Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PSP2  (Read 19968 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
PSP2
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:55:19 PM »
ok this thing makes no sense to me.  crazy french.  what settings should i be using?  mic sensitivity=35, 55, 80? gain=0, 6, or 12?  what a strange design.  if anyone has links to a manual, that would be great.  

how long should i expect this thing to run on 6 AA's?  what about lithiums?

mine didn't come with a power cable, will this thing take 6 volts?  it says max 9...

thanks.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
Re:PSP2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 01:28:08 PM »
:::paging Lee:::
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 01:29:47 PM »
give Jerry Bruck of Post Horn a call he can provide some info for you I'm sure.

gfl
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 01:48:08 PM »
thanks james, but jerry bruck thinks i'm an asshole.  i'll have to wait for Lee or natelsky to chime in.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 01:48:45 PM »
from L to R looking at the panel, this is how mine stays set: power=ON, MIC setting, 24/48 phantom, -35 sens, no rolloff, 0 gain

All the runtime you need off a set of 1800mAh powerex's, but I've never really tested it to be sure.  It ran an entire allmans show + opener last summer without flinching- I'm sure it would go longer than that.  Contrary to popular belief, I'd just run it off internals since the power connection is in a weird place and is non-locking.  Just make sure you get the sled seated in there the right way or it'll come back to bite you.

Marc might be able to help you out a little more since he ran it with the 4022s, but there ain't that much to screw up.

-JLW

edit: spelling

edit 2: it's really sensitive, at the lowest gain setting it peaked out irregularly (kind of how you want a UA-5 to peak out if that makes any sense) FOB at panic running the 63 caps.  I think the DPAs don't drive the signal that hard so you should be OK, but you might need to think about some attenuators if you think that will be a problem, especially for louder acts (mule and the truckers come to mind)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 01:51:37 PM by Lee »
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:51:39 PM »
thanks Lee...so the sensitivity is how much gain it applies initially?  what is the 0,6,12 gain switch for?  more gain?

it's okay to use those rechargables?  last night i used 4 rechargables and 2 regular AA's just to turn the thing on and it was a major PITA to get the sled back out.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 01:54:01 PM »
not sure the difference between sensitivity and gain in that respect, but the larger number you get with both of them, the hotter the signal runs.

It'll scrape the paint off rechargeables if you run them in there long enough, and it's hard to get them seated right, but once you develop a 'touch' for it, you're good to go.  Sure beats the alternative...

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 01:56:13 PM »
thanks, just gave a t for 555 (which is the height in feet of the washington memorial).

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 01:58:55 PM »
thanks, just gave a t for 555 (which is the height in feet of the washington memorial).

...which is coated on the exterior in white marble quarried in Sylacauga, Alabama.

T back atcha

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 02:08:35 PM »
set to zero gain each channel, -35 mic sens, 24/48 phantom on, never used the lo/hp filters. You can get 10+ hours off AA's, that is until your battery cage sketches out, and you lose power, and/or the batteries melt in the cage. Save yourself some trauma and only use the cage when you are running stealth. You can run for like 15-20 hours off a 6v sla. The power cable is the same one that the mme runs off of 6v. Brothers/Kinder/Smiley/guys at Masterpiece have all had trouble with the cage, to the point Brothers built an external pack.

Oh, and never, never leave batteries in overnight. They will melt.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 02:10:41 PM »

Oh, and never, never leave batteries in overnight. They will melt.

they melt?  even if the power is off?  what the fuck?

marc0789

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »
oh, and from what I've been able to estimate, I think the above settings translate into roughly 20-25 db of gain, roughly akin to the m148, a little hotter maybe. So you can probably start the v3 out at fairly lo gain, 4022>eaa>v3 might sound pretty nice. Damon, I do have a few 4022>eaa>modsbm1 tapes if that's what you're gonna run. I like the sound, in the words of Sunbear, "dripping wet", maybe a touch too wet for me.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 02:14:41 PM »
you know i'm not sure what i'm gonna do.  i want to mess around a bit.  i think psp2>modsbm1 might be too warm for me.  i want to try it in front of the v3 for shits and giggles.  also am curious about 4022>psp2>sd722.  the modsbm1 probably won't be around that long, i could use the cash.  we'll see.  but 4022>psp2>msbm1 or 4022>psp2>m1 will be my stealth rig for sure.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 02:15:03 PM »
I always take the batteries out of mine when it's not in use, per Marc's warnings.  At least it doesn't go "boooooooom" like some other pieces of gear...

Sounds really nice with an apogee behind it, haven't tried it with the SBM yet but from what I heard, it's good stuff.

marc0789

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 02:19:34 PM »
yep, even with the power off. had a narrow escape a coupla years ago, avoided damage, they were all hot and mushy, I'd lent the unit to a buddy and forgot to remind him. The unit got a clean bill of health by aeta subsequently. something is sketchy with current to the cage, damn frenchies.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com