Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: high pitched buzz in recording  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
high pitched buzz in recording
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
Anyone know an easy way to remove a high pitched tone from a recording?  I got a new cable to connect my preamp to my R09-HR, and apparently it is shit.  Recorded Howie Day, and in the quiet parts it's this constant tone.  It's really annoying.

I use Audacity.  Anyone know an easy way to remove or notch that sound?  It's the same throughout, sometimes louder sometimes softer but always the same.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: high pitched buzz in recording
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:36:05 AM »
Anyone know an easy way to remove a high pitched tone from a recording?  I got a new cable to connect my preamp to my R09-HR, and apparently it is shit.  Recorded Howie Day, and in the quiet parts it's this constant tone.  It's really annoying.

I use Audacity.  Anyone know an easy way to remove or notch that sound?  It's the same throughout, sometimes louder sometimes softer but always the same.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148725.msg1901618#msg1901618

Can you recreate the noise when recording at home? Just curious, I've got an attenuator that has a ground issue and produces a buzz so it's quite possible.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
Yes, a notch filter is the way to go if you can isolate the frequency.  You'll lose some small part of the frequency spectrum but better than a buzz.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
good idea, I'll try that.  I was upset last night when I heard the buzz during the show and couldn't do anything about it.  Ugh.

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
I taped a show the other night with a constant buzz in the PA. I've been reading lots of threads here, including the one page linked to and posted in. I think I can minimize that.

There were two off-beat clappers as well. I'm wondering if I should have asked each of them to let me record some samples to help identify and possibly minimize the rhythm-less section. I assume intermittent clapping will inhabit a wider band of frequencies than a hum or buzz and be much more difficult to isolate/reduce?

I have too many tapes sitting on a shelf because I haven't learned to fix or alleviate some of the issues that seem to plague tapers.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148725.msg1915148#msg1915148

this worked perfect, but probably too rich for your (and my) blood.  So if you can acquire it...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148725.msg1915148#msg1915148

this worked perfect, but probably too rich for your (and my) blood.  So if you can acquire it...

On the up and up, the base version of RX is rather affordable considering what we spend on gear. Now, the advanced version is priced out of our range for most folks, but it has limited functionality so I'm not sure you're missing much. Granted, when you need it, it's crazy handy, but I don't use the Adv functions often.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
Well, my buzz was around 18.0k and was easy enough. Now I'm working on the clapping. Still working in Audacity but may look into other options. I really want to save this one. I'm not much of a critical listener and it's hard for me to tell what I'm losing as I tweak it.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com