Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezebox question  (Read 4000 times)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Squeezebox question
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »
OK, so I'm finally thinking about breaking down and getting a Squeezebox. Probably the Duet version. I think I know the answer to this question already, but just want to confirm...

I see that it's compatible with FLAC. Has anyone had any problem streaming FLAC files wirelessly? I have a small house and a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. Would love to point the Squeezeserver thing to my fileserver (Netgear ReadyNAS) and stream my live FLAC files to the living room system. Just a little worried about streaming the larger files over wireless. Should I be concerned, or am I worrying for nothing.  ;D
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Squeezebox question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 02:14:30 AM »
I initially had trouble streaming 24/48 FLACs in my small home.  I have an old-ish house (1921) with a narrow, closed layout -- bunch of small rooms stacked inline, lots of thick walls.  I started off not getting strong enough wifi reception from one end of the house (home office w/ music server and wifi access point) to the other (living room and listening space) for 24/48 files.  16/44 worked fine.  I ended up installing a hacked firmware on my wifi access point and boosting the signal.  24/48 files played fine, then.  Plenty of other solutions if you have signal problems:  hardwire, wifi repeater/bridge, powerline network adapter, etc.

On a related note:  not all Squeeze devices play 24/96 (most resample to 24/48 on the fly, I think), so confirm the specs of the unit you buy if that's a concern.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks Brian! I'm basically a 16/44 guy, so it looks like I'm set.

One other question: Squeezebox works entirely on a database structure, right? In other words, I can't browse a file structure on my media drive. So this means that I'll have to make sure all the FLACS are tagged appropriately in order to browse via the software or handset? Or is there a way around that?
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »
You can browse by file structure, but it's a bit annoying.  I bit the bullet and tagged all my music, very time consuming, but I find I play the tagged music much more than the untagged.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline lastubbe

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
Couple quick things to jump in here if someone can help...

Strangely enough I had the same wireless signal problem with my PS3 in my Family Room with, which must have sheets of metal in the wall as the signal from the router upstairs in the master bedroom is just not strong enough (even after trying a few different routers and Time Warners router).  Laptops connected okay enough to navigate on a weak signal, but not strong enough for an online game.  So I hardwired through the walls from upstairs.

Now I'm eyeing the Squeezebox touch (which would go in the same room) and am guessing I'll have the same problem trying to get a strong enough signal into the Squeezebox from the room.

Hardwiring isn't going to be an option for me now having two wireless units as I was told I can't split a connection coming from a router.

Can anyone expand on the options to boost a wireless signal to a Squeezebox?

And also, anyone know a release date on the Touch?  Any thoughts on this unit?

Thanks.
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
http://www.netgear.com/Solutions/HomeNetworking/PowerlineNetworking.aspx

I use these to get a hardwired connection in rooms and it works perfectly

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »

Now I'm eyeing the Squeezebox touch (which would go in the same room) and am guessing I'll have the same problem trying to get a strong enough signal into the Squeezebox from the room.

Hardwiring isn't going to be an option for me now having two wireless units as I was told I can't split a connection coming from a router.

I don't understand that last statement.  I have a switch after my router with no problem at all.  If you have Ethernet in that room, just throw a little 4-port switch in there and you can hardwire your squeezebox and ps3.

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »
for now my duet is wireless.  I've occasionally had a buffer issue I assume is b/c of this.  we have about a 1500 sq ft house.  router is in the back bedroom and the squeezbox is in the front room.  nothing too bad but I do plan to hardwire it.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »

I don't understand that last statement.  I have a switch after my router with no problem at all.  If you have Ethernet in that room, just throw a little 4-port switch in there and you can hardwire your squeezebox and ps3.

Pat

If I can split that line then my problems are solved, but cable told me I cannot.

I have an all in one, wireless modem and router.  I'm takeing an ethernet out of that unit through the ceiling and walls downstairs to the other side of the house.

You're saying I can split that signal with just a 4 port switch an I'm good?  If so thatd be perfect.

No signal strength loss?  I can't remember what I was told, but something about not being able to split an already split signal.

Thanks much.  Any quick 4 port switch recommendations?  Amazon?
@lastubbe

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
They were probably talking about the coax and your cable signal, splitting it to many times will weaken it. (I work for cable,btw)  Ethernet is good up to 100m, iirc.  I like Newegg, but Amazon should have some also.

Good Luck,

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »

Pat

If I can split that line then my problems are solved, but cable told me I cannot.

I have an all in one, wireless modem and router.  I'm takeing an ethernet out of that unit through the ceiling and walls downstairs to the other side of the house.

You're saying I can split that signal with just a 4 port switch an I'm good?  If so thatd be perfect.

No signal strength loss?  I can't remember what I was told, but something about not being able to split an already split signal.

You can definitely go Router > Ethernet run > Hub / Switch > machines etc no trouble at all. the only issue with what you describe is length of run. But I doubt you have 300ft of cable so no need to worry

An alt solution is to use WDS. With WDS you can create a wireless backbone. basically 2 wireless routers talking to eachother with 1 connected to your internet connection.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »

Pat

The cable company will give you 1 IP address and basically support a direct connection to your cable modem.

What you want to do is create a new internal network (using a router) and can have as many connections behind that as you want.  This is the typical behavior of any Linksys or Netgear type home router, typically everything is configured to be relatively plug and play.

The short answer is you can't just use a switch to go Cable Modem > Switch > Mulitple machines.  You need to go Cable Modem > Router (or wireless router) > Multiple machines.

Check out the WRT-54 linksys model wireless router model, it's fairly ubiquitous at this point and should do what you want for about $50.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
All good feedback, thank you.

In regards to the length of cable, I'm using a 100ft to the PS3, so I'm taking it that I should be okay from there to break it off?

In regards to the linksys, I've ran a couple over the years and am pretty happy with this new combo from cable.  What I'm using is cables Modem and Wireless router all in one. 

I will definitely look into the Newegg.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Has anyone heard of a release date for the Squeezebox touch?
@lastubbe

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 11:01:09 AM »
100ft should be fine, the max lenght for FastEthernet is 100M before you need to hit another switch so you should have no problems.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com