Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping for idiots. meaning me.  (Read 9187 times)

Offline axlrose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a newbie who knows nothing!
Re:taping for idiots. meaning me.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 06:22:50 PM »
i thought it was the correct term. i got annoyed at the term being used to describe those people who mix two tracks together, like the christina aguleria/the strokes track.

anyway, i apologise. back to helping this poor clueless creature find a recording device suitable.

gru??

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 06:25:05 PM »
can i not just go into an electrical shop with a list of things and just tell the guy to get me the things on the list? hahaha, seriously i have no idea at all how the system of bootlegging begins.

Bootleggers!?!  Why not just kick us in the balls...  I tape and trade for my own pleasure, NOT for PROFIT.  

Bootleggers are those that take intellectual information and then sell it as their own - it is sorta like "audio plagarism".

The music is the intellectual property of the artists.  To sell a recording you made of theirs and distribute against their policies and rules is bootlegging.

To listen and enjoy and freely spread to increase the fan base and artist appreciation is NOT bootlegging - its taping and trading.

You will notice that there is a good group of folks here that constantly patrol EBAY for bootleggers (they turn them in for their ILLEGAL activity).

If you want a one stop shop try SonicSense.com.  They be happy to sell you everything you need to start - literally EVERYTHING.

Terry

PS  Do yourself a favor and do some reading.  You will learn more fomr reading the posts here than from any one person telling you to go to this website and buy this piece.  You'll be better off for it, less likely to buy something you don't want or need, more likely to save money, less likely to get ripped off, more likely to get started quicker.
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline axlrose

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 06:28:42 PM »
i havent yet... and im slightly afraid too ;D
gru??

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 06:30:05 PM »
+T, Axel...
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 06:32:03 PM »
Check this out:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=12040

You can buy all this and all you need is a recorder...

Terry

Offline axlrose

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 06:43:06 PM »
ok... sorry to be a pest again (but hey, im axl rose and thats what i live for), but i have no idea of what that all means. iis that a good deal? and what exactly do i need if i do buy all that stuff? just a DAT recorder?
gru??

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 06:57:41 PM »
sounds like you have to do a lot of reading.......once you know what products it takes to connect your mics to a mic pre-amp to an analog-to-digital converter to your recording device you can find out everything you need to know about said products.  every rig goes somehing like this

MICS~>mic cables~>PRE-AMP~>line cables~>ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL CONVERTER~>digital cable(coax or optical)~>recorder

although some people have devices that have a pre-amp and A/D converter all in one box so there chain looks like this ususally:

MICS~>mic cables~>Pre-amp/AD Converter~>digital cable(coax or optical)~>recorder

hope that helps clear some things up.......i hope. can't really explain it more simply than that. do the research, learn about the stuff, and good times recording will be in your future ;D

Welcome to the crazy world of taping!

Brian

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 07:00:27 PM »
AT ES943_Cs - http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-CMC-8&type=store  $259 New

Battery Box w/ Bass Roll-Off and Stereo Level Control - http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-SPSB-7&type=store  $119 New

>>>These are stealth style mics (small, easy to hide), but will work for any application.  If you go to the link provided,, you an read all the details on the mics.  

The Battery Box blah blah blah is a little device that will power the mics (like phantom power).  Because of the type of mics, you don't need a pre-amp (I think), so you can plug the mics into the battery box into a recording device (like a DAT).<<<

TBar 24" - http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-GNA-3&type=store $50 New

>>>This is a T-Bar.  It is a device used to hold the mics in position.  Obviously you want your hands free at shows (beer to hold, boobs to fondle, etc...)<<<

AT8415 Shockmount - http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=AT8415&type=store  $50 New

>>>Shockmount - does what the name says.  Mounts the mics for you, absorbs any shock from messing with the mic...

Custom Work to use tbar w/ shockmount:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=4386;start=msg41783#msg41783

>>>I have no idea what this is, but I guess you'll need it to use the shockmount on the t-bar.  Probably some kind of mounting thing to mount one to the other...<<<

You ask if this is all worth it, it depends on what you want to tape, what kind of quality you want, etc.  Depending on these factors, this rig may or may not be the right rig for you.

I would ask the person selling them questions such as:  what shows have you taped with this rig and how did they come out.  Ask him if he'll send you a copy or sample of the recording he made with the stuff.  Ask him why he is selling it (it may the same exact reason you don't buy it).

I cannot stress this enough,  RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.  No matter how much we help you here, it all comes down to YOU.  If you do no research and go on what we tell you, you WILL be disappointed.  If you take all we tell you and add it to you're own learning, you'll be much happier and better for it...  And your tapes will sound awesome (the ultimate goal right???)

Learning about this stuff is part of the fun.  If all you want to do is record for instant pleasure, skip all this crap and go buy a minidisc and a Sony ECM mic.  There are boatloads on EBAY - they are pratically giving them away...

Terry

Offline axlrose

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 07:02:55 PM »
you all gotta understand that i am possibly the laziest person in the world. when you all say "research", i mean seriously, the only thing i fear more than independant labour is being anally raped. im sorry for being so crass, but im a lazy bastard.
gru??

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 07:25:24 PM »
Then in all honesty, taping might not be for you - I'd classify taping as independent labor. No talking, no singing, not much dancing or socializing in general. Gotta get there early, leave late, carry all your shit around, etc. If you're recording bands that aren't taper-friendly, then no MOVING. It's no picnic...but to those of us that do it, the rewards are more than worth it.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline axlrose

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 07:31:31 PM »
hahaha

ok. time to do some reading then!
gru??

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 08:43:18 PM »
yeah do your research.  the more you know the better off you are.  you don't wanna realize 3-4 months into your taping life that you want better mics that you could have bought the first time around.

contrary to what other have been saying for the stealth setup all you really need (bare minimum here) is  

stealth mics>battery box>recorder

if you can afford more buy more.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 09:32:29 PM »
spend a month lurking here and you'll know everything you need to start, and then some. laziness is for malcontents and time-wasters. and there's NO such thing as a lazy stealther.
armen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2004, 04:47:44 AM »
Drunken/Drugged blur and taping usually don't mix.  Sad as it may sound you usually* have to be at least somewhat sober to get a decent recording of a show.

:P

you should come and tape with me sometime...

just an update...

I got butthouse wasted tonight... full tape, no sweat... it can be done  8)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2004, 07:12:03 AM »
tim just likes to see how wasted he can get and stilll pull a tape, but he's been doing this for years so don't listen to him ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com