Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My little venture into tuning my new room  (Read 19298 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: My little venture into tuning my new room
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 10:57:50 PM »
Um, wow. Jealous. Nice, very, very nice.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »
Nicely done...

My only criticism is the two couches in front of the speakers...

The couches are taking up so much airspace - they have to be imparting a "tune" of their own.

I'd seek to clear the path in front of the speakers.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
your reading my mind.  both the couch and chair (+ end table) are out of there and are now behind the desk with the table that was behind the desk out all together, and the desk and loveseat are 1 ft forward too..  ive also got the speakers on the floor and off the old speaker cabs since all that lift (24") isnt needed, but a solution to raise them slightly (9" - 1' after testing a buttload of positions) is needed i think.  still having trouble finding a solution to plinths that is cost effective.   i also have serious limits on where the electronics can sit due to cable length and im needing a real rack or something solid and permanent to sit them on.  many things to figure out yet, but what a fun journey it has been so far.  i think this is more rewarding than taping simply because i can enjoy this everyday!

*and in my defense the original design wasnt my first choice.  my wife wanted the room to stay a social area where people could hang out.  she has been very cool so i have to give her respect on the few request she has had on the matter.  i do think this is a win-win situation since all the "social" furniture stays and the only loss is the big table which was very helpful making my panels but was not so used afterward.   

Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
Update:

now as you can see i moved all furniture but my primary listening seat out of the front of the room, made a set of plinths for my speakers which are finished, and created the wife friendly "social area" behind my desk with the couch and chair that used to be up front by the speakers.  now my speakers are 4' from the front of the box to the wall behind and 2.3' from the side walls.  i also removed 6 HF panels which has brought better balance to the room over all, none were bass traps though.  I still need to build a rack to sit the TV and gear on but think ill wait until im more sure of what my needs are.  over all im very happy with the improvements, the sound is noticeably better in both image and sound stage, a performance bump indeed just by opening the buisness end of the room for sound waves....

the speakers seem to really benefit having the plinths in the low end.  i have them spiked on the stone so they are as solid as a rock, thats for sure.  the centers are concrete, with a rubber dampener between the concrete and the stone toppers.  the wood is just cosmetic of course.

and this fossil was free with my purchase of the cut stone

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:22 AM »
looks great Jim, oh how I wish I could get my listening chair out in the room like that. Nice that you have that back area to sit in for folks not interested in being in the sweet spot.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 04:06:55 AM »
it is convenient, but i keep asking what kind of person doesnt want to be in the sweet spot?  and why am i hanging out with them? :P

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
:lol:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
it is convenient, but i keep asking what kind of person doesnt want to be in the sweet spot?  and why am i hanging out with them? :P

Just ask them to bring over their favorite recording, and play crank it for them.....you won't be able to get rid of 'em..... :)

Real niiiice job!
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Distant Jay

• "Will you Kournakova my Hingis?"
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
freak
thanks for doing all this after I visit.
 ;D
Team Pittsburgh Baby!

Neumann KM 184>Sound Devices 722
AKG 480/CK63
Nak 300 CP 1,2,3,4
Sound Devices 302

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:08 PM »
dude, you visited me 10 days after i moved in!  im good but not that good.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
have you attempted to put a bass trap or another form of absorber on your head while jamming out in the sweet spot? that may help deflect sound towards the far quadrant of your ears pronouncing the high frequency SPLs just ever so perfectly.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
no i have not.  ive been rather pleased with sound lately and that leads to lazy......

........and i forgot to post this here but i did get the Emotive XPA-2 (and an Oppo 980HD universal disc player which i have no pics of right now so ill leave it out of the conversation) which has been a huge improvement over my 24yr old adcom.  the biggest immediate improvement was the dynamics / sound stage and the low end.  as for dynamics and SS, it throws the sound from in front of you to all around you, it is quite cool and very pleasing to listen to....but the low end seems much improved in clarity and depth, which has made the sub blend better than before.  along with much more over-all detail and clarity, it is a very forward amp compared to both the adcom and my denon 3808 also, and with that forward presentation i find it more engaging and very fun to listen to.   ive now had many extended listening sessions which were enjoyable not fatiguing.  over all its not giant killer, but i would have to spend at least 2k more to do better, so im very happy for now.  its the perfect unit to use as a building block while i upgrade all the other components around it, and its totally able to push big loads like a set of full ESLs ;).   oh and its really fucking loud.   like retarded loud, which is not really an improvement since i never listen at that level. 

here are some pics and stuff:

blacked out or STFU. ;)

Specs:

• Number of Channels: 2

• Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B

• Power output (all channels driven):
500 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
300 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

• Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power

• Broadband Frequency Response: (-3db): 5Hz to 150kHz

• Amplifier Gain: 32db

• Signal to Noise Ratio:
1 watt:  >91db
Full Power:  >110db

• Input Impedance:
Unbalanced - 23.5kohms
Balanced - 33kohm

• Transformer Size: 1,200VA

• Secondary capacitance: 45,000uF

• Output Devices: 12 per channel

Size: 17” W x 7.75” H x 19” D
Weight: 75 lbs (89 lbs boxed)

FEATURES:

• Fully protected from all fault conditions

• Soft start circuitry

• External trigger turn on

• Soft touch power switch

• 4RU chassis w/ solid milled aluminum faceplate

• IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable

• Output design: Triple Darlington with On output stages

• Differential Drive: Dual Differential input

• Types of inputs: Balanced (XLR) and Un-balanced (RCA)

• Type of outputs: Audiophile quality 5 way binding post

• Display type: Digital status indicators

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
that thing is sweet looking!

Offline hzgone

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »
wow the whole thing is awesome.  Great work!
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:26 PM »
what kind of sub is that Jim?  How do you have it hooked up.  Is there a dedicated sub out from your reciever/amp?  Or do you feed the main speaker outs to the subs crossover?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.343 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com