Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity?  (Read 9894 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Audacity?
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
Never used anything other than Cool Edit 2000 and CDwav. Cool edit gone. Going to try Audacity (yeah last person on earth). But: is there any better freeware out there? Looking for compression, EQ and split on sector boundaries. Any suggestions? Or is this the way to go?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
Audacity is tough to beat.  don't forget that there are plenty of free VST plugins that can make it more useful.  Kjaerhus Audio made some really good free ones that work well with Audacity.   

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Anything where I can change EQ and compression while the show is playing? Audiocity seems to play selections once you "treat" with whatever but is there anything you can use to make changes while you "dial it in"?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »
Well, if you buy Reaper ($60), Reaper will allow you to hear your adjustments immediately while playing back the recording.  It  will also allow you to make A B comparisons where you can click back and forth between settings if you want to compare them.  It has a steeper learning curve than Audacity, but is more flexible, IMO. 

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
Eh, can't be any steeper than Audiocity lol. No, Audiocity seems a lot like Cool Edit, although in cool edit it seems like you could preview the whole file with the settings rather than a 5 second snippet. I need to check that reaper thing out. It would be nice to fool around and see what works on a show over all rather than EQ a whole show based on the worst sounding song. Thanks!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
Anything where I can change EQ and compression while the show is playing?

No, and this is the entire reason I went to Reaper (which as 2manyrocks notes, does have a steep learning curve). The VST support is head and shoulders better.

I still use Audacity after rendering from Reaper because it will track on CD sector boundaries like a champ.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
You're welcome.  Reaper has a free trial period and all the features work.  Nothing is disabled in the trial period.  It's pretty much an honor system of paying for the software if you decide to keep using it. 

Having said this, Audacity is free, easy to use, and works well for many things.  I have it and Reaper and would hate to be without either one. 

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »
As another Mac option, Felt Tip's Sound Studio ($30) also lets you adjust settings on the fly. It's what I switched to after leaving Cool Edit.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
They are giving away Adobe Audition v3 the later version of cool edit

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »
There's been quite a bit of internet discussion about Adobe's rather curious progression of handling Adobe Audition 3 this year (2013).  The current version of their website now says the download is available for  "legitimately purchased" versions.     

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 12:25:39 PM »
There's been quite a bit of internet discussion about Adobe's rather curious progression of handling Adobe Audition 3 this year (2013).  The current version of their website now says the download is available for  "legitimately purchased" versions.     

No they just bury it and make it hard to find.  AA3 is part of the CS2 suite
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads
You need to create a user name for log in and you might have to dig around a little on their site but it is there.  And free  that message has been there from day one. Just get your log in and follow steps. 

You should end up here which will link you to the free downloads and serials:
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html?PID=5628473
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:36:48 PM by kirkd »

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

No, and this is the entire reason I went to Reaper (which as 2manyrocks notes, does have a steep learning curve). The VST support is head and shoulders better.

I still use Audacity after rendering from Reaper because it will track on CD sector boundaries like a champ.

So Reaper doesn't cut on sector boundaries? That seems kind of weird.......Still love good 'ol CDWav......

runonce

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »

So Reaper doesn't cut on sector boundaries? That seems kind of weird.......Still love good 'ol CDWav......

Its just not that practical to perform song/track splits when in a multi-track format...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
pretty much. It might be possible, but it's next door to idiot proof in Audacity and I always check the render before tracking anyway so it's not necessarily an extra step in my workflow.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html?PID=5628473

I'm not sure if it shows up in the link, but this is what the adobe site says if you click into the "download and install CS2 applications:"

You can use the serial numbers provided as a part of the download only if you legitimately purchased CS2, CS2 applications, Acrobat 7, or Audition 3.

Best I can tell from searching, the "legitimately purchased" part was added sometime later after folks started posting on the internet that Adobe was offering Audition 3 for free. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com