Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Want to make sure this battery & connection will work with my DR-680  (Read 3468 times)

Offline glennjr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Professional Chinese Voice Over
Hello Everyone,
This is my first of hopefully many posts here. I'm new to recording outside of the studio; but hardly a newbie. I consider myself relatively competent, but when electrical matters are concerned I always check and double check before trying it out.

I've been reading the forums here looking for a battery solution for my DR-680. Considering the prices of things where I live, I've decided to try using a 10Ah 12v sealed lead acid rechargeable battery, which was recommended by someone in another post. Apparently the ones I'm finding here are meant for electrical scooters, bicycles and the like. Perhaps a bit heavy, but my current setup is quite sparse - I'll live with it.

Something like this:

The only thing I want to make sure about is how to correctly connect the battery to the DR-680. Here are my solutions. Will they work?

A) Simply make my own connection with a wire soldered to the correct size plug

B) Use something like this:

C) Use this connected to a wire, which goes to the battery terminals:

I don't see why any of these three options wouldn't work; it seems pretty straightforward. However, would there be any problem or easier way to get it done? As much time and cash I spent getting a Busman DR-680 to Taiwan, I don't want to fry it.

Thanks for your wisdom. Looking forward to your replies!

Glenn
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:43:11 AM by glennjr »
ChineseVocal.com  - Professional Chinese Voice Over

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: Want to make sure this battery & connection will work with my DR-680
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:02:22 PM »
You might want to check out this thread.  A couple of folks picked one of these up for the DR-680.  I'm grabbing one as well.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157799.msg200160

Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline glennjr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:21:52 PM »
Yeah, that battery does look promising. They don't ship to Taiwan, but I've found a few comparable models here. Unfortunately they start at $100.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
:facepalm: I certainly wouldn't want to be lugging around a sealed lead acid battery or connect to it using alligator clamps.  There must be better solutions for you in Taiwan.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline glennjr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »
Well, you changed my mind. Looks like I'll be getting a universal-type battery.

I've been searching for them locally and came across this apparent gem.

It's 36000 mAh/133W and sells here for about $170 USD.  What do you think? For the price and features (those I can guess from Google translate that is...) it seems pretty good to me. At least comparing it to what I'm finding locally. Other batteries are around $120 ~ 150 for 18000mah, with seemingly less features. For example, you can piggyback another battery onto this one.

It looks like a small operation by the horrid website, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Anyhow, here's the website. It's all in Chinese, but I think you can get an idea by the numbers alone. They do have an English page, but it's for an earlier version than this one.

http://www.hdb-tech.com/V5.htm

Just copy and paste to google translate (Chinese Traditional). It's rough, but should give you an idea.

Thanks for any opinions.

Glenn

(Ok, I realize with my low post count I may look like a shill here.  I have nearly the same moniker on Gearslutz (glenn_jr) in case you're worried.  Anyhow, I don't have a bunch of cash to throw away on something that won't work; and Taiwan is notorious for "NO RETURNS ON ANYTHING" so hope ya get my situation...) Thanks

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
People with more experience can surely chime in and correct me, but it definitely sounds like a good deal IF those specs are real.

The box reads 24.000 mAh though, not 36.000...

PS. I wouldn't worry about having a low post count dude :) People here will help you without looking at that!
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline glennjr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
Ah, thanks for noticing that. I must have grabbed the wrong pic. They do have a 24000mah at a lower price.

And good point about the specs. Probably no way to tell until you take the plunge. The guy only sells on a couple ebay-like auction sites; so far looks like no complaints. But most likely most people are using them for laptops and such.

Well, if anyone with experience can take a look, please do. If some info isn't easy to find, let me know and I'll get it properly translated (wife will do it)

And yeah, guess I've been reading gearslutz for too long. Some are quick over there to call someone out for being a troll, shill, etc.  :laugh:

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
No lithium options for you in Taiwan? I'd be surprised. A 12V lithium would be ideal, but the 9V DVD batteries work fine also. The only issues with the Tekkeon lithiums was with the variable voltage option where the circuit chooses the voltage. I've used a Tekkeon with the manual locking voltage with no problems. I'd go with the lead if you wanted something to last all weekend for a festi or something, but everyday single show recording, Nah, too much needless weight to lug around. Unless of course you're looking for the workout.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline glennjr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:40:21 AM »
After talking with the guy making the above battery, I decided to go with it (the NB-3C). What sold me was his eagerness and willingness to make me a custom sized battery to piggyback on this one should I need the extra power in the future. Now ASSuming this one works well with my Tascam, I think I'll be in good shape.  It will arrive Friday.  ;D

If it turns out to work well, I'll be sure to post a separate review on it. While searching for more info on this battery, I found some references on Alibaba. So there's a chance someone may be selling a re-branded version of it in your neck of the woods.

Offline glennjr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:04 AM »
Some preliminary comments on the NB-3C...

I tried it with various electronics around the house with no issues, so went ahead and plugged in the Tascam. I connected a 416 and AT825 with phantom power on. So 3 channels total. I gave them a nice healthy level and plugged in headphones; volume about 2 o'clock. Tascam display on the entire time. (although maybe it's always like that when on DC power? It normally shut off when using batteries)

The battery has 4 lights at the top indicating the charge level. It took about 14 hours to eliminate two of the lights. So I could assume it was at 50%. I probably should have let it go all the way to see if they metered correctly, but I figured that was really enough juice for my needs. Had I known it would go that long, I would have added three more mics.

The plugs themselves aren't super tight, but tight enough. I'll need to find an "L" shaped plug to fit into the Tascam, as the current plug that comes with the battery sticks out way too much. And not sure if heat is ever an issue for these kinds of batteries, but this one has nearly none that I can tell. The plastic case is coated with a rubber-like material; maybe this has something to do with it.

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with it so far. After using it a month or so I'll post back. (if anyone cares!)  ;D

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
Some preliminary comments on the NB-3C...

I tried it with various electronics around the house with no issues, so went ahead and plugged in the Tascam. I connected a 416 and AT825 with phantom power on. So 3 channels total. I gave them a nice healthy level and plugged in headphones; volume about 2 o'clock. Tascam display on the entire time. (although maybe it's always like that when on DC power? It normally shut off when using batteries)

The battery has 4 lights at the top indicating the charge level. It took about 14 hours to eliminate two of the lights. So I could assume it was at 50%. I probably should have let it go all the way to see if they metered correctly, but I figured that was really enough juice for my needs. Had I known it would go that long, I would have added three more mics.

The plugs themselves aren't super tight, but tight enough. I'll need to find an "L" shaped plug to fit into the Tascam, as the current plug that comes with the battery sticks out way too much. And not sure if heat is ever an issue for these kinds of batteries, but this one has nearly none that I can tell. The plastic case is coated with a rubber-like material; maybe this has something to do with it.

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with it so far. After using it a month or so I'll post back. (if anyone cares!)  ;D

Here on TS, we're always interested to hear about new powering options! Thanks for the info, and post all the updates you have. Cheers!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Energizer Lithium AA batteries?  rechargable AA batteries?  not sure why you would need a golf cart battery... NB-3C probably works too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com