Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: upsampling for post-processing??  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
upsampling for post-processing??
« on: January 23, 2004, 05:07:58 PM »
a taper pal of mine, that is not on ts.com (yet), says that he sometimes upsamples his d7 dat tapes from 16bit to 24bit in order to add post processing compression, normailzing, etc.

he says that it allows for a smoother transition from the raw data to the bounced data

he then down samples back to 16 bit for cd burning, shn and flac distribution

does this make sense?

anyone else do this?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
Re:upsampling for post-processing??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 05:16:41 PM »
your description makes since

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 05:22:30 PM »
I "upsample" to 32-bit in CEP whenever I do something extraordinary.  For example I've finally gotten around to converting some of my very first tapes and almost half have significant clipping.  so I convert to 32-bit, run clip restoration, then back to 16-bit.

nice name btw
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 05:23:23 PM by Chris color »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Chris K

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 05:28:08 PM »
what i am wondering is, will the higher bit rate make an audible difference assuming you do the same post processing in 16bit?

what are the advantages?

this is quite new to me, and i find it very interesting!

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 05:36:35 PM »
a lot of people will record in 24bit and 48ktz when possible, even if the end result will be a CD (16/44.1).  Maybe it allows for more percision ???

my take is that you can't get more from less.  16 > 24 > 16 in my limited knowledge wouldn't make it better.  A horrible comparison is using mp3s, going 128 > 192.  You just can't get the data that isn't there.  However, maybe the smooting out theory is right......fuck I dunno, I'll shut up

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »
first: it's not upsampling.  bit rate change has nothing to do with changing the number of samples

more bits = more precise numbers.  doing calculations in the 24 bit realm allows for more precision

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 07:02:30 PM »
doing any kind of editing in 16bit, especially DSP (eq, etc), kills the quality.  take identical copies of a recording, DSP one in 16bit.  the other covert to 32bit-float (or 24bit) then DSP and dither back to 16bit.  that should give you your answer.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chris K

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 07:14:36 PM »
first: it's not upsampling.  bit rate change has nothing to do with changing the number of samples

more bits = more precise numbers.  doing calculations in the 24 bit realm allows for more precision

thanks...that actually makes alot of sense...more precise numbers should equal better calculations which should equal better sound...in theory

my inqury has been satisfied...PLAY ON!

-Elvis Presley

Offline Kelso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 03:56:38 PM »
well it's stupid to use 48 kHz if the final product is a cd. For a very non-significant gain in quality in recording you will lose more at the final conversion. 48 to 44.1 conversion is a very complex conversion and it's destructive.  The proper way to go is 24/44.1 or 24/88.2 for cd mastering.

zowie

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2004, 04:15:48 PM »
well it's stupid to use 48 kHz if the final product is a cd. For a very non-significant gain in quality in recording you will lose more at the final conversion. 48 to 44.1 conversion is a very complex conversion and it's destructive.  The proper way to go is 24/44.1 or 24/88.2 for cd mastering.

That's a myth.   Math is math, it's not destructive if done properly, or even very complex, just large numbers.  Unless you're writing the code, what do you care?

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2004, 06:06:17 PM »

no, the proper way is the highest possible bit and sample rate possible with the best possible conversion tools.  ideally id like to be working in 24/192, but just not enough out there that is up to that par yet.  yet.

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 05:22:38 PM »
Are you sure it's not destructive? Every pro audio software Iv' used propose different flavour of quality versus speed which would mean it is lossy (there is no "perfect" quality). Just thinking of what sampling is, I find it almost comparable to d/a a/d conversion, but maybe I'm missing something.
 Even if it's a very non-significant loss what's the point for 44.1 to 48 upsampling? If you use 96 right, but 48 it means losing space and processing time for almost nothing. Count more than realtime on a fast computer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com