Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Going to upgrade my mics to phantom power...  (Read 2525 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Going to upgrade my mics to phantom power...
« on: March 23, 2004, 09:59:04 PM »
Alrighty, i contact soundpro re: upgrading my SP-CMC-4 to phantom power and will most likely buy a used PS-2...what else do i need to complete my rig?  I need a preamp eh?  I assume that's what the Ps-2 plugs into then the preamp plugs into the line in (or 7 pin thingy).

So what do you peeps recommend for a preamp to complete my rig?  Something on a budget i suppose but kicks ass...i think i'm willing to spend $300 (and a few bucks more if necessary) to get something worthwhile (and stealthable).  Let me know if i got the rig chain right, thanks!

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Going to upgrade my mics to phantom power...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 12:46:18 AM »
Alrighty, i contact soundpro re: upgrading my SP-CMC-4 to phantom power and will most likely buy a used PS-2...what else do i need to complete my rig?  I need a preamp eh?  I assume that's what the Ps-2 plugs into then the preamp plugs into the line in (or 7 pin thingy).

So what do you peeps recommend for a preamp to complete my rig?  Something on a budget i suppose but kicks ass...i think i'm willing to spend $300 (and a few bucks more if necessary) to get something worthwhile (and stealthable).  Let me know if i got the rig chain right, thanks!

you may want to consider skipping the PS-2 and get a preamp that provides phantom...like the MP2, Beyerdynamics MV-100, Sonosax, etc.  
the sax is out of your $300 price range, but the other 2 fall right in there.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 10:16:02 AM »
 AD-20 fits in that range & is very stealthable.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  So, back to my original question: what else i am missing to make this a complete package?  If i am missing anything that is, eh?  

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 07:52:23 PM »
might run a little more than $300 used, but the mp-2 would be an excellent pre-amp in that price area.

I see you tape Maiden....I take it stealth?, heard they don't care about taping, but they don't strike me as the type that would let the venue know that.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 08:48:17 AM »
might run a little more than $300 used, but the mp-2 would be an excellent pre-amp in that price area.

I see you tape Maiden....I take it stealth?, heard they don't care about taping, but they don't strike me as the type that would let the venue know that.

Hey Creek, you are correct, they dont care if you tape and spread shows out.  Infact, ironmaiden.org/bb, a tapers paradise is linked on the official maiden website.  The venue's of course are not told of the band's stance on taping, i had great success at MSG (thanks to their lax security), but hammerstein ballroom was hell.  Thanks for the rec on the preamp ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.466 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com