Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tape audio from mixer with firewire  (Read 1709 times)

Offline asmusu2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Steen's profile
    • Asmus U2
Tape audio from mixer with firewire
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:57:43 AM »
Hi,

on one of the venues I visit it is possible to tape the concert throug a firewire cable.

I can not find any multi-track recording programs, where I can tape from a mixer.

I hope someone can help me find a program.

I prefer free or cheap, as it is just for personal hobby use.

I prefer Osx, but I also have a Windows labtop, so it is not a big deal.

Best wishes

Steen

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tape audio from mixer with firewire
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
Have you tried QuickTime Pro?  If CoreAudio can see the firewire connection as a device to record from, QT will do it fine.  $30 well spent.

keytohwy

Offline asmusu2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Steen's profile
    • Asmus U2
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
thanks.

Do you know if it is a multi-track recording I get, or a normal stereo, lige if I tape it with an xlr cabel to the matrix chanel ?

Best wishes

Steen

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
does the mixer at the club have a firewire connection on it or are you trying to go XLR out of the mixer > Firewire tot he PC?

if the mixer actually has firewire on it like some digidesign units have (along with some others) then you should be able to see the mixer via the firewire connection. The mixer should show up as a separate sound card since it will be an all digital device. You may however need the appropriate driver for the mixer to show up on your computer though. A quick search of the device in question on the net should provide results for the appropriate driver. You will have to be careful though when running this setup as changes you make on your computer may make real world changes to the mixer itself if it is controllable over firewire. Pretty much any multitrack recording program like Cubase, Protools, Logic, Samplitude...... ect should be able to handle this task. As far as Quicktime mentioned above I am not sure how that will work out, I have not messed with the record function of that much. I DO know that it will record video via firewire connection from a DV cam though.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »
thanks.

Do you know if it is a multi-track recording I get, or a normal stereo, lige if I tape it with an xlr cabel to the matrix chanel ?

Best wishes

Steen

Not sure what you mean there, but QT will record multi-track if CoreAudio sees it that way.  Just plug in the FW cable and fire up the Audio MIDI Setup app in the utilities folder.  If it sees it, you are in luck.

keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com