Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sharing multipe files at once online?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sharing multipe files at once online?
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:05:30 AM »
Are there any sites that will let you upload whole folders to share?  It's only about 650 MB.

I taped several of my cousin's band's shows (sets really) last summer and he's looking for copies.  He's only looking for something small like MP3.  I only have the AAC iTunes compressed versions.  They're tracked out in individual show folders, all together in an overall band folder.  Anyway, or good website, to just upload this without doing one track at a time?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Sharing multipe files at once online?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:49 AM »
mediafire.com
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline achalsey

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:35:48 AM »
Thanks Bean.  I did look at that earlier (actually because I checked out your Phish pictures, very nice btw) but it doesn't seem to let you upload folders with other sub-folders in it, which I was hoping to do; just dump it all at once.  But I guess I'm going to go your route and just upload one show at a time and see how that works.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:37:34 AM by achalsey »

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »
Just combine the whole folder (subfolders included) into a single Zip file, then upload that. I think a lot/most free hosting sites allow single files of 650MB nowadays.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:01:36 AM »
Just combine the whole folder (subfolders included) into a single Zip file, then upload that. I think a lot/most free hosting sites allow single files of 650MB nowadays.

Thank you!  I'm not too computer literate but I think basically thats the answer I was looking for to go put into google.  I just started to figure out making separate folders in mediafire so am going to try that first.  Depending on how well my cousin can figure out downloading from mediafire, I'll test the zip files next.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
I generally put them into zip files.

$ zip outputfile.zip ./path ./path/*

I'm not sure of the win* variant.  But winzip and 7zip and other options, many with gui's where you just select the files and press go (or whatever they name said button).  You can also password protect the zip.  Not that it's strong protection, but it's there.  If only to suggest intent.

Many means to an end.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
a linux guy zips? not gzip? ;)

I also recommend just compressing and the uploading to http://iput.it

Box.net will allow you to upload/download one at a time and since its an mp3, you can listen online.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
Well, if I'm sharing, it's likely that the recipient isn't on linux.  Besides gzip is so last millennium.   If you're going to bother actually compressing the data, bzip2 does a better job IMO.  And cpu's are fast enough these days that the processing trade-off isn't that burdensome.  At least for one offs.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
I will look into that compression! Thanks for the input
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:57:15 PM »
I like dropbox better for large filesets than sites like yousendit or mediafire, as you can select individual files if you want to sample something without getting the whole thing.

New users get 2GB free. If you would be so kind as to use my referral link, I get another .25gb for that, so please do!
http://db.tt/rrQgu9o

dropbox main page: www.dropbox.com
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline achalsey

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:36 AM »
^^  Used your link to sign up to get you the extra 1/4 gb of space.

and just a pointless follow up to my OP: I just zipped the highest file (containing all the show subfolders) thank you tailschao)) and sent it through fyles.com.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
So fyles.com worked once then had trouble uploading the next time and is looking to be sold so I think I'm done with that.  I'm trying mediafire but it says it will take 7 hours to upload my file.

I'm trying to share a 1.8 gb zip file that has a few shows with people who have no idea how to download.  I'm assuming the long upload time translates into long download time and I'm really trying to avoid that.  I'm not sure if I'm just naive about this but 7 hour upload seems absolutely ridiculous.

I can't figure out dropbox though I have it on the computer (it won't do anything when I click on it), so any word on if this is normal or I'm just doing something wrong.

Any sites I could just pay a small fee (>15 bucks) and get some actually quick sharing?

edit:  I don't know my internet speed but its usually pretty good.  I turned off transmission so I'm not uploading/downloading anything else and it jumped down to an hour and a half.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:41:05 PM by achalsey »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
1.8 GB is a big file.  Without knowing your exact bandwidth, it is not inconceivable that 7 hrs. is reasonable.

That being said, I much prefer dropbox than anything else mentioned here.  2 GB free and if you sign up using this link, both you and I get 0.25 GB extra space.

http://db.tt/V5qxTXL
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
Uploads are generally 1/10th the speed of downloads.  It's an ISP thing.  If you're looking at > 500MB (0.5Gb) I'd probably look at hosting it on a torrent.  Or breaking it up into parts.  Not that 1.8Gb is all that big relative to a non-dual layer DVD disc.  But it's a lot to download over a slow connection.  Some of which are slower than others.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com