Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob Audacity question  (Read 3007 times)

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
Noob Audacity question
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
I'm a noob that just recorded my first shows this past weekend using a Tascam DR-100mkii at 48khz/24bit.  I'm using Audacity to boost volume levels and convert the files to 44.1khz/16bit, and CD Wave to split tracks so I can burn CDs (for some friends who still use them).  I've had no problem boosting volume and converting from 24bit to 16 bit with Audacity or tracking with CD Wave.

The problem I keep running into is that when I re-sample from 48khz to 44.1khz, the audio slows down considerably.  In fact, one ~37 minute set became ~40 minutes after re-sampling.  I've read the readme files at the top of this section and tried my best to apply what was suggested in the workflows, but still keep having the same problem.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with a pointer or two.  I'm not married to Audacity and would be willing to switch to another program, but I would like to stay with a free (or at least under $100) program if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Noob Audacity question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
Not sure about the slow down issue, but just wondering why you didn't do the 24/48> 16/44.1 as one step rather than two.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:40:19 PM by dorrcoq »

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
There's a freeware program called db Poweramp, which I use for all my WAV conversion needs.  It's very simple to use and I've never had a single problem with it.

FWIW, I too record at 24/48 (on a dr-100 mk II, no less!) and track it out on Cool Edit Pro or Audacity in that format.  Use Trader's Little Helper to create 24/48 FLAC.  Then, take the original 24/48 WAV files and run them through db Poweramp, converting them to 16/44.1 WAV files.  Voila!

PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:04:56 PM by seanay »
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline mccordo

• Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
Not sure about the slow down issue, but just wondering why you didn't do the 24/48> 16/44.1 as one step rather than two.

I was doing everything at once (or so I thought) but kept running into the same slow down issue for some reason.  I think I may have missed a step in setting up the preferences or something.

There's a freeware program called db Poweramp, which I use for all my WAV conversion needs.  It's very simple to use and I've never had a single problem with it.

FWIW, I too record at 24/48 (on a dr-100 mk II, no less!) and track it out on Cool Edit Pro or Audacity in that format.  Use Trader's Little Helper to create 24/48 FLAC.  Then, take the original 24/48 WAV files and run them through db Poweramp, converting them to 16/44.1 WAV files.  Voila!

Thank you so much for that tip!  I downloaded db Poweramp last night and it worked perfectly.  Now my tracks are converted from 24/48 > 16/44.1 in one easy step!  :D

It's so nice to have a community of tapers who are willing to help out a noob like me...I wouldn't be taping if it weren't for tips from this board and generous musicians who allow us to tape their shows and spread the music.  I hope that one day when I'm a taping veteran I can help somebody who is in the same spot I'm in now just like this board has done for me.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »

I was doing everything at once (or so I thought) but kept running into the same slow down issue for some reason.  I think I may have missed a step in setting up the preferences or something.

Thank you so much for that tip!  I downloaded db Poweramp last night and it worked perfectly.  Now my tracks are converted from 24/48 > 16/44.1 in one easy step!  :D

It's so nice to have a community of tapers who are willing to help out a noob like me...I wouldn't be taping if it weren't for tips from this board and generous musicians who allow us to tape their shows and spread the music.  I hope that one day when I'm a taping veteran I can help somebody who is in the same spot I'm in now just like this board has done for me.

My pleasure.  I'm a noob myself; just started two months ago.  I understand how important it is to give help when you can!  My buddy Craig has been incredibly helpful and patient as he "passes down the craft."
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline nardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »
The problem I keep running into is that when I re-sample from 48khz to 44.1khz, the audio slows down considerably.  In fact, one ~37 minute set became ~40 minutes after re-sampling.  I've read the readme files at the top of this section and tried my best to apply what was suggested in the workflows, but still keep having the same problem.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with a pointer or two.  I'm not married to Audacity and would be willing to switch to another program, but I would like to stay with a free (or at least under $100) program if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Did you set the "Project Rate" to 44.1? (I'm on a Mac, it's in the lower-left corner of the main window in Audacity for me). Afair, you need to set that in addition to doing the "Tracks -> Resample...".

Offline mccordo

• Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »

Thanks in advance!
Did you set the "Project Rate" to 44.1? (I'm on a Mac, it's in the lower-left corner of the main window in Audacity for me). Afair, you need to set that in addition to doing the "Tracks -> Resample...".

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I did set the Project Rate to 44.1, and Audacity still kept adding length to the tracks for whatever reason.  I'm on a Windows PC, and it's also in the lower left corner.  Now that I've got Poweramp, I'm a happy camper!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com