Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic amp ??  (Read 3685 times)

Offline thomasdrv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic amp ??
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »
I'm using a Sony PCM M-1 and a pair of DPA 4035.
I use a homemade batterybox for 48Volt.
I wonder if I should get me a microphone preamp....
Any suggestions anyone ??

Thomas
B&K 4035>Sony PCM D100

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mic amp ??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
Do yourself a huge favor-dump the DAT and enter the 21st century.

Get yourself a good all in one box like a Marantz PMD-661 or possibly a Fostex FR2-LE (not one of my personal favorites, but most owners swear by them).

Or get a preamp like a MixPre, Tinybox or used Littlebox and a small recorder like an M10.

For loud stuff it may not sound audibly better than your DAT set up, but you'll be amazed how much more convenient it will be to use. Plus you'll have more clean gain for quieter stuff (especially with the preamp-M10 system).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »
I'm using a Sony PCM M-1 and a pair of DPA 4035.
I use a homemade batterybox for 48Volt.
I wonder if I should get me a microphone preamp....
Any suggestions anyone ??

Thomas

Are the levels you are getting insufficient with what you have?  That's the main reason to get a preamp.

The most compact 48V pre is the tinybox; it's also the least expensive (good) one.  After that, at a large (nearly 4x) step up in price, and call it 2.5x larger in size, is the Aerco MP-2.  I love mine, and I prefer the sound of it over the tinybox (which I should, given the larger components the Aerco's larger case can hold).  The Aerco also can run at least 7hrs off of an internal rechargeable battery, which is key.  Tinybox, even longer.

There are also the Sound Devices small pres like the MixPre and MP-2, but IIRC they won't last terribly long on battery power, maybe only a couple of hrs.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »

[/quote]

There are also the Sound Devices small pres like the MixPre and MP-2, but IIRC they won't last terribly long on battery power, maybe only a couple of hrs.
[/quote]

Doesn't anybody bother to test run time? I just did. Got 5.5 hours before the 'low battery' light started flashing on Mixpre-D running 2 P48 mics and Sony 7506 headphone.
Running 2 Powerex 2700 NiHd batteries.  I'd call that really efficient.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »
^^ I have, but it has been awhile.  I have an original, later model MixPre (not -D) and did a rundown test using fresh Duracell AA's with a pair of AKG 414 XLS's using full 48v phantom.  Got to about 2 hours, 10 minutes and then the power dropped off rapidly; like within a minute or two it was unusable.  Don't have their specs handy but the 414's are LD's and I believe fall fairly close to the middle in terms of current draw (~5 mA; max supported for phantom is ~10mA).  Expect to get longer times from more efficient mics and shorter with less efficient mics, and longer times in general if you don't use full 48v.  Don't know for sure, but Sound Devices may have also tweaked the -D version to get longer runtimes from the batteries.  YMMV.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:09:39 PM »
I would assume that since the OP is running Omni's that stealth is probably in the equation.

I would also assume since the OP is running $4000 worth of mics that spending another $500 isn't a problem...

I would second the Tinybox > M10 option. It's small, and will sound pretty good. Also the M10 has INSANELY good battery life. The Tinybox isn't too shabby either, but I'm not running it at P48V. I would assume battery life is a little shorter with 48V vs. the 16V I'm running.

I think the biggest plus is the ability to run 24 bit, so you can run your levels a little lower and boost them in post. Very handy when it's not a good idea to keep checking your levels.

DPA 4035 > Tinybox > M10 is a pretty sick little rig.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
^^ I have, but it has been awhile.  I have an original, later model MixPre (not -D) and did a rundown test using fresh Duracell AA's with a pair of AKG 414 XLS's using full 48v phantom.  Got to about 2 hours, 10 minutes and then the power dropped off rapidly; like within a minute or two it was unusable.  Don't have their specs handy but the 414's are LD's and I believe fall fairly close to the middle in terms of current draw (~5 mA; max supported for phantom is ~10mA).  Expect to get longer times from more efficient mics and shorter with less efficient mics, and longer times in general if you don't use full 48v.  Don't know for sure, but Sound Devices may have also tweaked the -D version to get longer runtimes from the batteries.  YMMV.
Thanks. Mics drawing 2.3 mA per channel.  Also tested 8xAA battery holder with 2700 Powerex batteries. Ran 14 hours before shutting down. I'm happy with the MixPre-D.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
I would go the preamp>M10 route. I sold off my MBHOs AND 722 just to run mk41>sax>m10, and I now run 2 different rigs, both of which run mics>preamp>m10. I cannot say enough great things about the M10. Its small as all hell, gets amazing battery life, and IMO, has a KILLER ADC/Recorder section :)

So I would say go the TinyBox>M10 route and you will NEVER LOOK BACK ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Delivery on the Tinybox was up to around 6 weeks. FYI. I don't think you should let that influence your decision, it is worth the wait.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com