Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: car audio...  (Read 5248 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
car audio...
« on: March 24, 2004, 12:53:25 AM »
i just bought a 94 nissan sentra for my work car and the factory system has to go!  basically all i'm looking for is a fairly cheap cd player that has rca in so i can liisten to my ipod.  then i need some speakers that sound better than these shitty factory ones.  i'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that doesn't make my ears bleed like my current system.  also would i need an amp?  sorry i know nothing about car audio  :(

is hooking everything up fairly simple or should i pay someone to do it?

thanks,
justin
save

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:car audio...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 01:00:49 AM »
Hooking everything up is fairly simple if you get a harness for your deck.  Just look through Crutchfield.com ... you know the features you want.  Pioneer speakers offer a really good bang for your $$$.  www.millionbuy.com has really decent prices, or at least did a few years ago when I got my stuff.  You may want to go through crutchfield for your deck even if it's a little more.  They'll give you a harness for your car and good support on the install (with step-by-step instructions from what I remember).

Pioneers are weak on the low end so you'll want to back them up with a sub.  If you don't know what you're doing, you'll want to pay someone to install this.  EDIT:  you'll basically need to know how to completely tear apart your interior and then some to do this properly.  Crutchfield has a lot of good general info, at least they used to in their catalog.  Oh, and no, you won't need an amp, although your speakers will sound better (just like you don't need an amp for headphones).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:22:47 AM by mgleason007 »
Mike

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:05:28 AM »
look at Crutchfield for info, buy somewhere else (unless you like paying MSRP)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:41:57 AM »
CD head units with RCA outputs are commonly used with external amplifiers, not for other devices like an iPod.  For that, several manufacturers make head units with 1/8" inputs on the face of the unit.  Look into those instead.  For cheap head units, I like Kenwood and Clarion Pro, but I don't know if either have this input.

For inexpensive speakers, I would recommend looking into Infinity, JBL, or Rockford Fosgate (I actually like their speakers better than their amps).

I think that Best Buy and Circuit City also have a lot of this stuff so you may want to wander over to those places as well.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 11:00:09 AM »
look at Crutchfield for info, buy somewhere else (unless you like paying MSRP)

For real. Crutchfield is custy central.

iPod's have cassette adapters that you could use with a tape player. Polk also makes fairly good/inexpensive speakers.

As Jaime already suggested, Circuit City and Best Buy are good places to look for most consumer type set-ups.

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 12:09:03 PM »
I think that Best Buy and Circuit City also have a lot of this stuff so you may want to wander over to those places as well.

Yeah, although I wouldn't buy from there.  But it would be a good place to listen to some stuff, although it won't sound at all the same actually in a car.

FWIW the Sony Xplode CD head unit I bought 2 years ago for ~$150 on ebay (another good place) had RCA ins and outs.
Mike

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 05:47:45 PM »
for source units, just find a cd player with an 1/8" input on the front for your ipod, that would be best.  Clarion units are generally nice here.  If you plan to run amps, then check the specs on the preamp outputs, the higher the voltage, the better they'll sound... in general.

Speakers, pretty much anything will sound better than stock, but I'd suggest speakers with external crossovers for your front doors.  Something like the Eclipse point source series.  They should fit into stock locations and the concentrically mounted components sound great for the $$.  If you want more low end, add a 8" or 10" sub, but that will require an amp.  Get better sounding speakers up front than in the rear... after all, YOU drive up front and that's where the sound should be coming from anyways... unless you're used to standing backwards at shows :)

Amps... if you decide to go that route, find something that will run your sub and at least your front 2 door speakers.  MTX is probably decent at a lower price point... although I haven't heard anything from them in years.  I've always stuck with Orion, but they get pricey.  HiFonics is a good choice too for value, the ZX8000 (I think) was a 5 channel amp for ~2-300 new that will run your entire system.

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 06:14:42 PM »
thanks for the tips everyone +t!  my speakers in the front are 6 1/2" and my back 6 3/4".  would i be better off getting some 6x9's and mount them in a box in my back window?  
save

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 06:25:45 PM »
I was in a similar situation as you, and I ended up purchasing a new Alpine head unit off of ebay for $150, about 100 bucks less than it went for in the stores.  You can buy a cable from crutchfield to hook up the ipod ($15).  Definitely sounds 1000 times better than a cassette adapter or FM modulator.  I'd also suggest the Belkin ipod cup holder adapter and the cigarette lighter charger.  They are great accesories.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 06:27:39 PM »
thanks for the tips everyone +t!  my speakers in the front are 6 1/2" and my back 6 3/4".  would i be better off getting some 6x9's and mount them in a box in my back window?  

I wouldn't.  6 3/4" is a really decent size.  You'll get good all-around sound with those speaker sizes.  If you're not looking for a lot of thump just stick with the standard-sized speakers.  Maybe get a 4 channel amp to power them.
Mike

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 10:52:26 PM »
thanks again guys!  now to find a cd player w/ 1/8" input on the front...hmmm
save

Offline jlykos

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 02:25:56 PM »
I have never heard of 6 3/4" speakers.  Put a pair of 6.5" speakers in there and you should be fine.  It is much more trouble than it is worth to get a box or re-cut the rear shelf for 6x9 speakers.  If you really need that much bass, get a 10" sub in a trunk-mounted box with an amp to drive it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 04:56:10 PM »
anybody have any comments on the sony xplod 6 1/2" speakers?  found some decent priced ones on ebay, just wondering if anybody has heard these speakers?
save

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 05:55:51 PM »
I've never actually heard them but most people I've talked to say they suck.  In my experience all Sony consumer electronics suck.  YMMV.
Mike

Offline jlykos

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 07:20:34 PM »
anybody have any comments on the sony xplod 6 1/2" speakers?  found some decent priced ones on ebay, just wondering if anybody has heard these speakers?

I am sure that Best Buy and/or Circuit City has a pair of these.  Go to the store and listen for yourself!

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 10:24:12 PM »
Justin, I've purchased off of this guy about 4 times now for different car stereo decks (mostly Pioneer Premiers) and he has very good prices on almost everything Crutchfield sells.  I also purchased a Infinity BassLink system off of him for my wagon ;D  My wagon has since thumped nicely.

Helps if I put the URL ::)  :smoking:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 10:25:54 PM by npsinboro »
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com