Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is there a way to test dvd batteries?  (Read 8825 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: is there a way to test dvd batteries?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
I'm curious how did you catch your bag on fire??

yeah, last thing i need is my entire bag going up in smoke at a show and evacuating the venue.  :lol

Oh, it wasn't such a big deal when it happened to me last year...TWICE.  ;) 

Queue up a response from Bean right about now.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »

yeah, last thing i need is my entire bag going up in smoke at a show and evacuating the venue.  :lol

Actually, I only caught my bag on fire once...I caught my tent on fire the other time.  LOL. 

OK, first experience was that I'd rigged up a battery cable in support of summercamp this past May.  It was the 3rd or 4th set of the first day that the fire happened.  I think my problem was that I'd used some old black electrical tape to isolate a pigtail and since the tape was old, it didn't hold like it should have.  Honestly, don't know if that was the issue or not but I've had some issues with a roll of tape since, so I think that was it.  OK, so it was kinda strange because the cable was supplying power just fine and it was the middle of a Cornmeal set.  I can't remember why, but I reached into my bag and was trying to reposition something (maybe trying to untangle some wires) when all of the sudden FLAMES are shooting up from my friggin' gear bag.  Obviously the battery cable had shorted.  I yell something incoherent that probably sounded something like MOTHAFUCK and all I hear is Bean next to me saying over and over again...holy shit holy shit HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT but not doing a goddam thing.   ;D ;D  I'm unplugging shit at the speed of light as fast as I possibly can pulling it out of my bag without any regard to the flames...after all IT'S MY FRIGGIN GEAR!!!  To hell with human body parts!

So, after the smoke cleared (literally) and I had developed a small audience, I determined that the only damage was to the top edge of my gear bag.  The flames were just the melting techflex, cable insulation, and the edge of my gear bag.  Fortunately, no actual gear was damaged.  I got burned from yanking the cables out, but luckily the hot cable immediately cauterized the burn and honestly it didn't hurt much at all during weekend even though it looked a little nasty.  LUCKY!!!!

Then, later this summer, I had an encore fire fighting experience at moedown.  So, I like to bring a 12V marine battery to festivals with me for various camp electrical needs.  I hook up an inverter and it's handy for various needs, like a small fan and whatnot.  This year Bean and I got our camp set up, all the tents up and whatnot.  After initial setup, chilled out with a couple of beers/pops and now it's time to start setting up the tent and bed.  So I grabbed that battery, the inverter, and a little electric blower that I use to blow up my air mattress.  I plugged the male member of the inverter into the female socket (kinda like a cigarette lighter socket in your car) of the battery terminal connectors and nothing happens.  Hmmm...what's going on?  Of course, since I'd already set my gear bag on fire earlier this summer, I figured I was an expert at diagnosing this type of thing by now.  That's when I noticed that the male part of the inverter was missing the center pole.  DAMMIT, without that center pole, I'm not gonna have any electricity for the weekend.  That's completely unacceptable, so I set about finding a solution.  AHA...it turns out that the hole in which that center pole formerly existed is exactly the same size as a penny!!!  (Can you see where this is going?)  So I ask Bean if he has a penny and he hands me a penny.  So I put that copper penny , which is a GREAT electricity conductor into that hole and...POOF!  Within a nano-second that cable and the interter and everything in between goes up in smoke and I have a SECOND fire on my hands.  Fortunately this time I had everything in hand so it only took a micro-second to disconnect and there were no actual flames and I didn't get burned, but OMG the smoke was THICK!

I offered to make Bean a cable recently and he didn't respond to my offer...I'm not really sure why.   ;D ;D  I'm thinking of starting a TV show...it will be a sequel to Tool Time Tim!

So that's the story.  Bean can attest.

:nightfevah:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:52:33 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Steve you might need to start bringing a kitchen fire extinguisher in the gear bag!!   ;D  Glad your gear survived and you only destroyed a cable. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
Of course, since I'd already set my gear bag on fire earlier this summer, I figured I was an expert at diagnosing this type of thing by now.

I feel lucky to have taped next to you twice and escaped unscathed :P
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »
I think my problem was that I'd used some old black electrical tape to isolate a pigtail and since the tape was old, it didn't hold like it should have.
I'm not sure why, but I offered to make Bean a cable recently and he didn't respond to my offer.  LOL.  I'm thinking of starting a TV show...sequel to Tool Time Tim!

Wait a minute, don't you work at a nuke plant? ;)

I hope that wasn't the same tape they use to hold "the plant" together :P

It's good that neither of those incidents involved lithium battery fires, etc.  I've had a couple of cases where I smelled burning electronics at a gig and frantically checked my gear... Fortunately it was just a stage monitor blowing.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »
LOL.  Yeah, the last I worked at a plant was in 1988, but even back then we used shrink wrap and weren't allowed to use electrical tape, so breath easy although I do recall that duct tape was probably used alot more than it should have been back then.  ;)

I normally use shrink wrap on my cables, but I ran out for awhile earlier this year, which explains the old electrical tape. 

Fliesh...thanks for the confidence boost, bro!   

JBell, I don't need no freakin' fire extinguisher because now I know that I've got reflexes like a cat and since I usually tape with Bean, I also have a fire alarm that sounds like this...holy shit-- holy shit-- holy shit!

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »
^^^^^ or just use bean to put the fire out! lol    sorry bean! :P
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »
. . . I've got reflexes like a cat  . . .
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
LOL.  Yeah, the last I worked at a plant was in 1988, but even back then we used shrink wrap and weren't allowed to use electrical tape, so breath easy although I do recall that duct tape was probably used alot more than it should have been back then.  ;)

Back when that magical place known and Boeing Surplus was still in business (moment of silence, please), I bought several rolls of cerified aircraft grade electrcal tape.  It's neat stuff - epoxy, very strong, and very light weight.  It is very heat resistant compared to vinyl tape.  I assume the adhesive has better longevity.  It doesn't stretch like vinyl tape, and you can't stretch-break it, so it isn't convenient to use.  And, of course, huge meter long bundles of heatshrink and teflon sleeve.

I did get a roll of woven fireproof sleeve, for a few bucks.  The kind of stuff that sells for many dollars a foot in consumer grade (but aircraft grade, who knows). That's what you need ;) 

I can remember one Christmas when aluminum was on sale for half off - I think  .25 or .40/lbs - whether big blocks of various alloys (6061, 2024, 7075), or full 4x8' sheets.... Sigh.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »

Actually, I only caught my bag on fire once...I caught my tent on fire the other time.  LOL. 

OK, first experience was that I'd rigged up a battery cable in support of summercamp this past May.  It was the 3rd or 4th set of the first day that the fire happened.  I think my problem was that I'd used some old black electrical tape to isolate a pigtail and since the tape was old, it didn't hold like it should have.  Honestly, don't know if that was the issue or not but I've had some issues with a roll of tape since, so I think that was it.  OK, so it was kinda strange because the cable was supplying power just fine and it was the middle of a Cornmeal set.  I can't remember why, but I reached into my bag and was trying to reposition something (maybe trying to untangle some wires) when all of the sudden FLAMES are shooting up from my friggin' gear bag.  Obviously the battery cable had shorted.  I yell something incoherent that probably sounded something like MOTHAFUCK and all I hear is Bean next to me saying over and over again...holy shit holy shit HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT but not doing a goddam thing.   ;D ;D  I'm unplugging shit at the speed of light as fast as I possibly can pulling it out of my bag without any regard to the flames...after all IT'S MY FRIGGIN GEAR!!!  To hell with human body parts!

So, after the smoke cleared (literally) and I had developed a small audience, I determined that the only damage was to the top edge of my gear bag.  The flames were just the melting techflex, cable insulation, and the edge of my gear bag.  Fortunately, no actual gear was damaged.  I got burned from yanking the cables out, but luckily the hot cable immediately cauterized the burn and honestly it didn't hurt much at all during weekend even though it looked a little nasty.  LUCKY!!!!

Then, later this summer, I had an encore fire fighting experience at moedown.  So, I like to bring a 12V marine battery to festivals with me for various camp electrical needs.  I hook up an inverter and it's handy for various needs, like a small fan and whatnot.  This year Bean and I got our camp set up, all the tents up and whatnot.  After initial setup, chilled out with a couple of beers/pops and now it's time to start setting up the tent and bed.  So I grabbed that battery, the inverter, and a little electric blower that I use to blow up my air mattress.  I plugged the male member of the inverter into the female socket (kinda like a cigarette lighter socket in your car) of the battery terminal connectors and nothing happens.  Hmmm...what's going on?  Of course, since I'd already set my gear bag on fire earlier this summer, I figured I was an expert at diagnosing this type of thing by now.  That's when I noticed that the male part of the inverter was missing the center pole.  DAMMIT, without that center pole, I'm not gonna have any electricity for the weekend.  That's completely unacceptable, so I set about finding a solution.  AHA...it turns out that the hole in which that center pole formerly existed is exactly the same size as a penny!!!  (Can you see where this is going?)  So I ask Bean if he has a penny and he hands me a penny.  So I put that copper penny , which is a GREAT electricity conductor into that hole and...POOF!  Within a nano-second that cable and the interter and everything in between goes up in smoke and I have a SECOND fire on my hands.  Fortunately this time I had everything in hand so it only took a micro-second to disconnect and there were no actual flames and I didn't get burned, but OMG the smoke was THICK!

I offered to make Bean a cable recently and he didn't respond to my offer...I'm not really sure why.   ;D ;D  I'm thinking of starting a TV show...it will be a sequel to Tool Time Tim!

So that's the story.  Bean can attest.

:nightfevah:

Yes, I can attest, ALL of that is true. Except FIRE #2 happened at All Good, not MoeDown ;) I can still picture both incidents in my head like they happened yesterday :) ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com