Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2 - Dang Great Recorder!  (Read 6690 times)

e.maynard

• Trade Count: (0)
Zoom H2 - Dang Great Recorder!
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:58:15 AM »
I've been recording for quite some time (Studio multi-track mostly) since the mid-1980's and far more econo stuff before that.
I was looking for a sketchpad recorder that if the occasion arose I could get a decent keeper track. Using only the built in mics.

So, a couple of years back I bought an R-09. Decent but noisy as heck. Fixable.... in software, almost. But still. So I was looking at the R-09HR and the Sony M-10. Then for a lark I started looking at the Zoom H2. It's cheap and kinda toyish in appearance (Not much more so that the R-09 though) so I figured it would be below grade. Then one came up on eBay for $55 (Buy It Now), in the box, like new blah blah. I bought it. Why not?

This is a great point & shoot recorder. Not just for $55 bucks, for $150-$175 or whatever they usually cost. I know the mic and line in are noisy supposedly, but for guys like me looking for a small, quiet and not overly bright recorder with good mics for grabbing found sounds and recording folks in stereo (4 Channel too) this thing is a no brainer. I'm truly impressed.

Check out the Wingfield sound samples. They are a very good example of what I'm hearing.

Just sayin'!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:03:44 AM by e.maynard »

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Zoom H2 - Dang Great Recorder!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:34 AM »
Nice find! Congrats.

Offline Textplorer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
I don't get it... many people thrash the H2 with one or two simple lines like "to noisy"... The build quality is a joke, cheap plastic but i've never ever even been closed to break it (3 wild metal-gigs so far and counting) and regarding the noise.. just put a simple L-pad (i use -15db) on the Line-IN when using external microphones.

My settings for internal mics: (everything "OFF" in the menue)

REAR 120
Recording Level: 100
Mic Sensitivity: LOW

The main problem with using the internal microphones is to aim them right, my 2 cents.

e.maynard

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41:38 AM »
I say the the mic and line in are noisy supposedly....and in truth I haven't tried them.
I gotta test that.

But the internal mics are quiet. If I gain stage correctly and my source isn't as quiet as a bat fart it sounds very useable.

It smokes my old R-09, and going only by the Wingfiels samples, I prefer it's sound to the R-09HR.
I'm not a fan of hyped high end.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 01:10:22 PM »
The external mic input is indeed rather noisy. The line input is OK, though. I've even heard of people recording loud rock music with mics attached to the line input, since its sensitivity is far higher than that of most other line inputs.

The H2 works also very nicely in combination with the OKM binaural mics and their preamp attached to the line input.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline MaxJames

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
I suppose everyone has different definitions of "nice audio". I have the Tascam DR100 and Edirol R44, while my son has a Zoom H2 which I bought but found the audio quality too low to be acceptale other than a toy for him. 

Compared to the DR100 and R44, the H2 is more akin to a tape recorder - very high noise and somewhat colored timber, regardless whether internal mics, or ext. mic in. Even the line-in is noisyer than my $40 MP3 player which also has a line-in.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:42:38 AM »
Compared to the DR100 and R44, the H2 is more akin to a tape recorder - very high noise and somewhat colored timber, regardless whether internal mics, or ext. mic in. Even the line-in is noisyer than my $40 MP3 player which also has a line-in.
Hmmm - I'd disagree (I have the R-44 and H2) other than on the issue of mic input noise.

In support, some examples of my own -

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=11501

also

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/Sampleone.mp3 was recorded on an H2 using its built in mics only in 4ch H100 16/44.1 - the recording was made with the H2 suspended above a 3500 sold-out concert hall, and is of one of the world's most famous choirs with organ. The recording has been post-produced in Reaper - I'm more interested in the sound after production rather than straight from the H2, as that's what my clients here. IMHO it's a pretty amazing result!

and

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=96318#p96318

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »
CA-11 (split omni)>CA-9000>H2 (line in):
http://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/RobertWalter%27s20thCongress-2009-11-14-CA11o-12.wav

H2 internal mics:
http://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/WaneeCampfireJam-2009-06-06-04.wav

http://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/part2-2.wav

I've knocked mine off a tall bar and it nailed a hard wooden bar stool before crashing onto the concrete floor and you can barely find the scratch. It may be plastic but its built better than folks would have you believe.

I mainly run my R-44 now but I keep the H2 as a backup and low profile rig. I've gotten some damn good recordings with it.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
BTW, I don't have the link handy but there is a firmware update that will make the 2GB transition to a new file seamless. Recommended!
--
Walter

this>that>the other

e.maynard

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
Compared to the DR100 and R44, the H2 is more akin to a tape recorder

In my mind that's not a bad thing.

I just took another listen to the "speech samples" on Wingfields site. The DR100 is slightly hissy-er and more thin by comparison to the H2. I'm sure the H2's "warmth" is due to a slight high end roll-off but...... It's records very well.

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

Great sound samples Ozpeter & cybergaloot.
The detail of the beer can opening in the Campfire Jam was beyond life-like!

I upgraded the firmware. Nice. By the way..... Longest lasting rechargeables? Opinions?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:16:19 PM by e.maynard »

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
I should point out that that campfire jam recording was without any PA and the guitar was going through a Roland Microcube battery powered amp, all of 2watts.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline MaxJames

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »
Most people's experiences of the H2 and DR-100 seem to be just the opposite of mine - wonder if it is due to individual unit variations.

For example, my measurement of the Edirol R-44's noise floor/EIN numbers agrees with Ozpeter's very will, and my DR-100 actually is a couple of dB LOWER in noise floor/EIN than the R44. But my H2's mic-in noise floor/EIN is way higher. I have never measured the noise floor/EIN of the H2's internal mics though.

You guys definitely have got great recordings from the H2, particularly when using the internal mics. OK I will give my H2 one more try using the internal mics. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
The very poor external mic input noise on the H2 has always struck me as very odd, given that otherwise it's in line with expectations at the price.  If it was always seriously noisy (eg with built in mics) I could understand it, but the way it is I find bizarre.  But like someone said above, it's great for standalone point and shoot - a pair of stereo mics that records.

However, look on the bright side - the noisy mic input of the H2 gives me an excuse to buy the Sony PCM-M10... :)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »
Heh, a colleague who knows what he's talking about and who uses the H2 with a Sound Devices 302 mixer has just posted this on another forum -

BTW, under these conditions, I measure a noise floor on the H2 file as better than -90dB rms A-wtd. Using the MTII connected as previously documented, with 0dBu lineup for -18dBfs, I measure a noise floor around -100dBA. In either case not bad (and 20dB better than any professional portable tape recorder I have used, and weighing many kilograms less).

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:50 PM »
It has been consistently reported that the external mic in is noisy. But I have not heard any reliable reports of problems with the line in. Sure, I doubt it is as good as a more expensive unit but I suspect it will pass most people's average usage. Almost all of the current digital recorders have far better specs than much of what people were using just ten years ago. Really we are shopping features and reliability. I prefer my R-44 for its four channel capability and its other features.

BTW, here's a recording of CA-14 omni mics (stage lip)>CA-9000>H2 (line in):
http://yodaslai.ipower.com/bradfordvilleblues/media/ChrisDuarte-2008-11-22-CA-14omni-Set1--3.wav

And another (excuse off center mic placement please):
http://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/BW02.wav
--
Walter

this>that>the other

e.maynard

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
BTW, here's a recording of CA-14 omni mics (stage lip)>CA-9000>H2 (line in):

Great recordings. Any post processing?

Thanks.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
No EQ, compression or limiter, maybe amplified a little to bring levels up but that's it. I ~rarely~ use a little EQ, never compression or limiter.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline lpmaskman

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
I have a Zoom H2, and I love it, I using with my homemade mics and battery box and it works very good. I mostly records loud rock/metal shows and the internal preamp noise is not disturbing. I can't hear it.
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
The H2 is popular as a point and shoot recorder for musicians to be able to easily tape themselves. The internal mics sound excellent. As a recorder for tapers to use with external mics to record loud concerts, it is not ideal. A serious taper would be far better off spending an extra hundred on a  Sony PCM-M10 for that. The D10 also has excellent internal mics as well, and you can get one for as little as $279.99 shipped buy it now on E-Bay with 8% cash back and 2% E-Bay bucks for a net of close to $250.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:55:37 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
An admittedly quick look doesn't reveal at D10 at anything like that price - can you post a link?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »
Ah, the M10.  I was looking at the more expensive D1 and D50 models.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 04:28:15 AM »
My mistake for calling the M10 a D10-sorry.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com