Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Access hard drive index in Windows 7?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Access hard drive index in Windows 7?
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
I have a fiend that recently lost a 2tb hard drive full of shows. You know the story; no backups, etc. The hard drive had been connected to a Windows 7 pc. While none of the loss were masters, he isn't clear on what all was on the hard drive. Since it had been connected, and indexed, by windows 7, is there a way to tap into the index file and see what was on there?  I'm a Mac user, so I'm pretty blind on this one. Not even sure if it is possible, just an idea I had to try to help him.

Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Keytohwy
PS- the hard drive is definitely toast...not looking for advice on how to recover that.

Offline Toke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Access hard drive index in Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
I've been a computer tech for over 13 years.  If you're asking if windows 7 keeps an index of the drive elsewhere from the drive, I haven't ever seen that it does.  There are utilities that may be able to read the file allocation table, or even recreate it.  I used to use Ontrack, but there are plenty of others.   It just depends on what failed on the drive, really.  An old tech trick, put the drive in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer overnight.  Take it out and immediately connect it.  You sometimes get a small window to get what's important. 

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:42 AM »
I've been a computer tech for over 13 years.  If you're asking if windows 7 keeps an index of the drive elsewhere from the drive, I haven't ever seen that it does.  There are utilities that may be able to read the file allocation table, or even recreate it.  I used to use Ontrack, but there are plenty of others.   It just depends on what failed on the drive, really.  An old tech trick, put the drive in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer overnight.  Take it out and immediately connect it.  You sometimes get a small window to get what's important.

I have seen this trick work for 5~10 minutes, until the PC was powered down or seemingly indefinitely.  Always worth a shot when confronted w/ the dreaded click o' death.  Ball bearings are little bastards.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »
If it is worth it (your friend needs to determine that) drive recovery can be done. They either remove the platters in a clean room and place them in a working drive or they replace the drive electronics. Figure roughly $200 to $500 and do a google search of hard drive recovery.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I'd forgotten about the old freezer trick.  I've never seen it actually work, but hey, it's free to try.  My buddy did look into recovery.  The prices quoted (he's in the UK) were slightly higher and not in his budget.  As I say, no masters were lost, but just a town of collecting that needs would need to be done again.

Thanks again for the help, and if anyone else has recommendations, we're up for trying anything.

Offline candor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:27:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I'd forgotten about the old freezer trick.  I've never seen it actually work, but hey, it's free to try.  My buddy did look into recovery.  The prices quoted (he's in the UK) were slightly higher and not in his budget.  As I say, no masters were lost, but just a town of collecting that needs would need to be done again.

Thanks again for the help, and if anyone else has recommendations, we're up for trying anything.

I've had the freezer trick work.  Only once on a failed drive and then it was toes up forever.  Your original post said the hard drive was attached to (rather than installed in) a W7 box.  If it was an external drive, removing it from the case and installing it in the computer or another external housing would also be an option.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com