Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

How often do you EQ - and when you do, how heavily?

The music should be unadulterated - I don't do any.
19 (30.2%)
Just a little (+/- 3dB) and very sparingly - just a little bass/treble adjustment
18 (28.6%)
Regularly, but only a few dB (+/- 3dB), but only when called for
17 (27%)
Regularly and fairly heavily (+/- more than 3dB), but only when called for
5 (7.9%)
I call all of my tapes "remasters" and EQ the hell out of them
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: How often do you EQ? And how much?  (Read 8450 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
How often do you EQ? And how much?
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
Not a particularly original poll, but something I've been thinking about it a lot again after reading a great post by DSatz in another threat (to very heavily summarize, if I may, he said "don't be afraid to EQ to take out unwanted sound").

To me, the biggest concern about doing it is that what may show up as a "flaw" in one playback system may not on another - particularly with regard to bass, which, if you have a giant subwoofer for instance, may sound perfectly fine on that system, but terrible on headphones (especially small headphones).  And of course, all listeners are different, too. 

It is an issue I grapple with as I post many of my recordings on a public site, and for me, a lot of the enjoyment comes from knowing other fans are enjoying my recordings.  To some degree, that means satisfying "average" taste as well as my own.  But of course, if you go too far in that direction, you end up with the heavily compressed, heavily treble-boosted sound that people now take to be "normal." 

I'm also curious, when people do EQ, how heavily they are really doing it.  Personally, I try to really only roll off low frequencies and/or boost high frequencies by a few dB (+/- 3) unless something is really off.  I only play with the presence and midrange to compensate for more unusual flaws, and I've only done that maybe a few times.

I suppose I could have broadened this to discuss compression and other techniques that are common to studio recordings today... feel free to mention how heavily you, for example, use compression to boost "loudness" in the comments. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: How often do you EQ? And how much?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
I make my recordings sound good to me. More often than not, I bump up the high end just a titch.

If I'm recording at a great sounding venue (ie Fox in Boulder)...I usually leave it because it sounds great to begin with.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »
I don't EQ at all; I leave that for the final listener.  I have a fairly accurate recording and playback system; not perfect, but what is?  I like to listen to the show as it happened so I don't EQ if I can avoid it.  If I am stealth recording indoors with my omnis, I will engage the bass rolloff on the recorder at 75hz.  That's one form of EQing of course, but I try not to touch it too much after that.

Honestly, most of what you can call "EQing" comes with my selection of source components.  I like Gefells because guitars sound fantastic on them; the PSP-2 gives a very coherent presentation; my Moon Audio cables are solid silver for maximum transparency of the PSP.  My playback system reflects this as well with B&W speakers and a Cambridge Audio amplifier.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
+ or -3db is a fairly significant cut/boost.
just sayin'...
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
I make my recordings sound good to me. More often than not, I bump up the high end just a titch.

This is what I do. My mics give me all the bass I need.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
I only EQ when necessary,  and it is usually a resonant frequency in the room I drop down.   I take a 30 band EQ and just go hunting for the boomy rubbish above the deep bass.  (I'd only use a roll-off in extreme cicumstances.) It usually is somewhere between 150 and 250Hz for the stuff I tape.  I find dropping that pesky frequency down a bit clears everything up and no other adjustments are required.  One or two bands get dropped , less than 3db usually.

YMMV
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
If you consider HPF a form of eq, I do that quite often, especially on vocal and choral music.  Lots of venues have rumbling HVAC and nearby truck traffic.
Otherwise I may sometimes add a few dB to bring out a bass line or perhaps subtract a couple dB to reduce mouth noises in a vocal.  Then I'll try to find a better mic placement next time.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
its a live recording.  never touch them.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
I voted for the first option, but mostly because a) I don't know what I'm doing, and b) my playback system consists of a cheap set of earphones.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
sameas greenone--I have a crap playback system. I only EQ if I can hear something majorly wrong with a tape
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
I only EQ when necessary,  and it is usually a resonant frequency in the room I drop down.   I take a 30 band EQ and just go hunting for the boomy rubbish above the deep bass.  (I'd only use a roll-off in extreme cicumstances.) It usually is somewhere between 150 and 250Hz for the stuff I tape.  I find dropping that pesky frequency down a bit clears everything up and no other adjustments are required.  One or two bands get dropped , less than 3db usually.

YMMV
Jesse

Yup, there is almost always a room resonance or two that you can hunt down and remove.  Excellent technique for improving indoor recordings.  +T  8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »

Yup, there is almost always a room resonance or two that you can hunt down and remove.  Excellent technique for improving indoor recordings.  +T  8)
[/quote]

I have tried to do more of that after the engineer for a band I recorded recommended (very specifically) that I drop the 400Hz range by -6dB (she must have quite an ear).  Admittedly, I lack her ear and don't have nearly as good an idea where bad room resonances lurk.  Is it generally in the 150-400Hz range?

For that matter, is there any good source of "test tones" of the various frequencies that one can listen to?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
i typically dont do it, but sometimes it can yield an improvement.

I EQ stuff we do as a band, but seldom on AUD recordings that I make.

Offline jagraham

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »
never done it

im actually really intrigued by acidjack's post about reducing certain frequencies to help with bad room resonance.  never made a "bad" outdoor recording but there are a few indoor recordings ive done i may consider this approach on for a "remaster".  any links to posts that deal with that specifically?

again, ive never done any of this to a recording before.  all i do is amplify to -.01 in audacity and remove peaks from clapping or other nusiances and amplify again.  i see no need to fuck with the original signal so the laypersons have a better "listening experience".  with decent/basic speakers and a receiver a recording has to be pretty terrible to be unlistenable with some EQ on that.  i have an OLD kenwood KR-5600 receiver with basic bass/treble knobs and "high filter" and "loudness" buttons.  IMO, this pretty basic setup is enough to make any of my recordings at least listenable. 
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »
My Schoeps are "warm."  Read:  Can be a little bass heavy and high end deficient.  Highpass (60-80 or 100 depending on room) every time.  Rarely need any high end boost, but sometimes. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com