Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SOUND DEVICES 7-SERIES RECORDER UPDATE  (Read 80916 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:SOUND DEVICES 7-SERIES RECORDER UPDATE
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2004, 11:39:05 AM »
these things CAN use the large 5000 or 6000mA camcorder batteries right?  for 5-6 hours?  i know we've discusses this in the past, but I just wanted to make sure again (posts in the past day or so only mentioned 3 hours with large camcorder batteries)

Offline Marc Nutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2004, 12:53:39 PM »
these things CAN use the large 5000 or 6000mA camcorder batteries right?  for 5-6 hours?  i know we've discusses this in the past, but I just wanted to make sure again (posts in the past day or so only mentioned 3 hours with large camcorder batteries)

Hi Scott and All,

Yeah, it looks like it will accept any battery that is the same physical length.  The only difference with the bigger batteries is that they will protrude further off the back.  We  only mentioned the batteries that we saw yesterday being used to actually operate the unit.

Marc

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »

There is no need for an external battery.  One of those large $70.00 or under Sony or RayOVacs will run the unit for over 3 hours.  I can't foresee ever buying another sla (unless I need the heavy festivarian 12v).

Marc

What show runs three hours including the opener?  And a festival can be 10-12 hrs a day for 3 days.  And when I'm running across states between shows, I can't charge the $70 camcorder battery but a $20 SLA should run a couple shows.  I can see alot of use for an external SLA with one of these unless the Li battery will run 4-5 hours.  Did you guys happen to learn the current draw through the external DC port?

Were you guys just bullshitting about July?

Great points.  Still as Scott mentioned, and we didn't in our posts, knowing Scott had already written about it earlier, the 6000mA version will give us nearly 6 hours per battery.

Still cooler is the fact that you could use your sla with a properly wired Hirose cable and actually charge the internal battery while you are "running across the country" but only have to carry-in the light-weight Sony or Rayovac cell when you are running across the parking lot.

Oh, and about July...
We mentioned it as speculation and were told "that's conservative." It could be earlier....
Still, wouldn't we rather be surprised by an arrival a little earlier than yet another delay around that time???

Marc

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #348 on: May 19, 2004, 01:02:57 PM »
Hey Boswell and All,

I didn't notice if John mentioned this or not.

We took a 744T and set it up for line in operation.  With headphones, and NO AUDIO INPUT SIGNAL you can barely hear a little tick as you turn the dial increasing or decreasing in .1dB increments.  It's there but I think it won't be a major issue to worry about when it comes to hitting these guys with concert level audio on the inputs.

Still, SD recommends using a pre-amp with continuous gain or using the onboard pre as they claim it will be fantastic.

We used a Schoeps mic and spoke into and listened to each other speaking during the session yesterday.  Nice and quiet as one would expect.  Still, without a direct a/b comparison, it is too soon to comment.

Marc

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »

Still cooler is the fact that you could use your sla with a properly wired Hirose cable and actually charge the internal battery while you are "running across the country" but only have to carry-in the light-weight Sony or Rayovac cell when you are running across the parking lot.

this is very cool, IMO, this is my whole idea behind the jb3/12v batt thing, leave the 12v at your campsite or whatever, then charge after each show, the jb3 wont die foir many shows, or in a festival setting, just have a couple sla's if really needed to get even more extended run times

i like the idea that we can charge on the road w/ all thse lion or lithium batts, w/ sla's!!!

the days of actually carrying them in most venues is most def gone, just internals for the most pat(what i conside the sony batts too)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #350 on: May 19, 2004, 01:24:37 PM »

Great points.  Still as Scott mentioned, and we didn't in our posts, knowing Scott had already written about it earlier, the 6000mA version will give us nearly 6 hours per battery.

Oh, and about July...
We mentioned it as speculation and were told "that's conservative." It could be earlier....
Still, wouldn't we rather be surprised by an arrival a little earlier than yet another delay around that time???

Marc

Thanks Marc,

I do think that 5-6 hours will be plenty for most shows.  I have in mind some low profile situations where I will need to start the recorder in the lot and go inside with it running in a purse, so that will not work with a 3 hour battery.  I read above about the delayed record timer, but that relies on a fixed start time for the set.

Did you guys get any info on the external power source current draw?  I'm interested in putting together power supplies before it gets here.

Unless "could be earlier" means in my hands before Bonnaroo, the delivery of my unit will be as anti-climactic as my morning bran flakes.  

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #351 on: May 19, 2004, 01:31:01 PM »
Hey Boswell and All,

I didn't notice if John mentioned this or not.

We took a 744T and set it up for line in operation.  With headphones, and NO AUDIO INPUT SIGNAL you can barely hear a little tick as you turn the dial increasing or decreasing in .1dB increments.  It's there but I think it won't be a major issue to worry about when it comes to hitting these guys with concert level audio on the inputs.

Still, SD recommends using a pre-amp with continuous gain or using the onboard pre as they claim it will be fantastic.

We used a Schoeps mic and spoke into and listened to each other speaking during the session yesterday.  Nice and quiet as one would expect.  Still, without a direct a/b comparison, it is too soon to comment.

Marc

If you can barely hear it with no audio signal, I bet that you'll not notice any gain change at a show a la v3 5db steps...  sounds like m148 users will be happy.

Thanks Marc, for the info and the avitar!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 01:31:59 PM by wboswell »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #352 on: May 19, 2004, 01:35:36 PM »
the days of actually carrying them in most venues is most def gone, just internals for the most pat(what i conside the sony batts too)

Unless you front with a V3. ;-)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2004, 01:40:47 PM »

Unless you front with a V3. ;-)

haha, thats merely a 6v tho, i laugh at 6v's...j/k

seriosuly tho, a 6v 7.2amp lasts 2...3hrs shows easily tho, so thats an sla i will carry ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2004, 02:19:38 PM »

seriosuly tho, a 6v 7.2amp lasts 2...3hrs shows easily tho, so thats an sla i will carry

2-3 hours? how many amps is the V3 pulling?
a V2 pulls about 700mAH and I easily get 5-6+ hours off a 6v 4ah sla

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #355 on: May 19, 2004, 02:33:26 PM »
 i think he meant *2* 3 hour shows....so roughly 6+ hours of use :)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #356 on: May 19, 2004, 02:39:33 PM »
i think he meant *2* 3 hour shows....so roughly 6+ hours of use :)

ah, that makes a *little* more sense :)

the water's clean and innocent

marc0789

« Reply #357 on: May 19, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »
sheet metal pilfered from a construction site? :o

Offline Tim

« Reply #358 on: May 19, 2004, 04:43:49 PM »
:lol: looks like something my dad would order from the shop!

good call Marc, knew it looked for familiar.. no tinners in your family, are there?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #359 on: May 19, 2004, 04:49:01 PM »
:lol: looks like something my dad would order from the shop!

good call Marc, knew it looked for familiar.. no tinners in your family, are there?
:lol:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com