Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adobe Audition 3  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Adobe Audition 3
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
Anyone use this? I'm looking for some simple audio s/w that will edit more than just two tracks. I've used Sound Forge Studio Audio for two tracks but it won't handle more than that. Is it worth $99?

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Adobe Audition 3
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
I love Audition 3, but there is some kind of bug that causes it to freeze up when previewing certain effects within the single-track editing mode on certain computers (including all of mine). I think this was fixed in the 3.1 patch release, but I can't confirm it with the copy I have. I think it happens when I preview certain effects and then press cancel instead of applying it, the app just freezes up.

I don't have a legitimate copy, but if I had a computer that I knew would work with it I would buy a copy. Fortunately the bug doesn't cause problems when working in the multi-track mode and applying effects to different tracks on the fly, and this also allows me to easily archive my original master file along with the multitrack session that contains all of the EQ, compression, etc. non-destructively and ready to tinker with later if I want to. Get a trial version and make sure it works on your machine. If it does it's definitely worth the money.

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
^ ^ ^

Sounds like a plan, I'll get that trial version and play with it tonight. Thanks faninor!

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »
I am pretty sure the $99 versions are the early(earliest?) version.  Then if you want the update it is additional money.  If you look around you can get the updated version for less than the cost of the two(early & update) But I think it you'll end up around $250.  Still even so I like AA better than other programs.  I think it will really depend on your preferences.  some folks like the work flow in other programs like Wave Lab or Samplitude for example.   

If you already have Soundforge have you thought about updating to a newer version?  SF 9.0 build "e" will do multiple tracks and can handle files over 2 GB. 

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »
Are there any advantages to Audition over Cool Edit Pro 2?  I've been a CEP2 user for years -- it's the only program I know.  However, I just upgraded to Win7 x64 and am contemplating whether I should keep running CEP2 in XP Mode or upgrade to Audition.  I'd like to know if there are any handy tools in Audition (especially re: multitrack/matrix processing) that CEP2 doesn't provide.  Most importantly, is the interface largely unchanged from CEP2?  I don't want to take the time to learn a whole new "program".
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »
Audition definitely has an advantage over CEP: VST plugins.  I'm a former CEP user, and was very happy with the upgrade to Audition.  Improved GUI to say the least.

That said, I'm not sure if Audition 3.0 can run on W7 64 bit.  It does on W7 32 bit.  Hopefully, someone can chime in, who uses it with 64.  If no one, then I'd wait for Audition 4.0, which I'm guessing, is gonna debut next spring/early summer.  That should have 64 bit capabilities.

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »
Audition definitely has an advantage over CEP: VST plugins.  I'm a former CEP user, and was very happy with the upgrade to Audition.  Improved GUI to say the least.

That said, I'm not sure if Audition 3.0 can run on W7 64 bit.  It does on W7 32 bit.  Hopefully, someone can chime in, who uses it with 64.  If no one, then I'd wait for Audition 4.0, which I'm guessing, is gonna debut next spring/early summer.  That should have 64 bit capabilities.

It runs on Windows 7 64 bit, but I have a strange issue it eventually eats up all available memory when editing 24bit files.

Offline DLay

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it has to be loud to be good, it isn't
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »

"Windows 7 (certified support for 32-bit editions and 64-bitcompatible)"

Some im taking from this that some people use AA3 on Windows 7 64 bit no problem and others have reported issues. The thing is...AA3 was written for 32 bit machines so I dont think theres any clear advantage to using AA3 on a 64bit machine. Better off waiting for AA4.

Also, for those who are interested. Heres the beta version for Mac. its for intel based only, no PPC.http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/
Beyerdynamic MC930 > Sound Devices 702t

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »
In the FAQ for the Mac beta forum:

"Are you still developing Audition for Windows?"

Yes. While this public beta of Audition is for the Mac, we will ship on both Mac and Windows. Adobe strives to deliver the same feature set across platforms."

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/?tabID=details#tabTop

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »
I love Audition 3, but there is some kind of bug that causes it to freeze up when previewing certain effects within the single-track editing mode on certain computers (including all of mine). I think this was fixed in the 3.1 patch release, but I can't confirm it with the copy I have. I think it happens when I preview certain effects and then press cancel instead of applying it, the app just freezes up.

I don't have a legitimate copy, but if I had a computer that I knew would work with it I would buy a copy. Fortunately the bug doesn't cause problems when working in the multi-track mode and applying effects to different tracks on the fly, and this also allows me to easily archive my original master file along with the multitrack session that contains all of the EQ, compression, etc. non-destructively and ready to tinker with later if I want to. Get a trial version and make sure it works on your machine. If it does it's definitely worth the money.

I would submit that your bug is likely due to the fact that it is a hacked copy.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:19:59 AM »
I would submit that your bug is likely due to the fact that it is a hacked copy.

This bug has also been documented on legitimate copies of Audition 3.  Adobe is well aware of it and released the 3.1 patch that's supposed to address it, among other issues.  Works on some computers/systems and not others; pretty lame.

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »

"Windows 7 (certified support for 32-bit editions and 64-bitcompatible)"

Some im taking from this that some people use AA3 on Windows 7 64 bit no problem and others have reported issues. The thing is...AA3 was written for 32 bit machines so I dont think theres any clear advantage to using AA3 on a 64bit machine. Better off waiting for AA4.

Also, for those who are interested. Heres the beta version for Mac. its for intel based only, no PPC.http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/

I believe that just means it will run as a 32-bit app on Windows 7 32 or 64 but not as a native application on the 64-bit OS.  I can run two separate copies of the program very effectively on Win7 64 with 8Gb of RAM which sometimes is useful, but I'm really looking forward to having a native 64-bit version so I can use all my installed memory in the same instance.

I was a CEP user for several years and finally upgraded when I moved to Windows 7 last year.  Audition 3 won't start up at all on 64-bit Windows unless the 3.0.1 patch is installed.  After I did that, it ran just as well under Win 64 as it had under Win 32. I love the interface but the program crashes pretty regularly on my machine in both Editor and Multitrack mode when I'm running VST plugins.  Usually it recovers successfully right where it left off.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »

It runs on Windows 7 64 bit, but I have a strange issue it eventually eats up all available memory when editing 24bit files.

What's happening is that your 'undo' buffer is filling up and using up all of the available free space on the drive that holds your 'temp' directory.  This actually is not unique to 24bit files...it's true of all versions of Audition and all files.  The reason you see it with 24bit files is because those are much larger files than 16bit files, so the undo buffer fills up alot quicker.  In order to prevent this from happening, you need lots of free hard drive space and the temp folder has to be assigned to the drive with the most space.  Alternatively, you can kill the 'undo' function, but then of course you won't be able to fix any mistakes you make.

Here's what I have to do in Version 1.0 to change the temp directory to another drive to keep this from happening...

1) First go to the drive with the most free space and create a 'Temp' folder in the root directory or verify that one already exists.

2) In Audition, go to 'Options > Settings > System'

3) Near the bottom of the window, under 'Temp Folders' navigate to or define the Temp Folder that you created above...

I'd recommend the above over killing undo.  However, if you want to disable the undo function, that's simple...

- Edit > Enable Undo/Redo > Click 'OK' when you get the 'are you sure' pop-up window.

You can always turn the undo function back on whenever you need it.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:51:30 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline ifthir

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sharin in the groove
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
I run AA3 on Windows XP Pro 64 bit. I realize it's not Windows 7 but it can absolutely run in 64 bit, and I don't even have it specifically configured to do so. Just runs under x86

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com