Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New toys!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 10405 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
New toys!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:57:55 PM »
Well everything is done for this week, I am still waiting for my Audible Illusions L2 pre amp.

I recently bought a pair of Von Schweikert VR4jr's, they are the only pair in existence at the moment. I was able to purchase the demo pair from VSA through my dealer, the rest of the run won't be shipped until at least 3/31 at the earliest. Anyway, the speakers are incredible, a pair of 7" bass drivers on each bass module with a monitor on top that has another 7" midrange driver, front tweeter & rear tweeter. These puppies kick so much ass it's scary, I am so impressed with the dynamics. A very nice speaker that I would highly recommend. Right now their is a pride of ownership from owning the only pair that is unmatched. VSA has been an excellent company to deal with & I can't say enough good about them. Check them out if your in the market for some speakers.

I also just added a BAT VK-60 tube amp in the system. This is my first tube amp, 12 tubes & 95lbs of hulking weight. The sound is fluid with a musical flow that has not been heard in this room at any time. I replaced my Mc Cormack DNA-1 with it & while I can say the BAT blows it away in overall sound quality it is lacking ever so slightly in the bass department. This could be due to tubes or only have 60 wpc, I would say it is the lack of pure wattage over the tubes. I think when I do upgrade to a pair on mono-block VK-60's making them 120 wpc each I won't be shy in the bass department. Is all this worth the 3x more asking price of the BAT vs. the DNA-1?? Probably not, the DNA is 90% of the BAT & can be found used for cheap money.

I am running everything with my Benchmark DAC & Parasound CBD transport. I use the Benchmark as a passive pre & it has been working out well. I think it will hang tough with the new Pre-Amp but we won't know until next week at the earliest, stay tuned!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

Re:New toys!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:03:22 PM »
here are some pics!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 09:04:21 PM »
more

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:05:15 PM »
from the drivers seat

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 09:10:33 PM »
PS- for any & all audio needs I would highly recommend Jonathan at Chambers Audio, he has done the world for Nick & I. He is the best dealer I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. If you need anything for your home system drop him a line. He has called us on his dime numerous times, placed us on three way calls for advice. His service can not be topped anywhere for any price. He is truly one of the best, he will end the audio merry go round for you with honest advice & fair prices.
carl
http://www.chambersaudio.com/index.html

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 10:05:17 PM »
Is that the "dark cherry" finish on the VR4jrs? My VR-1s have that finish and it's gorgeous. Hmm ... the 4jrs look like a nice upgrade for some years down the road when I have a house and can move the VR-1s to rears or a second system. I really like the size of the 4jrs. How do they compare directly to the 4s? (or 4 MKII?)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 10:13:40 PM »
I really have no clue but Kevin @ VSA said the 4's are better in the extremes, i.e. extreme highs & lows they better the JR's. I can't imagine that! If I had the room I would go for the 4's in a heartbeat then. The only problem with the 4's is that they are butt ugly.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:26:10 PM »
looking good Carl! sounds like you two have found a great dealer up there...

how do you like the rear firing tweeter?

have you had much experience with tubes?

I see you're selling the dpa's.. just looking for a different sound or trying to better match the playback with the taping rig? That's been one of the most interesting aspects of developing my playback system, trying to mix and match my rig to suit it.

keep the info and picks coming, I'm learning a lot from you and Nick (and everyone else in this forum!).
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 02:42:39 AM »
so cool... i'm just "starting," i guess, picking up some b&w dm302s on ebay and a denon receiver from mattd. should be up and running in a few weeks. someday, i hope to have a system that can kick my ass... but i hope i'm more decisive than carl or nick! ;D
armen

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 05:08:23 AM »
Trevor, actually our dealer is on the other side of the country for us but he ships quick & get's the job done since the local boy's can't. This is my first tube power amp, I had a tube pre before this but it is my first "real" tube set-up. Funny thing is that 2 months ago I was leaving tubes entirely & had none in my system! The rear firing tweeter is real nice, it is completely adjustable from off to 10. With it on you can hear a slightly deeper soundstage from the listening position & the speakers seem a little brighter vs. ruler flat. Part of the reason I'm looking to try different mic's is exactly what you said, my system (especially when it was solid state) is rather revealing of recording flaws. The DPA's I noticed have cymbals that sound fake, little splashes of static with no air or sizzle about them. I find this to be an annoying trait & don't know if I can live with.
Armen, the fun in building your home rig is trying everything you can. Either buy & sell alot of stuff used on Audiogon or find a great dealer that let's you demo at little to no cost. Or like Nick & I, do both to the extreme :)

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 07:48:51 AM »
decisive is for pussies!

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 09:48:13 AM »
Those speakers are georgeous!  Only problem I see are those damn MIT terminator 2 cables..  I bought a used pair of those before and they were out the door the next day..  They sucked every bit of life out of my system.  
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 10:05:04 AM »
Off-topic: Whose flag is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline JeffK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 12:16:36 PM »
I also just added a BAT VK-60 tube amp in the system. This is my first tube amp, 12 tubes & 95lbs of hulking weight. The sound is fluid with a musical flow that has not been heard in this room at any time. I replaced my Mc Cormack DNA-1 with it & while I can say the BAT blows it away in overall sound quality it is lacking ever so slightly in the bass department. This could be due to tubes or only have 60 wpc, I would say it is the lack of pure wattage over the tubes. I think when I do upgrade to a pair on mono-block VK-60's making them 120 wpc each I won't be shy in the bass department. Is all this worth the 3x more asking price of the BAT vs. the DNA-1?? Probably not, the DNA is 90% of the BAT & can be found used for cheap money.

Carl, do you still have the DNA-1?  if so, maybe try biamping the speakers and using the DNA-1 for the lows in the cabinets.  A friend of mine has the VS 4's, iirc, and he biamps using SS for the lows and tubes for the mids/highs and just loves it.  I've never heard the system, since it's across the country, but he loves it :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 04:26:28 PM »
damn...I bet that sounds good

I'm likely going to be upgrading to the VR4's myself sometime soon.  While i love the VR2s, a great overall speaker
they just can't charge up the room w/bass energy the way i want.  

So Lee...you say the MIT's suck?  i run the TERM 3's, and think them a capable cable, but I've not heard anything else.  Hmmm.....
Of all the things I dont like spending money on, cables top the list.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com