Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apple iPod questions  (Read 3510 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Apple iPod questions
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:52:50 PM »
I am really considering getting one of these for my upcoming trip.  I have a few questions.  They would all pertain to the latest version of this device, but any feedback is really appreciated.

1.)  The Apple web site says that the battery is fully recharged after 3 hours and is 80% recharged after an hour.  Is this true in your experience?

2.)  Is it water-resistant or can you buy a carrying case to make it so?  I run a lot and always work up quite a sweat.  Can the unit or a case handle it?  Does anybody make an armband case?

3.)  I see that the latest version can handle both Mac and PC format.  Do I have to reformat the device depending on which platform I wish to use or can I go between both?

4.)  Can I use this as an external hard drive?  Will it show up as a letter drive in my directory?

5.)  Can I record to it using a pair of CSBs?  Even to mp3 or AIFF format would be nice.

Just wondering.  I visited the Apple store in the mall yesterday and they were pretty much clueless about these issues.  Any help is really appreciated!!!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Apple iPod questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 07:04:42 PM »
1.)  The Apple web site says that the battery is fully recharged after 3 hours and is 80% recharged after an hour.  Is this true in your experience?

Time is about right in my experience...actually when I run mine all the way down, it is fully charged in aroudn 3.5 hours...

2.)  Is it water-resistant or can you buy a carrying case to make it so?  I run a lot and always work up quite a sweat.  Can the unit or a case handle it?  Does anybody make an armband case?

I have a marware sportsuite convertible case for mine, comes with an armband and has a solid case around it.  I used my ipod quite a bit last summer working in the yard, and while the back of the marware case would get wet from sweat, I never experienced any problems.  I dont believe though that they make any guarantees toward water resistance.  

3.)  I see that the latest version can handle both Mac and PC format.  Do I have to reformat the device depending on which platform I wish to use or can I go between both?

Dont know about going back and forth, but I am pretty sure it does not matter.  I use the windows XPLAY application, I drag files on there, set up playlists etc.  

4.)  Can I use this as an external hard drive?  Will it show up as a letter drive in my directory?

Yes

5.)  Can I record to it using a pair of CSBs?  Even to mp3 or AIFF format would be nice.

Unforunately there is no way to record to it yet.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 07:05:02 PM »
1. yes
2. should be ok. (don't drop it in water, but sweat is fine.  a friend dropped hers while skiing and it still worked after we found it sitting in the snow)
3. formatting doesn't matter, unless you want to use it as an external hard drive.  in that case, you probably want it to be pc formatted if you're using a winblows machine
4. see #3
5. nope
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 07:06:03 PM by scott brown »

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 10:21:08 PM »

2. should be ok. (don't drop it in water, but sweat is fine.  a friend dropped hers while skiing and it still worked after we found it sitting in the snow)

I can't imagine a worse place to lose an ipod than *in the snow*.

+T to you Scott for being able to find it...
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 11:25:51 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!  Great input!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 01:41:05 AM »
btw, the hard drive is REALLY quiet.  among the quietest ive ever heard.  Even when it spins up its pretty quiet.  The size is killer too.  I love being able to dump a protools session on it and go onto campus and work there :-)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 05:18:32 AM »
a friend of mine showed me this link...so i decided against the ipod personally.   http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 07:18:37 AM »
that's all BS...they've blatantly left out information that proves that they're full of shit too

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 07:20:12 AM by scott brown »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 07:35:56 AM »
ahh, well see, i never saw that.  personally i'm happy with my nomad.  i hardly ever use those types of things for playback anyway, i just stick with cds...guess i'm the old fashioned type.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 08:44:05 AM »
cant beat having 10-40 gigs of music in my car at any time...

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 12:43:27 PM »
I've heard some good things about the Rio Karma as well.  Plays flac files, the docking station has ethernet and RCA outputs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 8.773 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com