Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best AA batteries out at the moment (R-09)  (Read 16474 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
Best AA batteries out at the moment (R-09)
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »
Hey guys, I have a bit of money so I'm looking to solidify my rig more.

First step - clamp. (Buying tomorrow).
Second step - batteries. (Here's where I am)
Third step - better mics (I'll get there...lol)

So, batteries. What would you say is the best out there right now? Just looking for AA's to power the R-09 right now.

I'm looking at 2 different possibilities:
1 - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Energy-Rechargeable-Batteries-4-Pack/dp/B000PHMN44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274525756&sr=1-2
2 - http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2WAW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274525756&sr=1-4

The Sony seem better from the reviews, even though they're just rebranded Sanyo's. What are you guys running?

THANKS!! :)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best AA batteries out at the moment (R-09)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »
It's possible that the Sony's are even better, but the Sanyo's are GREAT and have been frequently discussed favorably here. I don't remember anyone talking about using the Sony's, but maybe this will bring them out of the woodwork.

I love the eneloops. I've had some of mine for 2 years or so and haven't shown any signs of losing capacity unlike the regular NiMH's I used to use. They last plenty long enough for my purposes and it's great to be able to use them 2-4 weeks after charging them without having to recharge.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:47:06 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
A second vote for the Sanyos. By far the best rechargeable batteries I've ever used.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
Don't forget the importance of a good charger. That seems to be the important, and expensive, part.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
Don't forget the importance of a good charger. That seems to be the important, and expensive, part.

Good point. Probably my use of the highly regarded LaCrosse BC-900 charger has more than a little to do with how well my eneloops have performed.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »

Good point. Probably my use of the highly regarded LaCrosse BC-900 charger has more than a little to do with how well my eneloops have performed.
I've got the same charger.  I love the enerloops too, but it is fun for "geeks like us" to have a cool charger too.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »

I've got the same charger.  I love the enerloops too, but it is fun for "geeks like us" to have a cool charger too.

Richard

^

I'm using the Sanyo rechargeables with the Maha charger below.

MAHA MH-C801D AA - AAA BATTERY CHARGER
DELUXE 8 CELL PROFESSIONAL BATTERY CHARGER W/ FULL LCD DISPLAY

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-mhc801d-aa-aaa-battery-chargerbrdeluxe-8-cell-professional-battery-charger-w-full-lcd-displaybrbrfree-accessory-bag-2-free-eight-cell-battery-holdersbrspecial-price-6897-p-437.html?SP_id=&osCsid=c5u4raer5dscg60lksb51re4r0

Eight Independent Charging Circuits
Charges any combination of 1 to 8 rechargeable batteries. Mix and charge AA / AAA rechargeable batteries all at the same time
The MHC801D will also charge the new Low Discharge rechargeable batteries from all manufacturers with absolute precision and safety.
Normal Charge time of about 1 hr regardless of the number of AA or AAA batteries with the Maha MH-C801D charger.
Soft charge mode recharges in about 2hrs regardless of the number of AA or AAA batteries.

LCD Display
Displays charging and conditioning status of each battery independently. English Display showing “CONDITION”, “CHARGE”, and “DONE”.

Built-In Deep Battery Conditioning System
Cycle charges, discharges, and then recharges rechargeable batteries without requiring several repeat cycles.
Restores rechargeable batteries to their optimal performance level. Reduces any memory effect.

Selectable Soft and Rapid Charge Modes
Soft charge option for highest battery life, or choose the Rapid charge option for the shortest charge time.

Ultra Precision Microprocessor Controlled
0.001V voltage detection.
Recharges your batteries correctly each and every time. No over charge, no under charge. Just the right charge each and every time.
Maximum Battery Life

Heavy Duty International AC Adapter
Universal auto-ranging switching adapter assures Worldwide voltage compatibility.
Made to last in rough environments, and uses a rugged DIN style connector.
Great for home or travel.

Integrated Safety Protection Device
Battery Polarity Reversal Protection - Prevents Charger damage and operation in case a battery is inserted into the MH-C801D backwards.
Alkaline battery Protection - Automatically recognizes an Alkaline battery and Prevents Charger operation and damage.
Short circuited Battery Protection
Globally certified for safety.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
It sounded like the Eneloops were a good choice...that's what we bought my brother for his digicam just based on Amazon ratings and he's been happy.

I have a Sony battery charger, the one that came with my DSC-H1. I doubt there's that much room for damaging them by using that for a while ya think?

(Anyone going to Voxtrot on the 27th?)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
Kirklands.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 09:21:24 PM »
$70 for a charger is approximately 25% of the cost of an m10... that seems like too much profit.  Where's the green love when we don't even have good cheap battery chargers yet?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 11:30:12 PM »
Consumer Reports said Kirkland (Costco) alkalines were the best alkilines.  It might be worth a cruise by the library to see what the results of CR tests indicate.  One test is worth a thousand opinions.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
Consumer Reports said Kirkland (Costco) alkalines were the best alkilines.  It might be worth a cruise by the library to see what the results of CR tests indicate.  One test is worth a thousand opinions.
We use them at the theatre I run sound for and they are truly great batteries for the price.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »
$70 for a charger is approximately 25% of the cost of an m10... that seems like too much profit.  Where's the green love when we don't even have good cheap battery chargers yet?

It depends what you want out of a charger. Among other things, the LaCrosse BC-900 and those of it's ilk will often bring batteries back to life that have lost a lot of capacity and you can use it to see if your 2700 mA battery is providing anywhere near that or just 2100 mA, etc. You can also use it to pair your batteries with similar capacities to get longer runs times (if you are using multiple batteries in a device, they will normally only power the device until the one with the lowest capacity is expended).

For me and many others this charger is well worth the money.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:37:49 PM by fmaderjr »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »

It depends what you want out of a charger. Among other things, the LaCrosse BC-9100 and those of it's ilk will often bring batteries back to life that have lost a lot of capacity and you can use it to see if your 2700 mA battery is providing anywhere near that or just 2100 mA, etc. You can also use it to pair your batteries with similar capacities to get longer runs times (if you are using multiple batteries in a device, they will normally only power the device until the one with the lowest capacity is expended).

For me and many others this charger is well worth the money.
^
Agreed.  You said it beter than I would have.  My thanks to Jason Sobel for recommending the Maha charger to me.  +T

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
what are the best 9 volts out there in everyone's opinion? both single-use and/or rechargeable?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com