Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Brian, did you get any word on the lemosax?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Brian, did you get any word on the lemosax?
« on: January 12, 2004, 01:22:48 PM »
SSIA, the idea of MK5s->Lemosax->modSBM-1 intrigues me =)
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Brian, did you get any word on the lemosax?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 11:42:44 AM »
For those who don't know, the Lemosax allows mic capsules to be run directly to the SX-M2 without the need for mic bodies.  I know the Lemosax is available for Schoeps MKx caps.  This model is also available for other mics, like the Neumann AKxx.  Not sure about AKG, but...maybe?

The only retailer I could track down who had even a clue about the Lemosax was Jerry Bruck at Posthorn.  The Sonosax model designation for the Lemosax is:  SX-M2/LS2.  This isn't so much a modification as kind of a sub-product of the standard SX-M2.  For MKxx capsules, it requires the following Schoeps cable: KCY250/Xlg, where X is the cable length in meters.

This combo is NOT cheap new.  The SX-M2/LS2 runs right around a grand, and the KCY250/Xlg cables are around $500 (Schoeps cable prices kill me).  My guess is the Neumann and other manufacturer's cables (if available) are less expensive, but I don't know offhand.

Be prepared to pay full price on the preamp because [1] not a lot of discounting going on as it's a fairly rare unit, [2] you'll have a tough time finding them used as they tend to be handed around person-to-person as people finish with them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 11:14:26 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 12:11:45 PM »
the lemo sax is available for neumanns.... I have a few Phish tapes done with it
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 12:18:05 PM »
When I contaced Sonosax, they said they would do the *modification* for $350 if you already had a unit. They also told me that they had some in stock too. This was only a couple of months ago... Brain, did hear diferently?

If you already had Schoeps Caps and a SX-M2.... it wouldn't be so bad.... if Sonosax will even do the *modification*
Retired Taper

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 12:24:40 PM »
When I contaced Sonosax, they said they would do the *modification* for $350 if you already had a unit. They also told me that they had some in stock too. This was only a couple of months ago... Brain, did hear diferently?

I initially contacted Sonosax directly and had a helluva time getting answers out of them.  After getting fed up with non- and mis-communication working directly with Sax, I spoke with Jerry at Posthorn who answered *all* my questions.

Interesting about the $350 for modding existing units.  The information I received direct from Sax was internally conflicting as to whether or not this was even doable.  At any rate, a used Sax at around $600 + the mod is pretty damn close to what a new Lemosax would cost, anyway.  It's the damn cables that are the killer!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 12:30:46 PM »
It took them a couple of days for them to repsond to me, but the guy I talked to always asnwered my questions... Hmmm I wish I had his e-mail still....

The cables are why I gave up on this idea :)
Retired Taper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com