Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Repairs for TCD-D8 (I searched the forums 1st)  (Read 8107 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Repairs for TCD-D8 (I searched the forums 1st)
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
The flash media for the M10 is about the size of a dime. Sort of hard to write on them.

Also kind of hard to organize them and keep from losing them. I wouldn't use flash drives to save my masters even if I could get them for free.

I would (and do) use a system similar to the one Fatah Ruark describes.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Angstroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
I'd consider the M10 to be the standard compared to the D8.

The standard "cost is no object" are the Sound Devices decks.

If your really concerned with physical media...it really wouldn't be that outrageous to buy a new card for every show. That being said...hard drives with both on site and off site backups are a hell of a lot easier to keep track of. The flash media for the M10 is about the size of a dime. Sort of hard to write on them.

My process is:

1. Record Show to flash media
2. Xfer flash media to HD (archive the master)
3. Edit and track master
4. Save tracked show to HD
5. Clone my main HD and backup HD.
6. Once every few months (or so) backup entire library to external HD to keep off site.

I have a lot to learn.... All of this stuff is new to me. Those Sound Device recorders are very big. They wouldn't be good for what type of recording I do, if you know what I mean. I have seen the other flash recorders, the R09 and Microtracker. I assume that the M10 is the benchmark still between these three models?

I will sometime soon, have to transfer all of my DATs, as they are taking up a lot of room. What is the best way to transfer these from DAT to flash?

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »

If your really concerned with physical media...it really wouldn't be that outrageous to buy a new card for every show. That being said...hard drives with both on site and off site backups are a hell of a lot easier to keep track of. The flash media for the M10 is about the size of a dime. Sort of hard to write on them.

My process is:

3. Edit and track master
6. Once every few months (or so) backup entire library to external HD to keep off site.

How you are listening to your recordings ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »
I have a lot to learn.... All of this stuff is new to me. Those Sound Device recorders are very big. They wouldn't be good for what type of recording I do, if you know what I mean. I have seen the other flash recorders, the R09 and Microtracker. I assume that the M10 is the benchmark still between these three models?

I will sometime soon, have to transfer all of my DATs, as they are taking up a lot of room. What is the best way to transfer these from DAT to flash?

The MicroTracks are not as convenient as most for live recording, and many people have had problems with them causing recordings to be lost (usually, I think, when going digi-in). I would use an M10 which has great battery life and good enough pre's that you usually don't need an external preamp.

However, if you can get a used MT 24/96 or MT2 at a good price here or on E-Bay (say $100 or less) that would be a great way to transfer your DAT's since the MT's have a coax digital-in. Other recorders with a digital in are quite a bit more expensive.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Angstroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into this!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »

My process is:

3. Edit and track master

How you are listening to your recordings ?

Generally straight off my computer to either my speakers or headphones hooked up to my computer.

Also just put together a Raspberry Pi running XMBC hooked up to my stereo in my living room (controlled by my Android phone). It pulls the files off my desktop.

Eventually I'm going to put together a media server. Tried that with the Raspberry Pi...but it's not powerful or reliable enough to do that sort of work.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
Here is my workflow:

1. Record to MicroSDHC Cards
2. xfer them to my INHDD/EXHDD
3. Burn 24-bit DVDRs[both WAVS and FLACS]
4. burn 16 AND 24bit TRACKED copies to DVDR
5. UL what I can to archive.org or bt.etree.org
6. Enjoy listening to them

:)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.174 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com