Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone Hughes net or other Satellite based Internet?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Denes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
Anyone Hughes net or other Satellite based Internet?
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
I got the basic hughes...   1 hour into a load to archive.org, not even 1/2 done, 2 hour set with 256k MP3.

Anyone got their upgrade.  I am so disappointed with their basic, hate to waste any more money.  Been wondering if dial-up would be faster, no joke.

Local Cable company wants $5000 to put in cable connection for a 1/2 decent DSL setup.   Been trying to talk them into letting me put buried cable in myself for about $1500 in cable costs.  I live about 1/4 mile away from the road.
The side stage is my rigs main stage.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone Hughes net or other Satellite based Internet?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
Currently house sitting for some friends who have satellite internet. While I like the satellite tv, I'm less than thrilled with the internet. Not sure who the satellite provider is though. The modem is sitting next to me and while I see a nice logo on it (on three sides) I see no indication of who the actual service is through. It's tolerable in the morning around 6AM, DL speeds show it to be on par with a basic ISDN line (about twice 56k dialup) but in the evening it drops to about 33.6k dialup speed. Must be a shared/distributed service like some cable internets are. Glad I don't have to put up with it for much longer.

Any possibility of getting a modem out by the road and using a cantenna setup to connect wirelessly in your house? You would need an unobstructed view between your house and the modem (also electricity at the road and some sort of weatherproof housing for the modem).

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone Hughes net or other Satellite based Internet?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »
Have you considered using a cell phone provider? I was able to achieve ~220K/sec download on 3g, but of course you really want to monitor this to ensure you're not paying $10 a gig.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com