Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Storage/Transport recommendations needed  (Read 3428 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Storage/Transport recommendations needed
« on: July 05, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
I'm quickly approaching the point where I will need a dedicated storage device with a hard drive that isn't a laptop/PC and can pump out either an optical or spdif signal to a DAC.

The olive hd4 is too pricy (but does what I want) and I gather to use an hdd with the squeezebox line, I'd have to do it via usb and that eats another power outlet which I don't have. Any recommendations?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Storage/Transport recommendations needed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
Regarding the Squeezebox, it is a newtorked device so your music source doesn't need to be next to your squeezebox, it can be in another room, or state if you're clever.

I run a Thecus N5200 NAS that I've loaded the bulk of my collection on, that sits in one room, and my Squeezbox is in my living room wirelessly networked back and pulls the music from my N5200.  It's not a very difficult setup, but depending on your budget might not be the cheapest solution.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
Regarding the Squeezebox, it is a newtorked device so your music source doesn't need to be next to your squeezebox, it can be in another room, or state if you're clever.

I run a Thecus N5200 NAS that I've loaded the bulk of my collection on, that sits in one room, and my Squeezbox is in my living room wirelessly networked back and pulls the music from my N5200.  It's not a very difficult setup, but depending on your budget might not be the cheapest solution.

Fair. I'd do better to wire mine though. I've got too much wireless stuff where I live to get a great signal anymore.

Regarding the SBox, will it provide USB power off of the unit or does it purely initiate the connection to read off of the drive? Last night my better half brought home a 500gb usb drive that is a little bigger then a laptop drive and doesn't use external power. So it will require power off of the host.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
I'm quickly approaching the point where I will need a dedicated storage device with a hard drive that isn't a laptop/PC and can pump out either an optical or spdif signal to a DAC.

The olive hd4 is too pricy (but does what I want) and I gather to use an hdd with the squeezebox line, I'd have to do it via usb and that eats another power outlet which I don't have. Any recommendations?

When you say "isn't a laptop or PC" ??

your cheapest most cost effective solution would be to pick up an atom or similarly based micro atx etc type mobo with spidf/ HDMI / optical etc on board. just throw a huge HDD or multiples in it and go. The mobo chip ram combo will run you like $100. if you have an LCD or newer tv you can connect direct to the tv with the hdmi out and give yourself the added benefit of internet content and music etc. If you don't want it to look like a PC or whatever you can plunk down a few extra bucks for a killer case from the likes of silverstone or similar. the tiny size and built in power supplies of the atx / itx mobos should really keep the noise and temps down.

if that doessn't work out for you the squeezebox solution might as you will not need the pc at the dac but you will need the server on when u want to listen to your collection

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

When you say "isn't a laptop or PC" ??

your cheapest most cost effective solution would be to pick up an atom or similarly based micro atx etc type mobo with spidf/ HDMI / optical etc on board. just throw a huge HDD or multiples in it and go. The mobo chip ram combo will run you like $100. if you have an LCD or newer tv you can connect direct to the tv with the hdmi out and give yourself the added benefit of internet content and music etc. If you don't want it to look like a PC or whatever you can plunk down a few extra bucks for a killer case from the likes of silverstone or similar. the tiny size and built in power supplies of the atx / itx mobos should really keep the noise and temps down.

if that doessn't work out for you the squeezebox solution might as you will not need the pc at the dac but you will need the server on when u want to listen to your collection

I'd have to get a touchscreen display. Essentially, this is to be keyboard/mouseless.

In that regard, a cheap NAS and the squeezebox would work, especially if I can find a router/NAS combo that doesn't eat two power outlets. I found the DLink one last night that is like this, but it didn't have good reviews... (Our old router's wifi is on the fritz and I'm tired of fiddling with it to keep it hobbling along).

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:51:35 PM »
There is an officially supported nas, I want to say it's the buffalo lonkstation Or the readynas.  You might want to explore those options.  I wouldn't suggest lumping your wireless and nas requirements together as they're very different functions with different market leaders.  I would try not to limit yourself to a single outlet or perhaps invest some effort into getting your existing wireless working correctly.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
There is an officially supported nas, I want to say it's the buffalo lonkstation Or the readynas.  You might want to explore those options.  I wouldn't suggest lumping your wireless and nas requirements together as they're very different functions with different market leaders.  I would try not to limit yourself to a single outlet or perhaps invest some effort into getting your existing wireless working correctly.

existing wireless is 802.11b only, no nas abilities. So if I were to pursue this route, I'd have to ditch that anyway.

I suspect I'll have to go separate routes for the reasons you listed, but that means moving stuff outside of the office as there are no outlets left, and I've just about maxed out the power strips one can safely put in a room...  :-\

Thanks for the brand recs, I'll look into it tomorrow.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »
Squeezebox is really good...  Their discussion mailing list has a lot of info on different ways you can do it.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
I am thinking of going and grabbing a MACMini and then running Boxee or XDMC on it.   You can get iphone apps that control both remotely - thus you don't need a keyboard or mouse all the time.

Macmini has both HDMI and optical out and only consumes 13W in idle.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com