Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Tekkeon for R-44 + SD USBpre2?  (Read 4520 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Which Tekkeon for R-44 + SD USBpre2?
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
I'm thinking about adding a Sound Devices USBpre2 to my gear chain, but as I am already somewhat averse to adding "more boxes" to my gear bag, I want to try and slim down the power solution at least.

Currently I run the -44 off of a DVD battery with one of those polarity-reversing cable solutions from Radio Shack. 

Ideally I'd like to get one Tekkeon box and run both the USBpre2 and the -44 off of that.  I know the Tekkeons aren't the cheapest solution, but if it's easiest and it's effective I'm fine with that.

Two questions:

1. Which Tekkeon do I want? I think it's the 3450, but I see there is also the 3450i.
2. Do I still use the polarity-reversing cable into the -44, or does the Tekkeon take care of that, so I just use a regular cable?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: Which Tekkeon for R-44 + SD USBpre2?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
I have the 3450 and can run my v3 and pmd661 off of it.  You will need to modify the tekkeon cable for reverse polarity.  I think you should be fine with the USB out on the tekkeon for the usbpre2, someone must have tried it already.  I think Kirk runs his with a DVD battery and a voltage regulator.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 04:25:08 PM »
And by modifying it Ted means just means rotating the way the plug connects to the cable.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Ted & Sean for the win. The usbpre2 is supposed to run off of usb power which is what the tekkeon will do. There are three differences between the I and non-I versions:

- the ability to run at more voltages w/ the I
- 8 more Wh on the I
- the operating tollerances are higher on the I

I baught the I, but I needed the extra Wh and odd voltage. Otherwise it wouldnt have been worth the upcharge. Also note the differences between R1 batteries and R2 batteries for I units. There are voltage changes for the better on the R2.

Typing on a phone sucks, but figured you might find this useful.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. 

Am I correct that if I already have a polarity-reversed cable to run the R-44 with the DVD battery, that I can use that cable with the Tekkeon? Or do I need a new one? 

If so, I guess I'll be sending Ted a PM... :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. 

Am I correct that if I already have a polarity-reversed cable to run the R-44 with the DVD battery, that I can use that cable with the Tekkeon? Or do I need a new one? 

If so, I guess I'll be sending Ted a PM... :)

In my estimate, it's rather unlikely they are compatible, but maybe. Tekkeon has a proprietary system for it's cable terminations. I've heard of users modding the cables to flip the polarity, and I've heard of users modding the plugs so they fit on backwards which would work as well (again, if I remember correctly). Tekkeon has been notified of this and I swear they will supply an inverted polarity solution but I can't remember what the cost or method was (I swear it was a new plug and stock cable, not sure though).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
Some of those answers are partially correct, others not.

No, you cannot use the RS AdaptAPlug cable you use with the DVD battery with a Tekkeon as Tekkeon has a proprietary plug which is available seperately. You might be able to use the AdaptAPlug ends or you might not. Depends on what cable you get with a Tekkeon battery. Some of the plugs on the device end of the cable (non-battery end) are keyed and will only allow the plugs to be inserted in one direction so if you want to reverse polarity you either buy a different style cable or cut the cable and reverse the wires when you patch it back together. Those keyed cables were standard with a 3400 and all the 3450 and 3750 cables I've seen have allowed the user to switch polarity by just turning the plug like your old RS cable does. If you get a second-hand Tekkeon you might run into cable problems; if you buy new you shouldn't have any problems.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »
Some of those answers are partially correct, others not.

No, you cannot use the RS AdaptAPlug cable you use with the DVD battery with a Tekkeon as Tekkeon has a proprietary plug which is available seperately. You might be able to use the AdaptAPlug ends or you might not. Depends on what cable you get with a Tekkeon battery. Some of the plugs on the device end of the cable (non-battery end) are keyed and will only allow the plugs to be inserted in one direction so if you want to reverse polarity you either buy a different style cable or cut the cable and reverse the wires when you patch it back together. Those keyed cables were standard with a 3400 and all the 3450 and 3750 cables I've seen have allowed the user to switch polarity by just turning the plug like your old RS cable does. If you get a second-hand Tekkeon you might run into cable problems; if you buy new you shouldn't have any problems.

Correct, the adaptors and cables are keyed to only work in a certain direction, but if your plugs are not keyed, then you *might* be able to use them as the cable is keyed via negative space (the ends are keyed positively, so they won't work with non-tekkeon cables I presume).

For the record, my 3450i cable/tips are keyed to only work in a certain direction, but it's the tips that are more restrictive (via positive space prevention), not the cable.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »
From Support@tekkeon.com:

Hi Sean,

To make the adapter tip center negative, all you have to do is rotate the adapter before connecting it to the cable 180 degrees. That will reverse the polarity for you.

Chris

The adaptaplugs from radio shack DO fit the tekkeon cable. In fact, the adaptaplug fits MUCH better than reversing the adapter from tekkeon, but it is POSSIBLE to reverse the adapter even though it seems like it only goes one way.

The cable you currently have, acidjack, would not work with the tekkeon since the tekkeon is completely different but, as I said earlier, the adaptaplug tip WOULD work.

I hope this can clear things up.

A word of warning when using the tekkeon: plug the cable in and select the voltage and then plug the device in. Once the device is powered by tekkeon, don't be tempted to adjust the voltage.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
I have the 3450 and can run my v3 and pmd661 off of it.  You will need to modify the tekkeon cable for reverse polarity.  I think you should be fine with the USB out on the tekkeon for the usbpre2, someone must have tried it already.  I think Kirk runs his with a DVD battery and a voltage regulator.

Go here for updated VR use with a USBPre2:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141902.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com