Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BATTERY FOR R4 Pro.... Where can I get one? And What do I get?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline silent-sam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hey I have an r4 pro that I have been using more and more and it is starting to get to the point where I am using $30 worth of AA batteries every day I use the thing...... I want to know a good solution for a rechargeable battery through the 4 XLR pin connector.... or if there is any other solution...?

This is one option I was looking at but it's been a pain in the ass for me to try and get a couple of these batteries.... https://www.vistek.ca/prodimg/221434.jpg

What do you other people use? and where did you get what you use? I am from canada so an online store or a actual store in canada would be a bonus..... But i would like to hear some other options either way.

Thanks

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: BATTERY FOR R4 Pro.... Where can I get one? And What do I get?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:32:14 AM »
B&H I believe carry a Bestcor NiMH camera battery system with the standared 4-pin XLR connector fitting the R4 Pro. 

However, most rechargeables have < 6-7 hour running time before needing >6 hour recharging time that may catch you short of power on busy days.

As an alternative system used by professionals working remote locations my company has external "alkaline 8-D cell" 190+ watt battery system weighing only 3 lbs. allowing 20-30 hours running time (depending on deck features being powered) that "recharge in seconds with fresh cells if needed.

Visit this page for details http://www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#r4pro

(image shows R4 dummy battery version; R4 PRO looks identical but has XLR output plug)

This pack may be carried in padded medium size 35mm camera telephoto lens case fitting belt or having sholder strap
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline silent-sam

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »
ahhhh thats cool..... super confusing website ... I donno if i am smart enough to follow that hahahaha...... How about your set up?  Tell me more about that...

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
The sonic studios option is VERY expensive. There are cheaper options out there that would work great. Look at rechargable AA batteries (thomasdistributing.com), with a quality (maha, Lacrosse) charger will work great. If you want to go external, a Li-ion DVD type battery will work great. You will probably spend about 1/4 as much, if not less. Good luck.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

easy jim

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:18:25 PM »
I've been using a battery geek 9-12v 8000mah L-ion with a cable made by deadheaded from Kind Kables.  It runs the R-4 Pro w/ 4 chans of phantom on for ~ 7-8 hours or more.  Definitely enough for all day at a festival.

From what I recall, the pin assignments for the 4pin XLR connector are non-standard (like many Edirol units)...so you'll want to keep that in mind when getting a power cable to use.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117631.0.html

I ran my R4 Pro with the exact battery in the link above.   Many discussions of the combo in the older R4/R4Pro threads.  5-6 hours per battery with phantom on all four channels.   Have one of our cable makers whip you up a power cable or even a dual power cable so you can hot swap batteries and you all set for under $50 probably.   

Why even continue to use any type of alkaline battery.  Ugggh.   

You'll read hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews of the above link batteries as well as many where people are using them with the R4 Pro specifically.  Don't waste you time with anything else.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
I would save $200 over guysonics solution by getting:

9V 5400 mah LION Battery for less than $20 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Initial-Universal-Portable-DVD-battery-Brand-New-Inpack_W0QQitemZ250413276938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4dcb5f0a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Homemade Power Cable (from Radio Shack parts)
1.  Adaptaplug Female  to Female cable  Model: 273-1740  |  Catalog #: 273-1740
2.  B Tip for Battery End  positive symbol on tip alligned w/ blank side of cable end   Model: Adaptaplug B  |  Catalog #: 273-1705
3.  M tip for R4 End   negative symbol on tip aligned with "tip" logo on cable end.  Model: Adaptaplug M  |  Catalog #: 273-1716
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

easy jim

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:47 PM »
^ bhadella suggestion is definitely the most inexpensive option.  I went that route for a little while, before deciding to get something with a little more juice.

Offline silent-sam

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »
How do you work these DVD batteries with the R4?.... do they just plug right in or do i need some kind of cable made??

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117631.0.html

I think this is the way i want to go ...... I just don't really want to build a special cable or anything like that...

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
^ bhadella suggestion is definitely the most inexpensive option.

Sorry guys wrong suggestion.  The R4 Pro has a 4 pin XLR power connector not the 'M' tip for the adaptaplug like the regular R4 does.

Buy the battery for $12 and then hit up one of our cable makers like Ed (kindkables.com) and get a proper cable.  Ed does good work for a reasonable price. 

Offline silent-sam

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:33:16 AM »
r4 pro does have a 4 pin XLR connector..... However one end is a 4 pin XLR and the other end is a regular M female power jack...... not sure if you can just plug any old M power jack that fits into it or if its special. I guess id have to try it out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:30:59 PM by silent-sam »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com