Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which passive headphones are best?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline deadhedjed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which passive headphones are best?
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
I am looking to buy new headphones and wanted to know what the best passive monitoring headphones are?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Which passive headphones are best?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
1) Define best (what criteria do you hold in high-esteem).
2) Budget?
3a) Where would you use this (so is isolation a concern or no)?
3b) Do you use an amp/dac or are you just plugging it into a soundcard or the recorder?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline deadhedjed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
1.Highest db elimination without sound quality loss.
2. $100-$200
3a. live shows with multi-track recordings that isolate each instrument as a separate track. I want to monitor each instrument at a time and am having a hard time getting bass levels because it bleeds through my headphones so bad.
3b. plugged into a presonus firestudio preamp.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
If the isolation is clutch, then I'd look at a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50 or (I think this is the model number) Sony MDR-7506. The M50 is sort of a dark headphone and might help with what your looking for, and if thats the right model, the Sonys seem to be used by a lot of folks in the field. Both are closed back phones.

beyerdynamic makes a set of DT-48s which have supreme clamping force, but it's almost too much to wear for any real length of time. I can't remember if they are open back or not.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Shure line of earplug style headphones.  I've owned two pairs now and you can often find the MSRP $120 ones on a clearance of one type or another in the $60 range.  Granted they aren't big ol' cans or anything, but I've found their isolation to be really quite good, and being as they're not the big clunkers, their portability can't be beat.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:21:18 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Shure line of earplug style headphones.  I've owned two pairs now and you can often find the MSRP $120 ones on a clearance of one type or another in the $60 range.  Granted they aren't big ol' cans or anything, but I've found their isolation to be really quite good, and being as they're not the big clunkers, their portability can't be beat.

true, etymotic and westone make IEMs which have around 25db of isolation as well.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
I would look at in-ear monitors for your purposes.  If the instrument levels are that high, they will bleed through even closed headphones.  Shure, Etymotics, Westone, Ultimate Ears, and a few other companies make these.  In your price range, I have used the Westone UM1 earphones and I like them a lot.  Great midrange, highly accurate, fantastic isolation, and comfortable, but only go down to around 40 hz.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
I've been using the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO headphones for location recording over the past few years, precisely because of their excellent isolation from outside sound--the best (i.e. most) I've ever heard in a pair of headphones. I would certainly never recommend them for a pleasant listening experience--they're oddly dark and they've got somewhat the opposite of "presence," I find. But with a little practice I adapted to them as well as I have to any other headphones. They don't seem to tell outright lies, and that's important. They can be worn for hours on end, and the headband and ear cushions are user-replaceable.

I'm no fan of the Sony MDR-V6 phones (now sold as the model 7506), though they're a kind of a standard and I did use them for a year or two. But they've got bumps in their frequency response that really send the wrong signals (literally) about a recording. If you're trying to figure out where to put your microphones, you can end up with bad recordings if you believe what those phones are telling you. They're OK for editing, though, and one of their bumps is in a good place for hearing hum in case you're picking any of that up.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline deadhedjed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
anyone ever tried or heard much about the koss QZ99's?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com