Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The old thread was locked this one will not be. Audiophile cable discussion.  (Read 18204 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
I am continuing the thread that was locked out because I think its very important to show all points of view on cables. And If I can convince one person to not spend $6k on a freaking cable It will make me very happy.

Thie thread was locked....http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164940.msg2063446#msg2063446

This new thread will not be.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

Here is the latest and greatest Audiophile nonsense "THE MAGIC USB CABLE" discus.

Its only $585 a real bargan if you ask me for a USB cable! 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQMUSBDIA+.75

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Here is the latest and greatest Audiophile nonsense "THE MAGIC USB CABLE" discus.

Its only $585 a real bargan if you ask me for a USB cable! 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQMUSBDIA+.75

I had to send mine back, I needed a different end...... ;D ::) ::) ::) :facepalm:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Thanks Chris, reposted here are the AES Workshop links from the other thread:

Audio Myths Workshop (Abridged Video) from AES Show #127, October 2009

AES Audio Myths Video - Support Files

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Church-Audio

I think it's funny someone would lock a thread. it's sad that some, well actually most of these cable companies do not have any real facts to back up the claims of miraculous audio improvements. I don't know would you not sell more cables of you could prove your theory's ? I guess not or they would have done it right?

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Every system is diff and everyone's needs should be diff.  I like HQ. connectors and used eichmann plugs  on everything I built.  Also pure silver solid wire   (30 gage).  From Tempo electric I think, great prices!!!   But went that way because of my very low power tube amp.  But that's me, I'm all for good things, hope the smart peeps around here read up on what they really need.  I read just alittle of the last thread, that's all I needed too.  Hope everyone can make or buy what they need.  U have to have a good play back system, or y record  or play music in the first place?  Ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Church-Audio

Every system is diff and everyone's needs should be diff.  I like HQ. connectors and used eichmann plugs  on everything I built.  Also pure silver solid wire   (30 gage).  From Tempo electric I think, great prices!!!   But went that way because of my very low power tube amp.  But that's me, I'm all for good things, hope the smart peeps around here read up on what they really need.  I read just alittle of the last thread, that's all I needed too.  Hope everyone can make or buy what they need.  U have to have a good play back system, or y record  or play music in the first place?  Ed
I agree 100% and my problem is not with people that want very good quality cable in a system because that makes sense to me. but we all know you don't need to spend $1000 on a freaking speaker cable to get a good speaker cable. And for install I like the silver Teflon cable if it has a braid shield and a foil shield it can be good stuff it would not be my first choice for an unbalanced interconnect but for balanced it's good. So is star quad for balanced and Mogami wire is very good for unbalanced connections. capacitance and resistance and the quality of the shield are really important factors. as far as interconnects neutrik make good ones so does switchcraft.

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
I agree on quality components and robust construction.  That's why I build my own cables.
I'm ready to accept claims of improved sound.  All I need is some true (blind or even double-blind) test results.
Don't know why that is so hard to come by.  (or maybe I do know) ;)

Dave

"I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:14:21 AM by dlh »
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
Gotta get this for my playback system: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRCLEBESP&variation=6PSPSP

"If I had to provide one sentence to describe the Clear Beyond, it would state the greatest attribute was its clear, enveloping, natural musical presentation. Very impressive results indeed," notes Brian Boehler at StereoMojo.com, which honored Clear Beyond its Maximum Mojo Award. While not inexpensive, it represents a 'clear' value among state-of-the-art speaker cables."

Clear technology is scientifically demonstrable. It presents a 'clear' technical solution to a core problem that is intrinsic to signal-carrying cables (speaker cables, interconnects, etc.) and will quite 'clearly' improve the sound of connected hi-fi and home theater components.

There you have it. Scientifically demonstrable. Without any "science" to back it up. Sold.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
Gotta get this for my playback system: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRCLEBESP&variation=6PSPSP

"If I had to provide one sentence to describe the Clear Beyond, it would state the greatest attribute was its clear, enveloping, natural musical presentation. Very impressive results indeed," notes Brian Boehler at StereoMojo.com, which honored Clear Beyond its Maximum Mojo Award. While not inexpensive, it represents a 'clear' value among state-of-the-art speaker cables."

Clear technology is scientifically demonstrable. It presents a 'clear' technical solution to a core problem that is intrinsic to signal-carrying cables (speaker cables, interconnects, etc.) and will quite 'clearly' improve the sound of connected hi-fi and home theater components.

There you have it. Scientifically demonstrable. Without any "science" to back it up. Sold.

Hmmmm, 6m pair, $17,180.......that's only $36/inch......niiiiice  ::) ::) :o ::) ::)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I'm interested in seeing evidence of the "core problem intrinsic to signal-carrying cables" as well as the scientifically demonstrable test results indicating how the technical solution addresses it.

Inverse polarity loopback null tests will work very well for detecting differences between the signal prior to, and after transmission through the device under test- in this case a piece of cable.

That is the statement of someone with no experience with either signal analysis or synthesis.

Thanks Jon, I've been meaning to post the same observation. 

In regards to the other statements made in that post, I've recently heard several interesting reports of current fMRI research which shed insight into the neurological basis for absolute pitch (commonly referred to as "perfect pitch"), which go a long way towards demystifying that particular skill.  In addition to that cutting edge technical understanding of how our brains actually function when generate that type of tone recognition, there is the simple cultural observation that although absolute pitch is quite a rare trait in the West, it has an astoundingly higher frequency of occurrence in cultures which have 'tone' based languages such as the various Chinese languages. Presumably that’s due to mastering the necessary skills for an innate command of those languages at an early, still very plastic brain development stage, when brain structure and function develops in response to the need for fine tonal discernment in those languages. Relatedly, when recorded speaking the same word or phrase at different times, tonal language speakers will apparently pronounce the tones at almost always the same absolute pitch, not simply the correct relative pitch for that particular speech session.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:57:25 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jagraham

LOL at people spending 600+ on the "Magic" USB cable. I thought that USB 2.0 and on was pretty much universal, the cable either connects and works or it doesn't. They spend that and it works the same as the free one did that came with my recorder... Is the sound quality going to be magically better because you transfer it with this cable?
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
I'm interested in seeing evidence of the "core problem intrinsic to signal-carrying cables" as well as the scientifically demonstrable test results indicating how the technical solution addresses it.

-snip-

In regards to the other statements made in that post, I've recently heard several interesting reports of current fMRI research which shed insight into the neurological basis for absolute pitch (commonly referred to as "perfect pitch"), which go a long way towards demystifying that particular skill.  In addition to that cutting edge technical understanding of how our brains actually function when generate that type of tone recognition, there is the simple cultural observation that although absolute pitch is quite a rare trait in the West, it has an astoundingly higher frequency of occurrence in cultures which have 'tone' based languages such as the various Chinese languages. Presumably that’s due to mastering the necessary skills for an innate command of those languages at an early, still very plastic brain development stage, when brain structure and function develops in response to the need for fine tonal discernment in those languages.

There are some great articles on Blue Jeans Cable related to the topic being discussed here.  Blue Jeans makes great cable, BTW.  They were my go-to when I wanted the highest quality cable with the least amount of BS, at least until I discovered the great folks here at TS.  ;D
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm

Some of the most pertinent ones:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/doeswirematter.htm
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/do-you-get-what-you-pay-for.htm
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/exoticmaterials.htm

I would love to see the reports you mentioned on fMRI and absolute pitch.  If it indeed ocurrs in higher rates in non-Western cultures, it would be interesting to study how those people discerned pitch in Western vs. non-Western musical scales. 
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I would love to see the reports you mentioned on fMRI and absolute pitch.  If it indeed ocurrs in higher rates in non-Western cultures, it would be interesting to study how those people discerned pitch in Western vs. non-Western musical scales.

I heard about the relationship between tonal languages and absolute pitch on Radiolab.  A search there for Absolute Pitch turns up a number of relavant podcasts, not sure which it was but they are most likely all worthwhile (IMO).

The fMRI research I heard about attending a lecture by David Eagleman last year.  He directs the Laboratory for Perception and Action at the Baylor College of Medicine and I've read a few of his books, which I can also recommended highly.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)

I heard about the relationship between tonal languages and absolute pitch on Radiolab.  A search there for Absolute Pitch turns up a number of relavant podcasts, not sure which it was but they are most likely all worthwhile (IMO).

The fMRI research I heard about attending a lecture by David Eagleman last year.  He directs the Laboratory for Perception and Action at the Baylor College of Medicine and I've read a few of his books, which I can also recommended highly.

Thank you, I will check those out.  On a related topic, I just posted some really great neuroscience-based listening tests. 
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165115.0

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com