Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: radio noise/interference with CA-9200, please help! (with audio samples)  (Read 12340 times)

Offline TimSmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: radio noise/interference with CA-9200, please help! (with audio samples)
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:42 PM »
I've got some positive results yesterday. Found that there was completely no interference on staircase in my house. I step outside the flat, close the door and that's it. I can't hear any external noise, only preamp self noise (even on +40db). Maybe that's because walls on staircase are very thick (about 1.5-2 feet) and there are only few small windows. I'm pretty sure now, that I'll be ok at concert halls/clubs.

Big thanks everyone for their help!

I really have had no issues with this preamp with inducted interference. Good luck with your recordings and let me know if you have any more questions.

Chris

Thanks for your friendliness, Chris.

Actually there's two little questions:
1) There is a red light on CA9200. Is it supposed to turn green? I mean is it battery indicator or just on/off light?
2) What is optimal gain on CA-9200, that will give me best signal to noise ratio? I remember that you always suggest to use CA-9100 on max gain (20). How's with 9200? Or maybe I shouldn't use +30db and higher at amplified shows, only +15db (in case that preamp can be overloaded)?
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
I've got some positive results yesterday. Found that there was completely no interference on staircase in my house. I step outside the flat, close the door and that's it. I can't hear any external noise, only preamp self noise (even on +40db). Maybe that's because walls on staircase are very thick (about 1.5-2 feet) and there are only few small windows. I'm pretty sure now, that I'll be ok at concert halls/clubs.

Big thanks everyone for their help!

I really have had no issues with this preamp with inducted interference. Good luck with your recordings and let me know if you have any more questions.

Chris

Thanks for your friendliness, Chris.

Actually there's two little questions:
1) There is a red light on CA9200. Is it supposed to turn green? I mean is it battery indicator or just on/off light?
2) What is optimal gain on CA-9200, that will give me best signal to noise ratio? I remember that you always suggest to use CA-9100 on max gain (20). How's with 9200? Or maybe I shouldn't use +30db and higher at amplified shows, only +15db (in case that preamp can be overloaded)?
1 - the power light is just an indicator but battery life should be about 40 + hours.
2 - The preamp is pretty quiet. So you can use up to +40 db of gain however for loud stuff I would not go more than +25 db not because the preamp will overload but because it can overload your line input.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »
Ok, thanks very much!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »

If it is red, it means the kgb are listening.  If it flashes red, they are coming for you.

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »

If it is red, it means the kgb are listening.  If it flashes red, they are coming for you.
Pretty usefull tool! Thanks for the tip.

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 06:13:07 AM »
One more question (sorry  :)):
With CA-9200 on high gain I hear hiss in left channel (same with bbox, only in right).
My question is about HPF. When I turn it ON, hiss disappears. Is this normal? Should I usually use HPF? Or I can get same results with EQ on PC?

Thank you!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
One more question (sorry  :)):
With CA-9200 on high gain I hear hiss in left channel (same with bbox, only in right).
My question is about HPF. When I turn it ON, hiss disappears. Is this normal? Should I usually use HPF? Or I can get same results with EQ on PC?

Thank you!

You must be hearing something else. because the high pass filter will not change noise levels. And make sure all plug in power is off on the recorder. And that you are not plugged into a mic input. And that AGC is off. You dont need the HPF with my mics.

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
Oh, it's been a while... Here is a short report. Over the last few months I've recorded several shows at different venues and also done tests in various parts and far from the city. And I have this "radio problem" only near my home. :-P So this problem is solved.

But recently (while recording quiet stuff) I've faced another thing. It seems to be some kind of battery issue, cos it happens with both preamp and bbox. It sounds like wind noise (bassy hiss) only in one channel (left with pre and right with bbox). With HPF turned ON on preamp it disappears COMPLETELY. I wonder what will happen if I use EQ to compensate bass reduction on 9200?? Can't do it right now and (sorry) cant post samples, i am on mobile device. But as I remember, the sample no2 from the first post can give an immpression.
And i know that i have to use good batteries. Used Duracell, but maybe it's just a copy. I plan to order Maha rechargables as soon as I can (i see many people recommend them).

And I must add that I like using my 9200 for quiet recordings (with hpf now). Makes difference when comparing to m10 internal preamp.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Wonder why youre getting noise with the HPF OFF and no noise with the HPF ON ???

Chris? Anyone?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Church-Audio

Oh, it's been a while... Here is a short report. Over the last few months I've recorded several shows at different venues and also done tests in various parts and far from the city. And I have this "radio problem" only near my home. :-P So this problem is solved.

But recently (while recording quiet stuff) I've faced another thing. It seems to be some kind of battery issue, cos it happens with both preamp and bbox. It sounds like wind noise (bassy hiss) only in one channel (left with pre and right with bbox). With HPF turned ON on preamp it disappears COMPLETELY. I wonder what will happen if I use EQ to compensate bass reduction on 9200?? Can't do it right now and (sorry) cant post samples, i am on mobile device. But as I remember, the sample no2 from the first post can give an immpression.
And i know that i have to use good batteries. Used Duracell, but maybe it's just a copy. I plan to order Maha rechargables as soon as I can (i see many people recommend them).

And I must add that I like using my 9200 for quiet recordings (with hpf now). Makes difference when comparing to m10 internal preamp.
what mics are you using?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
CA-14 if memory serves me.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Church-Audio

send the mics back I will check them out you might have a bad capsule.

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
Yes, I use CA14 (both card & omni), but I bet mics are not the source of the noise. Ive just checked one more time to be sure: there is same noise with both mics and even WITHOUT any mics plugged in. It happens with both 9200 preamp & bbox (less noticable with bbox maybe) and without recorder (no noise with ca14->pip->m10). And yes, no noise with HPF ON on the pre.

Offline Church-Audio

Yes, I use CA14 (both card & omni), but I bet mics are not the source of the noise. Ive just checked one more time to be sure: there is same noise with both mics and even WITHOUT any mics plugged in. It happens with both 9200 preamp & bbox (less noticable with bbox maybe) and without recorder (no noise with ca14->pip->m10). And yes, no noise with HPF ON on the pre.

If you are getting noise from my battery box and preamp with nothing plugged in I suspect the battery contacts are loose and or you have fake Duracell batteries and they are the source of the issue. This is Russia and if I am not mistaken there is no Duracell factory in Russia and you have an import ban on all items over $100 :) so i would wonder where these Duracell are actually coming from.

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
Yeah, battery. Thats what i thought of too. Could anyone please advise good batteries on ebay?

So now I cant get any items over 100USD shipped to Russia?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:27:53 AM by TimSmith »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com