Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rec for cass decks  (Read 3835 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Rec for cass decks
« on: January 11, 2004, 10:43:17 PM »
Just picked up 200 analog tapes from Bri.  Now i need a nice deck to use to transfer.  I have a deck but dont wanna use it for transfers.  looking in the high school student budget.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Rec for cass decks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 11:11:57 PM »
Just picked up 200 analog tapes from Bri.  Now i need a nice deck to use to transfer.  I have a deck but dont wanna use it for transfers.  looking in the high school student budget.

i use a Nakamichi deck. the model choices are endless, mostly dictated by how much you're willing to spend.  

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 11:15:14 PM »
also the old denons are great

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 12:36:46 PM »
I have a Sony ES and it is a tank.  Highly recommended!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 12:54:57 PM »
is that a 3 head sony Jamie?

I had one of those back in the day, really nice...

Al - you should be able to find some decent decks for a good price, just sniff around...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 02:27:35 PM »
is that a 3 head sony Jamie?

I had one of those back in the day, really nice...

Al - you should be able to find some decent decks for a good price, just sniff around...

Yes, it is the KA2ES.  Three heads and an absolute tank.  One of the best equipment purchases I ever made.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

zowie

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 10:00:48 PM »
I have an LX-3 bought for about $60.  It's "head" and shoulders above the late 80s Denon I owned previously -- smoother highs, much more low level detail, better pitch stability.  I've even started listening to my old cassettes again for enjoyment, although I only bought it to do some transfers.

Offline coop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • been there, taped it.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 10:49:04 PM »
    i have a nakamici MR-2 that i posted in the yard sale a while back - no takers. it works fine, and has been sitting in it's box for about 7 months. it is all yours for 75.00
    let me know via PM. take care
  coop
bicycle more, drive less, breathe easier.
http://www.gimmecoffee.com

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 11:16:21 PM »
i've transferred many masters and low gen tapes for friends.  

IMHO, the single most important feature one needs to pull the best signal from a tape is the Head Azimuth alignment.

deck makers such as Nakamichi and Tascam made them in the past.  i can tell you from recent experience that getting the correct alignment of the playback head is essential in bring out the full potential in a recording.

i use a Nak CR-7A for all my tape transfers, and the unit has served me well for close to 15years.

marc

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 07:54:08 PM »
Will a cassette deck such as those mentioned above make a noticeable difference in a transfer to a pc?  i transferred quite a few cassettes this past year and i got decidedly mixed results(using the cassette deck from my old aiwa all in one college stereo).  if spending 75 on a cassette deck will really help then that is great.  any other tips and suggestions?  
i tried putting my ad-20 in the mix and that didn't help much.  other than that i couldn't think of much to try.

absolutely!!  your playback cassette deck is the most important equipment in your transfer, IMO.  

here's an offer for ya:  send me 1 cassette that you want transferred.  i'll put it to a DAT and send them back to you.  you make your own Cassette > DAT transfer and make a comparison.  

if you don't hear a significant difference, then i'll happily offer you my apologies for wasting your time and TS's bandwidth.  

i think you'll be quite surprised :)

marc

zowie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 08:36:17 PM »
Agreed.

Of course, if the tape is horrendous the deck matters much less.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 10:32:25 PM »
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=5342

SBD+Aud Matrix->Cassette + 12 years->Nakamichi RX-505->Sony DTC-A6

transfer came out quite nice!!
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

zowie

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 12:33:36 PM »
Only if your DAT has better converters than your sound card.  If you have a good card (USB, or whatever), then no.

I transfer tapes (and most other sources) with a CDR-W33, Sony's pro CD recorder that has SBM and also a limiter and eq.  Good sound, and big advantage convenience-wize since it's in my stereo rack with the cassette deck.  I can then pop the discs in the computer and do whatever else I might want with them (e.g., noise reduction).  But I might stop this method since recently upgrading to 24/96 capability on my computer.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 01:05:39 PM »
I kept my old Sony D-6 (a portable Dolby C cassette deck). I also have a Nak BX-2 home cassette deck. When I want to transfer one of my masters I use the D-6 and do the A/D with the AD-1000.
Point being:
I use the exact same deck I recorded with to do the transfer. This is the ideal situation. For tapes I did not record myself I use the BX-2.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com