edirol R-44 and a stereo mic such as the Studio Projects LSD2 or Busman BSCS-M or BSCS-L.  Record 2-ch soundboard and 2-ch stereo mic.

If that's way out of your budget, maybe the Sony PCM-D50?  I've heard a few small club recordings done with the internal mics that sounded decent.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com