Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rechargable 9v recommendations for battery boxes?  (Read 4343 times)

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Rechargable 9v recommendations for battery boxes?
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »
I'd like to start using rechargeable batteries for my battery boxes. Usually I'm running DPA 4060s > DPA MMA6000, but I also have a set of Sound Professionals mics + battery box as backup. My recording activity has been kind of intermittent over the past few years and I think I'd rather replace the current batteries with something that I can just recharge whenever I have something coming up.

Thinking maybe these: www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Charger-Self-discharge-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00461DNTO/

I'm no expert on what I should be looking for in a battery though. Does anyone around here have any recommendations or input to help me out?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rechargable 9v recommendations for battery boxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
This is one situation where I might recommend against a rechargable solution. I don't know how long a 9v will last in your MMA6000, but a more typical battery box (like your Sound Professionals variety) will power a pair of miniature electret microphones for several hundred hours and if you're only taping occasionall the self-discharge associated with rechargeable might mean you have to recharge whereas an alkaline will still probably be good. The low-discharge rechargables will surely be less risky, but still moreso than an alkaline.

I've known people to go 1-2 years between changing 9v's... and they only did it to be safe, not because the battery had actually died.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »
This is one situation where I might recommend against a rechargable solution. I don't know how long a 9v will last in your MMA6000, but a more typical battery box (like your Sound Professionals variety) will power a pair of miniature electret microphones for several hundred hours and if you're only taping occasionall the self-discharge associated with rechargeable might mean you have to recharge whereas an alkaline will still probably be good. The low-discharge rechargables will surely be less risky, but still moreso than an alkaline.

I've known people to go 1-2 years between changing 9v's... and they only did it to be safe, not because the battery had actually died.
That's just the thing though, right now I'm in that category of people that buys new 9v's every year or two just to be safe and that seems a little wasteful. DPA's specs say that quality alkalines will last over 24 hours in the MMA6000. So even if I only got 1/5th the running time for my DPA preamp on a single charge I could live with it. I know the rechargeables won't last 100+ hours on a single charge like the regular alkalines do and I have no problem with charging them between shows. But I haven't seen anyone else mention using rechargeables in a battery box before so I'm a little hesitant.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:19:21 PM by faninor »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
Maha Imedion 9.6V (the newer, higher capacity low-self-discharge version).  Looks like this-
(nice blank panel on the face for Sharpie numbering)

The older, lower capacity non LSD Maha Powerex version looked exactly like the new slightly higher capacity version (no reason at all to choose this one now instead of the superior one above it has a 70 mAh higher capacity, but is not LSD)-

I've used them both in the MMA6000 and CA-UGLY preamps with 4060s and simply recharge between gigs.  The LSD versions hold their charge far longer after re-charging which is even more important for a battery box application that has a lower draw than preamps. I haven't used either in batt box only applications, but useage there sould be similar to the CA-UGLY pre's which have no low power indicator, with the exception that the draw will be less so you needn't change them as often.  The best practice is to check voltage before and after the show while the battery is attached and under load in the box, not disconnected as an open circuit.  I recharge if they measure under 10V, & replace them when they start to drop Voltage significantly to 8-9V within what was previously good useage times.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:18:49 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
So the Maha Imedion which is 230 mAh lasts longer than the 300 mAh Powerex? I'm confused.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
They’re all Maha.

The old white cased, non LSD Powerex version had a 230mAh rating.  That was the only one available until about a year ago or so AFAIK.

The new back cased LSD Imedion version has the same 230mAh rating, but is LSD.  I was mistaken in thinking the capacity had been increased, it stayed the same. 

I had forgotten that at the same time the new Imedion version was released, they upgraded the non LSD Powerex capacity from 230 to 300 mAh.  Apologies for the confusion.  I didn't check the photo I linked closely enough to see if it shows the old or new Powerex which look identical except for that number.  But regardless, for faninor's battery box application, the Imedion version will probably last longer than the slightly higher capacity new Powerex, simply because the current drain if the battery box is likely so low that self-discharge would probably drain the battery before the mics do.  IME, the Powerex ones will self-discharge to 7-8V in about a week or two.  The Imedions retain over 10Vs of charge for at least a month, which is as long as I've gone between use with them.

I chose the Imedions for that reason even though my current drain is higher, and they've been working great.  I suspect they may have a longer life too.  I got about a year, maybe a year and a half of heavy use out of the old Powerex ones before they went wonky and died.. and their death was a bit of a mystery problem at the time which is why I mentioned the best practice for checking them under load before and after use to catch their eventual decline before they cause a problem.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:24:24 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
Thanks, very helpful info Gutbucket. I think I'll give those low-self-discharge Imedions a try.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Let us know how it works out. The advantage of the 9.6V Maha is that those batteries actually have a voltage greater than 9V - closer to 10.5-11. Some people were having problems with "9v" rechargeables actually having too low a voltage to power devices. Good luck.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »
^^
Yep.  Probably not a huge issue for a battery box only, but I guess that depends on the mics. 

Hi and lo raised a good point early in the thread mentioning that that alkalines aren't a bad choice for batterybox use simply because they won't need to be changed nearly as often batteries in preamps.  I think the key to success with either alkalines or low self discharge nimh is testing before and after use.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 02:08:15 AM »
iPowerUS makes an excellent 9v lithium polymer rechargeable in up to 520 mah capacity.  Been using them for three years without failure.  thomas distributing sells them as well as most pro shops like Trew audio, Coffey sound, etc...  highly recommended.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
http://www.ipowerus.com/Products/DC9V520pro/DC9V520pro.htm

Their website states" Working voltage 8.4V~6.5V". That might work with some equipment, but I think that wouldn't cut it for my Nbox.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
The op asks about sp battery box, I've used them before.  As well as lectrosonics wireless, phantom power supplies, lots of 9 v hardware without any failure.  IMHO a far superior chemistry than NiMH in 9v form factor.  Ymmv.  I've not used a naiant box, so can't help there.

Best,

John

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
Those iPower 520 9V rechargeables are definitely the way to go.  They are 8.4v when fully charged as noted here.

We've switched almost exclusively to them with our wireless mics that need 9V batteries.  When I insert a fully charged iPower 9v into the wireless mic pack, the battery display reads 2 out 3 bars...
at first this seemed worrisome until we realized it still read 2 out of 3 bars after about 10 hours of use.  A fresh alkaline usually dies after about 8 hours.

So...
highly recommended! 

If you're worried about the voltage, ask the manufacturer of your device what they think.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com