Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Parallel compression, my new love & best friend  (Read 66807 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re: Parallel compression, my new love & best friend
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
I was using this technique on a show this morning and got a noticeable amount of PA hiss between songs. Any idea what I should do differently to avoid making that so prominent?

Anyone?  :P

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
I was using this technique on a show this morning and got a noticeable amount of PA hiss between songs. Any idea what I should do differently to avoid making that so prominent?

Hmm, if I were going to do it, I'd do the following:

Make your heavy compressed pair and then before mixing it, do a low-pass filter up in the region of >8khz or so (depending on where the hiss is). If the hiss looks like a spike in a certain band, you could do a massive EQ cut in that band on the compressed pair, but other then that, it's a just knocking out that upper region on the compressed pair to taste.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

Make your heavy compressed pair and then before mixing it, do a low-pass filter up in the region of >8khz or so (depending on where the hiss is). If the hiss looks like a spike in a certain band, you could do a massive EQ cut in that band on the compressed pair, but other then that, it's a just knocking out that upper region on the compressed pair to taste.
That makes sense, I'll try it on the next one. Thanks.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »

That makes sense, I'll try it on the next one. Thanks.

oh, almost forgot, go for reduction, not annihilation in your compressed pair (unless it's a very tight band of hiss, then have at). Just enough to push it back to distant micro-detail is all.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »

Upwards or parallel compression is going to pull up and enhance lower dynamic details and if they are saturated in hiss unfortunately that gets brought up as well.  The first line of compromise is probably fiddling with how much compressed signal you mix in with the uncompressed signal, and how hard you compress it.  Try backing off a bit until the hiss is acceptable (acknowledging that once you start listening for his, it will be obvious, so leaving a bit more is often is OK).   If you can't reduce the his enough that way without loosing the compression goodness as well, then try EQ'ing the compressed signal to reduce the his.  I tend to dislike the sonic heavy hand of HPF or LPF filters and prefer to craft my own curves with peaking and shelving filters.  I like EQ'ing the compressed signal pretty heavily anyway, so I'd shoot for targeting the hissy sounding band with a peaking filter.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
A parallel thought....I guess I do the same thing somewhere else.  I send my PC analog out to my audio rack, and the first thing it goes through (besides a Behringer HD400 2-Channel Hum Destroyer to break the ground loop) is a BBE Sonic Maximizer......

I see there is a VST plug-in for that, too...........M U S T   M O D E R A T E   :bigsmile:

you seriously need a DAC.  :o

please don't over use that BBE box.  I've used the plug in and the thing sounds pretty terrible.  Are you bussing the output back into your DAW or just using the BBE box for monitoring?

Reminds me of a story:   I let someone patch off me with his DAP-1 during Langerado 2006.  My JB3's hard drive went south shortly after the weekend, losing most of the material recorded at the festival.  Fortunately, I had this guy's contact info, who promised to upload everything to LMA that he could, and bittorrent the rest.  Turns out, he ran all his DAT transfers through a TC Finalizer box, applying some extreme limiting and compression to recordings before sending them to his computer.  Some really bad "pumping" style compression.  Exhausting to listen to.  I felt bad about emailing him asking for the clean masters... but his post production totally sucked!  I don't think he ever came through with the DAT tapes of that weekend.  :(
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Just using the BBE in my analog rack that I listen to everything with......BBE, parametric EQ, graphic EQ, Carver sonic holography unit, Carver receiver and amp, Klipsch Heresy's.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
..Carver sonic holography unit..

OT, but tell me more about your experience with that part in your playback chain, Kevin.  Do you need to stay glued to the sweet spot?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »
..Carver sonic holography unit..

OT, but tell me more about your experience with that part in your playback chain, Kevin.  Do you need to stay glued to the sweet spot?

To hear the effect, that's the best place to experience it with the C-9.  That Bob Carver was onto something.....or ON something  :P
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »
I have one of those that has been laying idle for years and just recently thought about seeing if it would be useful now.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
Time to bring this to the top
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2012, 11:30:10 AM »
So... has anyone considered doing parallel smear/coloration in addition to parallel compression? e.g:

tracks 1/2: no adjustment
tracks 3/4: parallel comp -> coloration/saturation

So for stuff that's really dynamic you would be smearing the low level stuff and then when someone takes a solo or surges they would pop out into a clear window. Conversely, for far field recordings, you're crowd noise between songs would smear but the band wouldn't.

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
Please explain "parallel smear/coloration". You talking EQ?
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »
Please explain "parallel smear/coloration". You talking EQ?

transformer modeling, old neve console modeling, tube saturation.

All of these can induce a variety of coloration, harmonics, and soundstage smear (where you have more trouble getting a pinpoint vision on stage of where an instrument sits in space). For example, the sonosax induces smear (among other things) on the soundstage, it also widens it, but it smears it so you have more trouble pinpointing in a razor sharp way where an instrument is. If a trumpeter is at 10:30 in your mix, with the sax or other gear that induces soundstage smear, you might say they were somewhere between 10 and 11. You know it's forward and left, but you couldn't close your eyes and pinpoint exactly where they are. That in trade can create euphoria so sometimes it's wanted. One instance where smear didn't bother me as much was in PA taping (what is your soundstage; it's 2 stacks and a bunch of drunks. I don't necessarily need to know it's 2 stacks that are 30 degrees in front of me). One place where it irked me was taping stuff on stage. If you like that razor clear soundstage, smear is evil. If you want euphoria in your soundstage, then it's a valid trade.

So take that concept and now think about running a parallel comp and then using something to smear or color that set of tracks and mix it back in with the non-colored/compressed. The theory** being that stuff would pop out when they surge or solo and would smear when they don't. Another example would be if the band was quiet and the drummer did a sharp cymbal crack. You would hear the crack off of the non-comp/color track and then hear your coloration on the decay.

** This is a theory because different plugins have an inherent delay in rendering than others do. For example, the Softube FET compressor delays it's output from the plug by 44 samples, so I can't just mix that back in with the original signal (because it sounds like ass, I tried), I have to delay the unprocessed signal by 44 samples and then mix. The URS Saturation plug doesn't seem to. I measured by creating a single sample spike in an otherwise silent 2ch wav, processing one channel and counting sample differences afterwards. The theory part is did you measure it accurately. The more accurate the measurement (even down to half samples or quarter samples if your DAW will handle that) the better the result.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The basic thing to consider is which range you want a particular effect to act upon.  Anything which you would like to act primarily on the quieter, lower level sections would be best done in the parallel compression chain, whereas a effect or flavor you want to target primarily at the higher level, loud sections would be best applied to the non-parallel chain.

Some DAWs automatically apply sample delay compensation for whatever plugins you use, which means you don't need to think about the delays the processing causes.  I know Samplitude does this.  If the DAW you are using does not do that automatically, there are other plugings which can do the compensation by delaying everything else to match.  I think Voxengo has a free VST dedicated to offsetting the delay compensation of other plugins, but I'd have have to check.  Im sure there are others as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com