Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Computer dorks (need processer/RAM advice on new DAW build)>  (Read 17914 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Computer dorks (need processer/RAM advice on new DAW build)>
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
4 Gigs - there's 8GB in the box & 4 are addressable by XP. So 4 would be useless.

>And dont take this the wrong way  - but dont be so apprehensive about messing around with your computer. Go for it -  you really cant break anything.

Um. You can very, very easily break things. And while the computer is NOT doing what I want it to now, it is perfectly fine for someone who is not trying to do audio production with it. So I could potentially lose a perfectly good email/internet/media computer by fucking around with it.

Gotcha on the 4/8 gig thing...my bad.

There is nothing you could do - short of hitting it with a hammer - that cant be fixed in a hour by a computer savy person...So I have to disagree with you there...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »

Um. You can very, very easily break things. And while the computer is NOT doing what I want it to now, it is perfectly fine for someone who is not trying to do audio production with it. So I could potentially lose a perfectly good email/internet/media computer by fucking around with it.

Like runonce said, short of PHYSICAL damage, you won't do anything bad. These software/driver issues are not like performing a mod on a recorder where you actually replace pre-amps and could damage it.

IF you do decide to get a new machine, would you use the same exact tascam setup or do you have something else in mind?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »

Like runonce said, short of PHYSICAL damage, you won't do anything bad. These software/driver issues are not like performing a mod on a recorder where you actually replace pre-amps and could damage it.

IF you do decide to get a new machine, would you use the same exact tascam setup or do you have something else in mind?

I have no idea how you guys can say with such confidence nothing bad will happen. Again, I will pay anyone here a bunch of money if you can get on the phone & walk me through setting this thing up & getting it working. The Tascam driver is confirmed to work on multiple other systems, so yes, I will stay with it.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 10:01:59 AM »

I have no idea how you guys can say with such confidence nothing bad will happen. Again, I will pay anyone here a bunch of money if you can get on the phone & walk me through setting this thing up & getting it working. The Tascam driver is confirmed to work on multiple other systems, so yes, I will stay with it.

find us a way to be able to remote into the machine as well. discussing the problem on the phone/message boards are one thing but remoting in is ideal.

www.bomgar.com is a remote way that I personally know of. Don't know if end users can use it, though.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
Is Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance not available on Win 7 home?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
Just spoke to Dell, after one of the more frustrating CS experiences of my life, they are sending someone to replace the motherboard. Please cross your fingers for me, because if this doesn't work there is a suicidal or homicidal rage in my near future.

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »
Well this could be positive (mobo replacement--not the suicide/murder)

I'm assuming you've tried various usb things and they all work, don't work, fail?

Just spoke to Dell, after one of the more frustrating CS experiences of my life, they are sending someone to replace the motherboard. Please cross your fingers for me, because if this doesn't work there is a suicidal or homicidal rage in my near future.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
date=1274727868]
Well this could be positive (mobo replacement--not the suicide/murder)

I'm assuming you've tried various usb things and they all work, don't work, fail?

[/quote]

Everything *seems* to work with the exception of the Tascam & Presonus units. But to be fair, I haven't plugged much else in - USB hard drive, keyboard, mouse, and Alphatrack, that is it. All those worked fine.  However, the fact that 2 seperate known-good interfaces both crapped when plugged into this system tells me something is not right.

My LMA Recordings

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:27 AM »
A new mobo sounds like putting a new engine a car that only needs an oil change...

Considering USB seems to work otherwise - this seems like a long shot. I guess we'll know soon.

Your audio problems sound very Linux-y, usually driver related.

Hope it works out...

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
A new mobo sounds like putting a new engine a car that only needs an oil change...

You know, again - I'm happy to entertain other solutions. Do you have any ideas as to solving the actual problem? Metaphors don't help.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »

Problem = solved. The wireless card needed to be disabled in device manager. I had tried disabling the driver previously, that didn't work, but disabling the entire device fixes the problem entirely. Must be some kind of conflict.

At any rate, I do appreciate all the help from everyone, even after all the issues, I am now working with a really nice computer for a lot less cash. So thanks! :)

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »

Problem = solved. The wireless card needed to be disabled in device manager. I had tried disabling the driver previously, that didn't work, but disabling the entire device fixes the problem entirely. Must be some kind of conflict.

At any rate, I do appreciate all the help from everyone, even after all the issues, I am now working with a really nice computer for a lot less cash. So thanks! :)

See, Matt... The oddest things are the problem solvers. Interesting why a desktop would have wireless but glad to hear it has finally been resolved.

Who figured out the issue? I guess a new mobo wasn't called for, correct?

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
FWIW I would suggest disabling the Wireless NIC in the BIOS as well if it is built in to the Motherboard if you really want to avoid conficts.  It might also do you some good to update the BIOS and also check if there are updated drivers for your wireless card.  It is possible that could get everything playing well together.

I'd also totally understand if you don't want to touch anything!

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:54 AM »

Who figured out the issue? I guess a new mobo wasn't called for, correct?

I did. I was digging on a Dell forum, and found an old post from someone who said that he was having the same issue, and that he disabled his wireless card from scanning an old band (802a or something), and that fixed the issue entirely. I went looking for similar settings, didn't find anything, and just tried disabling it entirely, and presto - worked perfectly. Yes, fairly safe to say the new mobo was not necessary.

FWIW I would suggest disabling the Wireless NIC in the BIOS as well if it is built in to the Motherboard if you really want to avoid conficts.  It might also do you some good to update the BIOS and also check if there are updated drivers for your wireless card.  It is possible that could get everything playing well together.

I'd also totally understand if you don't want to touch anything!

I may do that, but there's is a network drop right near the computer, so it's no big thing to plug in. It's actually not even our wireless network that the computer connects to, so probably a better idea all around. And yes, I'm going to finish a song or 2 before I F with anything. :)

My LMA Recordings

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
Problem = solved.
:thinking:
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com