Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Canon XL-H1A vs. Sony PMW-EX1  (Read 4017 times)

Offline AAR.oner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Canon XL-H1A vs. Sony PMW-EX1
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
looking to make the move to HD, basically narrowed it down to either the XL-H1A or the EX1 [although i'd take suggestions on other models as well--Z7U, etc]...with the exception of my Sony PC1000, i've mainly used Canon's in the past [XL2 & GL2] for traditional film work, documentaries, and concerts

haven't used either cam in the field, but here's my pros/cons list based on specs & reviews...

XL-H1A Pros:
interchangeable lens system
tape-based recording
uncompressed SD/HD-SDI output

XL-H1A Cons:
doesn't shoot in true 24p [its 24F mode is interlaced]
bulkier & a good bit heavier [by ~3.5 lbs]

EX1 Pros:
1/2" CMOS sensors
XDCAM codec [imo better quality than XL-H1's HDV codec]
shoots in true 24p
over/under-cranking feature
uncompressed SD/HD-SDI output

EX1 Cons:
fixed lens [and only 14x zoom at that]
SxS recording media [16GB card = 50min recording @ $500+]

if anyone has & wants to throw in their .02, i'd greatly appreciate it...cheers for the help!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:13:28 AM by AAR.oner »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Canon XL-H1A vs. Sony PMW-EX1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
I would suggest the Sony Z7.Interchangeable lens,exmor chips,tape based and memory recording unit.32gb card holds 140min. of video and you can get the Transcend 32gb 133x card for about 100- 120 dollars.I'm using the FX1000 and it's really good.Plus the lcd has 3 times the resolution of the canon and the ex1,which is critical for proper focus(viewfinder has 3 or 4 times resolution of canons and ex1.)my.02
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:13:56 PM by beatkilla »

Offline VoocMuiHech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:55:55 PM »
Depends on your needs, I think. The EX1 is the far better camera if you will be working in controlled conditions and you wish to go to broadcast. We have four and they provide really great images. It is fussy in a large number of ways. It's tricky to focus and is so adjustable that one can spend most of one's time fooling with the camera rather than making video. The Canon's HDV and smaller sensors is just not as good but if you aren't trying to convince a broadcaster to air your product you may not care. I will say that I think the Canon is at the end of its run. Incidently, there's now adaptors so that you can use class 6 and perhaps class 10 SDHC cards in the EX1.
You might also look at Panasonic's new AG-HMC150 and AVCCAM and AVCCAM and AG-HMC40 AVCCAM as well as JVC's GY-HM700U ProHD or GY-HM100 ProHD There's also the video capable DSLRs and close relatives from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic. By report audio is horrible with all the DSLR's but you might be shooting double system.

Offline AAR.oner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »
cheers for the info ya'll

i'm leaning towards the EX1, as some of our projects will be for broadcast-ready jobs & i'm afraid the quality of HDV will become obsolete in the "pro world" much sooner than XDCAM...the cost prohibitive SxS card is the one thing thats holding me back in all honesty, glad to know about the adapter workarounds for SD/CF cards

for anyone else interested, there are some disadvantages and compatibility issues with the adapter work-around, this site covers it fairly extensively:
http://www.glasseye.com.au/articles/sdassxs/

this shows some nightmare experiences:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1739806

guess its one of those your-mileage-may-vary situations
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:29:54 AM by AAR.oner »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com