Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4022 phantom power question  (Read 8385 times)

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 4022 phantom power question
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »
in my ears transformer pre amps do not sound as good with the dpas. 

psp-3 is not made any more neither is the sonosax but if you want a small portable pre that sounds good with the dpa's thats the route I would go.  It might take some time but sonosax do show up in the yard from time to time.  You just have to be patient.  good luck in your search.

Hey O, want to sell one of your pre's to me? "Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3/"

you would have to pry them out of my cold dead hands  ;)
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
I've been happy with my 4021>SD MP-2, but really haven't used another pre with them.

My .02

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
I've been happy with my 4021>SD MP-2, but really haven't used another pre with them.

My .02

Pat

Am I correct, from reading this post, that basically all of the small portable pres (SD-MP2, Sax, Aeta PSP-3) are discontinued?  Is there anything out there that's still in current production?

I guess with the various mods that can be done to the Marantz PMD-6xx and Edirol R-4x lines, maybe people don't feel the need to use a small outboard pre anymore...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »

Am I correct, from reading this post, that basically all of the small portable pres (SD-MP2, Sax, Aeta PSP-3) are discontinued?  Is there anything out there that's still in current production?

The Sound Devices MP2 was discontinued and replaced by the SD Mixpre, which is very, very similar and is still in production and available via retail.

The Aerco MP2 and new Naiant littlebox are still in production.  Both preamps are made by one man shops and can have a little to a lot of leadtime to get one.  The Aerco MP2 I guess can take several months to get built, but Jerry is still taking orders.  Jon at Naiant is still building the littlebox, but had to put aside current production runs while he works on other things.  He should be back building them in a few weeks in mid-October.

And depending on what you call small and portable, there is still the Grace Lunatec V3 and the Neve Portico.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »
The PS-2 powered my Neumann KM184s for a good 4hrs when I had them, and they powered my Schoeps MK4/CMC6 mics for 4hrs or more (never fully battery tested them), so I would say they are generally a good power supply for many mics.  The Audix 1280/1290 are the ones I remember reading about that are insufficiently powered by a PS-2 with a 9V battery. 

I think the earthworks line can burn through a 9v in an hr or less, but they also draw the full 10ma allowed by the P48 spec. Someone else would have to chime in, I'm working off of memory here.

i tried running EW off a ps-2 and was lucky to get an hour.  not a good idea

Nobody has mentioned the Sound Devices MP-2...? 

I made tons of tapes with dpa 4022 > mp2 and loved them.  I still have the MP2 and might dust it off in place of the v3 sometime soon

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »

The Sound Devices MP2 was discontinued and replaced by the SD Mixpre, which is very, very similar and is still in production and available via retail.

The Aerco MP2 and new Naiant littlebox are still in production.  Both preamps are made by one man shops and can have a little to a lot of leadtime to get one.  The Aerco MP2 I guess can take several months to get built, but Jerry is still taking orders.  Jon at Naiant is still building the littlebox, but had to put aside current production runs while he works on other things.  He should be back building them in a few weeks in mid-October.

And depending on what you call small and portable, there is still the Grace Lunatec V3 and the Neve Portico.

Thanks Todd for the useful info and everyone else's input. Appreciate it. By the TS members responses on this post, it seems I was not the only one trying to find this type of info. 

Anyone know where I can get "detachable clips" for the DPA 4022"?

Still leaning toward the Naiant littlebox when they become available and mulling over some of the other options you guys have suggested. The SD Mixpre looks like an interesting choice...

Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com