Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looks like DPA is making a series with removable caps  (Read 30995 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Looks like DPA is making a series with removable caps
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
4060 is most sensitive with the lowest self-noise, so is probably the one you want for environmental recording unless the environment you're recording is industrial machinery, rocket launches or motorsports with especially high SPLs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »
A bit off-topic, I know; but whilst everyone has their DPA hats on...

which from the choice of 4060, 4061 and 4062 mics, best suits an environmental recording (rather than into-a-transmitter-live-sound) type application...?

thanks

JimP

I would get the DPA 4090.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »

which from the choice of 4060, 4061 and 4062 mics, best suits an environmental recording (rather than into-a-transmitter-live-sound) type application...?

thanks

JimP

FYI- The mic element is the same, but the 4090 has a special grid (which may be permanentlly mounted) that provides a flat response.  It's a full bodied mic with XLR output, vs the 406x minis with microdot connectors (and optional XLR adaptors).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:09 PM »

thanks

JimP

FYI- The mic element is the same, but the 4090 has a special grid (which may be permanentlly mounted) that provides a flat response.  It's a full bodied mic with XLR output, vs the 406x minis with microdot connectors (and optional XLR adaptors).

I know I own one. I have used it for recording the 4007 smokes it for noise floor but its still a great mic.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »
Just trying to clairfy for good Mr. andromedawarmachine.  Chris, you were the one that measured the length of the grid on your 4090 for me as I've not used one myself.

Cheers.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »
Just trying to clairfy for good Mr. andromedawarmachine.  Chris, you were the one that measured the length of the grid on your 4090 for me as I've not used one myself.

Cheers.

I think its a great mic its funny how they shock mounted the capsule inside.. The use a regular 4060 capsule with some surgical tubing on the inside to "force" the capsule into the opening. Quite effective. I found the sound to be smooth and very quiet but the 4007 just smashes it to pieces for realism. the 4007 is so real that when you have headphones and you listen to a playback of that mic you are always looking around when you hear a noise on the recording.. a creek of a door a foot step behind you on playback sounds exactly the same. I suspect if you were talented with a lathe you could build the body quite easily. Its made from aluminum. I think DPA should sell that as a kit to owners of 4060 that want to change over to an XLR mic.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
Interesting about the surgical tubing thing.  There was a pair or 4060s that re-sold in the yard sale here last year which I understand were custom built originally for a DPA customer that asked for a 4060 which could be used like a regular mic, and became sort of a prototype for the 4090.  Each had a 4060 capsule at the end of a thin drinking straw sized tube with the XLR adaptor at the other end.  Basically a 4090 without the normal diameter tapered body.

Intersting to hear your take on the 4007.  Never seen one myself but would love to try a pair someday.. all it takes is money.  Finest sounding DPAs I've been exposed to were the high voltage supply subcards (don't know the number), transistor based and transformerless but required special DPA power supplies.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2011, 02:14:02 AM »
that is great-

thankyou all for that!!

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2011, 02:44:22 AM »
I just ordered a 4023 pair and asked the retailer if, in fact, they're being discontinued. She said DPA told her they were being changed, but not discontinued. It looks to me like they're being phased out. They are back ordered and are coming from Germany because DPA USA don't have them in stock. I hate waiting! :P

I talked to DPA and the person who takes care of my DPA's and he told me that you can still get the compact cardoid series, but they are going to be phased out. But they will still service them.  And in fact the " special order" of DPA 40xx series are coming from denmark, at least that i what i was told today.

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
I just ordered a 4023 pair and asked the retailer if, in fact, they're being discontinued. She said DPA told her they were being changed, but not discontinued. It looks to me like they're being phased out. They are back ordered and are coming from Germany because DPA USA don't have them in stock. I hate waiting! :P

I talked to DPA and the person who takes care of my DPA's and he told me that you can still get the compact cardoid series, but they are going to be phased out. But they will still service them.  And in fact the " special order" of DPA 40xx series are coming from denmark, at least that i what i was told today.
I ordered 2 new sets of 40XX DPA mics in the last couple of months and they came from DPA in Longmont co and I had one of  them in a week and other order in 2 days...

Ordered mine from sweetwave audio in louisville CO!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:26:38 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »

I ordered 2 new sets of 40XX DPA mics in the last couple of months and they came from DPA in Longmont co and I had one of  them in a week and other order in 2 days...

Ordered mine from sweetwave audio in louisville CO!

I just got my new DPA 4023 mics. a couple custom cables.  Now on to the field testing.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 12:00:46 AM »
I just got a pair of the new modulars...I think they are about a half inch longer than the CCM4s (maybe a little less; it's been a while since I had one of the Schoeps in hand).  A matched pair can be purchased from DPA in a Pelican box with wind screens and holders.  Attached are a few photos.  Unfortunately, I am traveling right now, so I haven't had a chance to try them out yet...

P.S. Apologies for the crappy iPod photos!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 12:11:24 AM »
:drool:

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »

Cheers.

I think its a great mic its funny how they shock mounted the capsule inside.. The use a regular 4060 capsule with some surgical tubing on the inside to "force" the capsule into the opening. Quite effective. I found the sound to be smooth and very quiet but the 4007 just smashes it to pieces for realism. the 4007 is so real that when you have headphones and you listen to a playback of that mic you are always looking around when you hear a noise on the recording.. a creek of a door a foot step behind you on playback sounds exactly the same. I suspect if you were talented with a lathe you could build the body quite easily. Its made from aluminum. I think DPA should sell that as a kit to owners of 4060 that want to change over to an XLR mic.

DPA 4007 is the metal (Nickel?) diaphragm, right?  Closest I've got is Nevaton and/or Countryman B3.  Both use stainless steel.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 01:59:12 AM »
I just got a pair of the new modulars...I think they are about a half inch longer than the CCM4s

They look fairly long, probably closer to an inch longer than the CCMs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com