Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audacity question  (Read 3881 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
audacity question
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
i have a 5 channel project in audacity and i've created labels for the track markers

If I choose "Export Multiple", it seems like it'll only create stereo files.  no good

So I think I need to export each label/track marker separately to be able to save a 5 channel file. My problem is that I don't know how to easily select the audio for a label.  Is there a quick way to auto select the audio for a label?  Or do I really have to manually select audio between labels and hope I line the start and end points up correctly?

(yes, I'm new to audacity and only using it for the custom multichannel assignments)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:57:50 AM by scb »

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: audacity question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
i have a 5 channel project in audacity and i've created labels for the track markers

If I choose "Export Multiple", it seems like it'll only create stereo files.  no good

So I think I need to export each label/track marker separately to be able to save a 5 channel file. My problem is that I don't know how to easily select the audio for a label.  Is there a quick way to auto select the audio for a label?  Or do I really have to manually select audio between labels and hope I line the start and end points up correctly?

(yes, I'm new to audacity and only using it for the custom multichannel assignments)

It sounds like you want to create individual 5 channel files...rather than one big one....?

For sure - Export will mix everthing down.

What are you trying to achieve here?

"Edit > Labled Regions > Split Cut" - any help?

It sounds like you may have to resort to some sort do/save/undo process...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
I'll look when I get home to double check, but you can do a mass export of all of your labeled tracks en masse (same method as 2ch mixdowns). It's controlled in the overall preferences to prompt for channel mixdown options when you export and whether you want to default to 2ch and mix or multi-channel with optional mix.

I've tinkered with it before. If you're only working in Audacity for multi-track stuff, then it will work better since you don't constantly dicker around with it to to 2ch mixdowns versus multi-channel exports.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »
I'll look when I get home to double check, but you can do a mass export of all of your labeled tracks en masse (same method as 2ch mixdowns). It's controlled in the overall preferences to prompt for channel mixdown options when you export and whether you want to default to 2ch and mix or multi-channel with optional mix.

I've tinkered with it before. If you're only working in Audacity for multi-track stuff, then it will work better since you don't constantly dicker around with it to to 2ch mixdowns versus multi-channel exports.

I had that option checked, but it still wants to create 2 channel files when I choose "Export Multiple"

I ended up selecting the audio between each label and manually exporting each one individually.  it gave me the channel dialog and seems to work that way

now to see how it sounds when I stream the multichannel flacs to the stereo...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »

I had that option checked, but it still wants to create 2 channel files when I choose "Export Multiple"

I ended up selecting the audio between each label and manually exporting each one individually.  it gave me the channel dialog and seems to work that way

now to see how it sounds when I stream the multichannel flacs to the stereo...

interesting, I'll play with it when I get home and see what I'm forgetting.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scb

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
thanks.  no rush, though.  I have no idea when the next time I'll do this is.  it already took me 10 years to make this one (these files are from 2001 :) )

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
if i understand what you want to do scott, then you can achieve it by "muting" the tracks you don't want in the export
what i mean is lets say you have your 5 tracks laid out and you only want  3 in the final exported file, simply mute 1, 2, 4, 5 then export multi and you will end up with a channel 2 only with each marker/label
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
if i understand what you want to do scott, then you can achieve it by "muting" the tracks you don't want in the export
what i mean is lets say you have your 5 tracks laid out and you only want  3 in the final exported file, simply mute 1, 2, 4, 5 then export multi and you will end up with a channel 2 only with each marker/label

I want all the tracks to export, but when exporting 5 track audio with "Export Multiple," it mixes them down to stereo

I ended up doing each track marker individually.  Not ideal, but it got the job done

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »
I'm not sure it would help for this, but you could just delete the tracks you don't want to export, then after each export, multiples in stereo, Undelete them again?!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com