Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding reverb to a dry soundboard source?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Adding reverb to a dry soundboard source?
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
I started experimenting with adding a very slight amount of reverb to my matrix recordings and was wondering if anyone has any extra advice on the best way to do so.

From what I've read so far it sounds like you should add the reverb until you can hear it and then back it off a bit.

Here is an example of what I did with reverb (Soundcloud) vs. without (LMA). In this case I took the untracked matrix recording that is on the LMA and added the reverb to the entire source. Thinking I might try to just add the reverb to the SBD source only next time and leave the AUD source without the reverb (since the room already provides a little bit).

With reverb:
https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark-2/mike-cooley-larimer-lounge

Without:
http://archive.org/details/mikecooley2013-02-24.ck930.sbd.mix.flac16

I'm using the Waves TrueVerb plugin in Wavelab.

Here is what the TrueVerb plug in was set to for the above recording:

For reference here is the manual for TrueVerb:

http://www.waves.com/manuals/plugins/TrueVerb.pdf
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Adding reverb to a dry soundboard source?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »
I've done this, but only when I had spot mics (as I could vary the reverb by instrument). For standard 4ch mixes, I EQ the aud/sbd feeds to highlight something missing in each and then use the audience source as the reverb effect and mix it that way. Case in point, I had a super dry sbd taped in a cave, so I added a db or two of bass in the board tape and added a touch of tube/transistor excitement to just the bass, then mixed. That allowed me to get more of an excited but very "present" and controlled bass without utilizing too much of the boom of the audience recording.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
Instead of adding reverb, couldn't you have made the mics a little louder in the mix? It seems like what you want to add is room ambience, which the mics would provide. Great sounding recording, regardless, though I was getting some static.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Your ears are your best judge in this department. I've been mixing my own recordings on the fly from all the board channels plus my own mics and I add a little reverb on the vocals and occasionally on horns. It really depends on what I'm  hearing though. Some vocals sound better with little or no reverb, some need a fair amount. Some saxes sound fine with none, sometimes they sound dry without adding some verb. I've never felt the need to add any reverb to the rest of the instruments. I try to use a light touch on what I do add. On my board I use the plate reverb with a short initial delay before it kicks in. That short initial pause before the reverb kicks in helps it sound a little clearer. But play around with what you have available in your editor until it sounds right to you. Less is usually more but not always.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
Instead of adding reverb, couldn't you have made the mics a little louder in the mix? It seems like what you want to add is room ambience, which the mics would provide. Great sounding recording, regardless, though I was getting some static.

In this case it was a chatty crowd so I kept the mics a little lower than normal. That plus a dry sounding board made the recording sound a little weird to me.

I think I might go back and try to experiment with some old recordings. I have a few good ones where both the board and mics sound pretty good.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

In this case it was a chatty crowd so I kept the mics a little lower than normal. That plus a dry sounding board made the recording sound a little weird to me.

I think I might go back and try to experiment with some old recordings. I have a few good ones where both the board and mics sound pretty good.

The best way to add reverb is to think of the actual space the recording was done in. And ask your self how lively was the room. And add reverb based on that.. Anything more will make it sound really bad and artificial. Good luck. I dont think we are talking seconds here. More like MS. For reverb with a predelay that will help it get more real sounding then using the mix control. You also have to use the high and low pass filters and low reverb time and high reverb time to get the room to sound more "right then wrong" Remember think of that room you were in.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com