Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Losing static IP address in Windows 7 after sleep  (Read 12863 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Losing static IP address in Windows 7 after sleep
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »
I am having problems retaining a static IP address when my computer has the screen off.  I have everything set up correctly and when my computer is "active," I can retain a static IP address.  The problem is after an hour when my screen turns off, I lose the static IP address when I use the computer again.  This would not be a huge problem but when I am seeding shows, it really slows everything down and turns a one day event into a one week event.  Does anybody have any assistance on this?

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a 64-bit Lenovo T400 and am using Utorrent with a Linksys WRT-160v2 router.  I just tried to change the power settings to "maximum performance" on the wireless connection from "regular power savings" but I have no idea if this will do the trick or not.

Can anybody provide any assistance?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Losing static IP address in Windows 7 after sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
Try updating your NIC driver.....

No hits in google?
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »
you're getting a static IP from your ISP?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »

I would say he's getting the static from his router...

the water's clean and innocent

Offline sparkey

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »
If an IP address isn't assigned to the NIC directly, it is dynamic.  Open a command prompt and run ipconfig /all and plug your desired IP address into your network card, and use the DNS and gateways settings from the ipconfig command.

I would say he's getting the static from his router...

Offline jlykos

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »
I think that I may have come up with a solution.  I went into the power settings and switched the wireless adapter to "maximum performance" when it is plugged in.  Just returned after class and my connection was still active, suggesting that what I did worked.  I'm going to leave it seeding overnight and see if it is still active when I wake up.

Thanks for the responses so far.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline sparkey

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
But are you assigning it an IP?  Eventually that IP will release and renew.

I think that I may have come up with a solution.  I went into the power settings and switched the wireless adapter to "maximum performance" when it is plugged in.  Just returned after class and my connection was still active, suggesting that what I did worked.  I'm going to leave it seeding overnight and see if it is still active when I wake up.

Offline jlykos

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »

Yes, now this is driving me insane.  I finally got the static IP address to stick after the screen turned off.  The problem is that Windows just updated so I had to restart my computer.  Now I can't get a static IP address at all (it just keeps resetting whenever I plug in the address) nor can I even contact my router on the 192.168.1.1 default.  I am at my breaking point about this.

Can anybody please explain to me in very clear and simple language what I can do to get a static IP address that will remain active?  I have tried the Microsoft forums, Google searches, you name it.  I can't figure out much of what they are writing.  I am virtually positive that I am doing the right thing because I could do this in XP and I never had any problems.  I also checked out the guides on Portforward.com and that worked yesterday but it doesn't work at all after the recent Windows update.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »
Maybe you'll get lucky and it will awake to Linux.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:11:28 AM »
If your router supports UPnP I would suggest setting that up in uTorrent (and your router).

There is some info on this page (scroll down).

http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/connection-setup

I'm sure a google search will turn up more info if you need it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline sparkey

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
Insano, did you update your driver?

Yes, now this is driving me insane.  I finally got the static IP address to stick after the screen turned off.  The problem is that Windows just updated so I had to restart my computer.  Now I can't get a static IP address at all (it just keeps resetting whenever I plug in the address) nor can I even contact my router on the 192.168.1.1 default.  I am at my breaking point about this.

Can anybody please explain to me in very clear and simple language what I can do to get a static IP address that will remain active?  I have tried the Microsoft forums, Google searches, you name it.  I can't figure out much of what they are writing.  I am virtually positive that I am doing the right thing because I could do this in XP and I never had any problems.  I also checked out the guides on Portforward.com and that worked yesterday but it doesn't work at all after the recent Windows update.

Offline jlykos

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »

Yes, everything is updated.  I am now able to contact the router without a problem but still cannot get a static IP to stick at all.  I fill in the information, close out of the windows, the computer reconnects, and when I go back to check the IP, everything has reverted to the automatic configuration.

I posted a question on the MS Windows 7 forums last night so hopefully somebody over there has an answer to this.  It is driving me crazy and makes it very difficult to seed any shows at all.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
What is the model number of the NIC?

Yes, everything is updated.  I am now able to contact the router without a problem but still cannot get a static IP to stick at all.  I fill in the information, close out of the windows, the computer reconnects, and when I go back to check the IP, everything has reverted to the automatic configuration.

I posted a question on the MS Windows 7 forums last night so hopefully somebody over there has an answer to this.  It is driving me crazy and makes it very difficult to seed any shows at all.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
have to ask the obvious: why not let the router assign the IP?
your torrents will still work just fine...

the water's clean and innocent

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
This is almost certainly not a NIC or Windows 7 problem.  I'm guessing your network at home is set up with the typical Cable/DSL Modem > NAT Router>Client devices like 99% of home users.

What is happening is your router is assigning a new DHCP lease each time your PC NIC powers off.  There are 2 options to keep a consistent IP on the client PC.

1 - Truly statically assign the IP address on the client PC, This will require you going in to the network config on the PC and configuring the settings to an available IP on your home network something like this..

2- Create a DHCP reservation on your router for the client PC.  This varies a bit with the type of router you have but a google search for "Linksys (Insert your router manufacturer here) DHCP reservation"  should yield decent results. Essentially you provide the router the MAC address of your PC and it will be sure to always assign the same IP address to you PC.  It will look something like this...

Either of these solutions will get you a consistent IP address.  Like Mike says, if the goal if Torrent port forwarding, enabling UPnP on your router will have the same effect without the need for static IPs or DHCP reservations.  What is the goal?

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline jlykos

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »
Hey, thanks for the responses.  I think that the second idea that you mentioned: creating a DCHP reservation in the router did the job.  I hope that it will manage this over the next few days.  The first suggestion was the thing that absolutely refused to work.

All I wanted to do was to use Utorrent correctly and the UPnP thing did not work either.  I tried to activate it in the router and I could not connect to any internet pages then.

Thanks again for everything!  Hopefully this will do the job.

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »

jlykos,
If you have not resolved the problem are you using access connections?  This program will take over your network configuration and not allow your network setup to "stick."  As far as the ip address changing it is true that ip addresses will release and renew if you do not have a reservation but computers request that their leases be renewed hours before their lease expires.  this causes the lease to be renewed before the lease expires so you will have the same ip address.  but when you wake up you computer needs to get a new ip address this tell me that your computer is probably asleep.  make sure that is turned off when plugged in.
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »
Hey, thanks for the responses.  I think that the second idea that you mentioned: creating a DCHP reservation in the router did the job.  I hope that it will manage this over the next few days.  The first suggestion was the thing that absolutely refused to work.

All I wanted to do was to use Utorrent correctly and the UPnP thing did not work either.  I tried to activate it in the router and I could not connect to any internet pages then.

I don't know if someone else has suggested this before, but did you already think about using dynamic DNS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DynDNS

There are providers that will operate a basic service for free (e.g. http://www.dyndns.com/).

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »

I don't know if someone else has suggested this before, but did you already think about using dynamic DNS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DynDNS

There are providers that will operate a basic service for free (e.g. http://www.dyndns.com/).

The issue was not with the external IP of his router, it was with the internal IP that his client Pc was getting on the private side of his NAT router.  In order to forward the Bittorrent ports for best torrent performance he needed a consistent IP address for the Pc that would be running the torrent client.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com