Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommend me some nearfield monitors  (Read 5122 times)

Offline nangillala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recommend me some nearfield monitors
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
Hi,
currently I'm looking to get a pair of decent nearfield monitors.
A bandmate owns the KRK Rockit RP5 G2 (5" woofers) and I think they sound pretty good. I like the stereo image and the control over the mids, which is ok. What I don't like is the missing bass.

I would like to avoid buying a subwoofer, but thought about getting bigger speakers. So here are a few options I was thinking about:

- KRK Rockit RP8 G2: These should present what I liked about the speakers of my friend, but with a deeper bass, right? (229€)
- Yamaha HS80M: Never heard them in person but read good review (239€)
- Adam A7: Heard them some years ago and was really blown away. But the friend who owns them thinks about buying a sub now, too... (375€)
- KS digital C5 tiny: These are 5" woofers again, but I read a review in a magazine, that these produce enough bass for the nearfield category and they where compared to other monitors in that price range (525€)

I don't want a sub because of the space it takes, but if that's the only way to go I may consider it.

I will be working nearfield only and don't need a lot of volume. From time to time I want to listen to music with these (so not just mixing).

My room isn't acoustically treated in any way but sounds really ok and has no annoying frequencies going on.

Maybe someone of you has got some experience or tips. You can always suggest other monitors, this was just my pre-selection based on reviews or personal knowledge (as described above).

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Recommend me some nearfield monitors
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
You know, it's been a long time since I've heard them but way back in the day I had a friend with a set of Alesis Monitor Ones that were awesome in his dorm room. Plenty of bass out of a small speaker.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline nangillala

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
Hi Anodyne,
thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention, that I'm looking for active monitors.
I can find some other Alesis Monitors, but they seem to have a lot of gadgets in 'em (like USB audio interfaces or ipod docks) and I just want monitors ;) (while I looooove gadgets ;) )

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »
if you are willing to spend $200-400 per speaker, you should set aside some money to acoustically treat your room as well. maybe you were planning on doing that. ;)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline nangillala

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »
Hi rastasean,
actually the sound in my current room is ok. Sure, it's not optimal, but I can't see any problems. That may come with the new monitors and I think I'd be willing to spend some money on room treatment then, yes. The problem is, that I may move at the end of the year and have no idea what the new room will sound like. But because all that isn't carved in stone yet I thought I better start off with a pair of good speakers.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
I have some HS50M's which is in the same family.

I would say the HS80M's would be great for your purpose and they go as low as 42 Hz. That's comparable to my older EV MS-802's (unpowered monitors) and I don't really need a subwoofer with them. Still I use one anyway. If there's some ultra low bass on the recording I want to know about it.

The subwoofer would be nice but if you can't accomodate one in your available space I think the HS80M's should do nicely.  I don't know if you even considered HS50M's but you would definitely need a subwoofer with them.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
Ive been mixing/listening on the Alesis M1 active 620's for a couple years now.  I picked up a refurbished pair for $180 off ebay.   I find them to be very accurate and very realistic. The 520's are a bit smaller if you have a smaller desk.  However they do not produce the mids or bottom end nearly as realistically as the 620's IMO.   If you can afford it and have the space go with the 620's they are worth the extra $ IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-M1-Active-520-Pair-Active-Studio-Monitors-NEW-/200509349089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline nangillala

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:25 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions.
The Alesis 620 would fit my budget nicely. They cost about 300€ here in Germany. The Yamahas (HS80M) for example cost around 500€.
I read some reviews about the Yamahas and the bass frequencies seem to fit the taste of some people, but others really dislike it. I think I have to try some out ;)

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
i think a lot of people here would be interested in the microlab monitors.

they are chinese built... BUT it was in collaboration with an ex dynaudio designer. they aren't popular or readily available in the states, but more so in canada or europe. i think i have the 6.5 inch woofer model. they are powered well and sound great to my ears especially for silly low cost.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:33:32 AM »
i think a lot of people here would be interested in the microlab monitors.

they are chinese built... BUT it was in collaboration with an ex dynaudio designer. they aren't popular or readily available in the states, but more so in canada or europe. i think i have the 6.5 inch woofer model. they are powered well and sound great to my ears especially for silly low cost.

These look interesting. Any links to where they can be purchased online? Canada preferred if US isn't available.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 05:16:53 AM »
would you rule out Genelec 1029As...?

I don't think you can go past them... (personally)
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 06:46:28 AM »
sorry no idea where to buy them. here is a review of the solo 6...

http://www.modsynergy.com/review175.html

i only found this one review before i bought mine, but it turned out to be a good purchase. they warmed up A LOT after burn in.

perhaps scour canadian ebay or they might pop up on u.s. ebay.

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
Hi there.

About room treatment: Bass traps and absorption/diffusion pannels can be moved around easily, moved to your new location if you move etc. 

I wouldn't rule out room treatment - what you think may be nothing too bad, may just be "I'm totally used to how this room sounds".  i.e. you've adapted over time.

FFT analysis software is free - rent a good flat reference mic and try some test tone sweeps or whatever from your primary listening position. you may be hshocked at the results.

Sorry, I don't have active monitor recommendations though. I'm looking for passives, and without much low frequency extension. I'd rather have something unported that stays accurate to 60-70 HZ, then something that extends much further down, but looses focus.

I'm considering Acoustic Energy AE22's, but can't for the life of me find a Canadian dealer. The only one listed on AE's site isn't getting back to me.
By the way, AE make an active version of the AE22 that also includes some switchable EQ.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/acousticenergyae22.htm
for a review and some on the design philosophy.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com