Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo mic with low noise ... - anyone tried Talinga?  (Read 12927 times)

Offline perik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Stereo mic with low noise ... - anyone tried Talinga?
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:56:02 PM »
Hi!

Im about upgrading my stereomic as well since it´s seems to be the cause of my noise problems. at the moment Im using audio technica AT825. Im using the audio technica mainly for recording for sounddesign and field recording.

It has the following specs:
Signal-to-noise ratio: 70 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
Open circuit sensitivity: -47 db (4.4 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
One of the reason I bought the AT825 is the possibility for use it with battery since some of my fieldrecording-gear havnt got any phantompower-supply.

I also like that its a stereo mic since I dont have so much gear to carry around.

My criterias for a new mic is:
    * Stereo
    * low-noise
    * high sensitivity (have just got +45dB in gain of my preamp for fieldrecording so good if it´s have high sensitivity)
    * pricerange maximum 550 dollars (rather less)

I have now fixed with phantompower so no need for batterypowered mic anymore. any more suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Per
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:34:17 PM by perik »

Offline perik

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Stereo mic with low noise ...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
actually i was thinking of that one trying to compare.
how do these compare according to my criterias?
RÖDE nt-4:
· Sensitivity -38 dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (12 mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
· Output impedance 200Ω per side
· Signal noise ratio 78 dB SPL (A - weighted per IEC651)
· Equivalent noise <16 dB SPL (A - weighted per IEC651)
· Maximum SPL 143dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
· Maximum output voltage +13.9dBu (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load

AT825
· Open Circuit Sensitivity: -47 dB (4.4 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
· Impedance: 200 ohms balanced
· Signal to Noise Ratio: 70 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa

any other suggestions?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:43 PM »
The noise specifications quoted above shouldn't be compared to one another because they're derived very differently. When all you have is an A-weighted RMS equivalent noise measurement, you can generally estimate the audible noise level by adding 9 - 12 dB or so. That is, of course, assuming that the noise figure is a real measurement and not just a statement of a general goal--which is really how some manufacturers interpret the role of specifications, especially in the Far East.

When CCIR-weighted quasi-peak equivalent noise specs are available, they mean a heck of a lot more--but those are usually provided only for professional-quality microphones. Marketing folks adore "A"-weighted RMS measurements, which always look as if they're better (e.g. for the Neumann KM 183 it makes the difference between a noise spec of 13 dB versus 24). And a noise specification "at 1 kHz" doesn't mean anything at all; the terms simply don't go together that way.

--I would caution against the Røde NT4 not for reasons of noise but because it has coincident cardioid capsules at an included angle of only 90°, which isn't a generally useful setup for semi-distant stereo music recording. It's fine for stereo spot-miking, or for recording round-table meetings in an office--but for most people's purposes here, the pickup angle is just way, way too wide, and the results would be too much like mono. If they'd angled the capsules farther apart and/or made them not be coincident and/or given them a more sharply directional pattern, that might have been a lot better.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:59:41 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:53:35 AM »
I would avoid the Røde NT4 not for reasons of noise but because it has coincident cardioid capsules at an included angle of only 90°, which is not a generally useful setup for semi-distant stereo music recording.

IIUC, the OP will use it for ambient field recording, so the music part may not be relevant here.

That said, I think it'll be tough to find anything with better specs and still battery powered.
The AT8022 comes to mind, but isn't really any improvement to the ones already mentioned:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5c9c0e5adaceb659/index.html/
POLAR PATTERN    X/Y Stereo
FREQUENCY RESPONSE    20-15,000 Hz
LOW FREQUENCY ROLL-OFF    80 Hz, 12 dB/octave
OPEN CIRCUIT SENSITIVITY    Battery: –38 dB (12.5 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
CHANNEL BALANCE    <2.5 dB
IMPEDANCE    Battery: 300 ohms
MAXIMUM INPUT SOUND LEVEL    Battery: 120 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
DYNAMIC RANGE (typical)    Battery: 101 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO    75 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa

Per (from Sweden?), why don't you take the plunge and get a small external phantom supply to your mics instead?! Take a look at the Naiant Littlebox, best bang for your bucks right now:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,122871.0.html
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:54:12 AM »
what about any of the Sony stereo mics ?
I've never used one, but the 9xx series sound pretty good from what I've heard.

IMO, buck up the $70 and buy a phantom supply like the Rolls or something.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »
IIUC, the OP will use it for ambient field recording, so the music part may not be relevant here.

I use an NT4 for field recording. The results are great, convenience is the biggest factor, low noise is another. It is a bit heavy tho in comparison to the AT825 (indeed most AT mics are nice an light).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LNxAjjKH3M

One reason I don't care much about the NT4's X/Yconfig is that the stereo image of an ambient sound is not easy to subjectively assess after the fact at home, and so the stereo separation of the 90 degree coincident array doesn't worry me much. Occasionally I do use a stereo-enhancer effect to widen the image in post if I want it.

BUT: To the OP, I don't think you have the correct end of the stick here. Your AT will make excellent low-noise recordings, you need a decent preamp and phantom power. Getting a MixPre is likely to give you a much bigger 'wow' factor than changing mics...the NT4 used with internal battery and recorder preamp sucks (just a little) IMO compared to MixPre --> line-in.

digifish
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:11:25 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:41:25 AM »
w/the NT4, you can take the stereo signal in post, encode it to raw M-S and then re-mix it w/the width of your desire and decode back to stereo.
the beauty of XY.
:)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:58 AM »
w/the NT4, you can take the stereo signal in post, encode it to raw M-S and then re-mix it w/the width of your desire and decode back to stereo.
the beauty of XY.
:)

That's what I do if I need a wider image.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
To the OP, I don't think you have the correct end of the stick here. Your AT will make excellent low-noise recordings, you need a decent preamp and phantom power. Getting a MixPre is likely to give you a much bigger 'wow' factor than changing mics...the NT4 used with internal battery and recorder preamp sucks (just a little) IMO compared to MixPre --> line-in.

digifish

Agreed. I couldn't believe how much better my NT4 sounded after I bought a MixPre...  :)
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »
Its like clockwork with inquiries about sound/nature recordings. There are many posts on the NT4 for this purpose and the discontinued at3031/3020 and how they have been replaced by the at4041 & 4042.

If you're serious about sound/nature, join naturerecordists @ yahoogroups. com 

for less serious every day recordings, check out a pair of binaural microphones and a recorder with a good pre-amp.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
not to mention the Rode NT4 can use the Studio Projects C4 hyper capsule for even more of a wider directional pattern......   The companies both trace their origins to the same Chinese manufacture, having identical threads and compatability....  :-)
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
Its like clockwork with inquiries about sound/nature recordings. There are many posts on the NT4 for this purpose and the discontinued at3031/3020 and how they have been replaced by the at4041 & 4042.

If you're serious about sound/nature, join naturerecordists @ yahoogroups. com 

for less serious every day recordings, check out a pair of binaural microphones and a recorder with a good pre-amp.

Yahoo newsgroups make you jump through too many hoops to join :(

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline perik

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »

I have now fixed with phantompower so no need for batterypowered mic anymore. any more suggestions for a good stereomic for max 600 dollars.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »

I have now fixed with phantompower so no need for batterypowered mic anymore. any more suggestions for a good stereomic for max 600 dollars.

...my answer is still a MixPre. :)
- What's this knob do?

Offline perik

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
...my answer is still a MixPre.
well got that as well :) with phantom.

CX231 for my fieldrecordings:
http://www.juicedlink.com/index_files/CX_camcorder_XLR_microphone_adapter_audio_mixers.htm

and 2mp one for studio recordings:
http://www.lineaudio.se/linepre.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com